Author Topic: Report questions NYC Mayor's proposed budget cuts, costs of migrant influx  (Read 180 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Report questions NYC Mayor's proposed budget cuts, costs of migrant influx
Story by Deborah Van Fleet •
6h

A new report questions New York City Mayor Eric Adams' latest budget proposal for dealing with the city's influx of over 110,000 migrants. The cost for housing the migrants is the reason Mayor Adams is warning city departments to be prepared to trim 15% from their budgets if state and federal funds are not provided soon. But a report from the Fiscal Policy Institute takes issue with Adams' proposal.
Nathan Gusdorf, executive director of the Fiscal Policy Institute, said a 15% cut would mean $2 billion less for New York City's Department of Education, and just under $1.5 billion for the Department of Social Services, and he questions the timing.

"Needless to say, those are essential agencies that all New Yorkers rely on," he said. "But they're also particularly important in terms of providing services and aid to the migrant population, and helping to move things along and remedy the effects of this. "

The report also questions Adams' estimates of the costs associated with the migrant population. The mayor cites nearly $10 billion for the next two years, but Gusdorf points out that $2.5 billion of that has already been budgeted, leaving a total of $6.5 billion remaining for the coming fiscal years. That is significantly less than the $10 billion annually that Adams' across-the-board cuts would bring.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/report-questions-nyc-mayor-s-proposed-budget-cuts-costs-of-migrant-influx/ar-AA1hgoKd?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=857a1825aef1418b8859d17f3f74bfd9&ei=41
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson