Author Topic: Congress leaves for weekend with no shutdown solution in sight  (Read 794 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Congress leaves for weekend with no shutdown solution in sight
« on: September 22, 2023, 01:55:05 pm »
Congress leaves for weekend with no shutdown solution in sight
Juliegrace Brufke

Congress is officially heading home for the weekend after conservative hardliners once again tanked plans to fund the government, forcing House GOP leaders to abandon their latest plan to avert a shutdown on Oct. 1.

Why it matters: House Speaker Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.) has struggled for weeks to find a solution that can garner enough Republican support to pass on the floor. After momentary optimism following Wednesday night's 2.5-hour conference meeting, the House GOP has again reverted to dysfunction.

Earlier Thursday, five GOP hardliners sank a vote to open debate on a Pentagon funding bill for the second time in three days — underscoring the depth of McCarthy's crisis.
    "This is a whole new concept of individuals that just want to burn the whole place down. It doesn't work," McCarthy told reporters after the Pentagon bill went up in flames.

State of play: Conservative Republicans including Reps. Matt Gaetz (Fla.), Andy Biggs (Ariz.), Tim Burchett (Tenn.), Eli Crane (Ariz.), Matt Rosendale (Mont.), Dan Bishop (N.C.) and Cory Mills (Fla.) have expressed opposition to McCarthy's plan. A handful of "soft no's" are also leaning against it.

McCarthy unveiled the 31-day continuing resolution (CR) during a closed-door meeting on Wednesday evening, after leadership opted to pull a procedural vote on a similar plan Tuesday due to a lack of support.
    The new proposal included lower spending levels, language on border security and plans for a commission on spending. But even these concessions failed to sway enough members to assure it would pass on the floor.

more
https://www.axios.com/2023/09/21/kevin-mccarthy-house-republicans-shutdown-likely

Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline christian

• I need to be in love, K.c. R.C.
Re: Congress leaves for weekend with no shutdown solution in sight
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2023, 02:08:52 pm »
IMAGINE DEMOCrats exploiting another government shutdown, just like they have done so many times before!
Will fools ever tire of being fools, before their demise?
Card carrying member of the national F-Joe Biden movement, and his minions

Offline the OlLine Rebel

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2023, 02:44:08 pm »
IMAGINE DEMOCrats exploiting another government shutdown, just like they have done so many times before!
Will fools ever tire of being fools, before their demise?

Emphasis on “SO MANY TIMES”!

Liberals, let that sink in a moment.  “Shut-down” is not that important.
Common sense is an uncommon virtue.

Offline DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2023, 03:09:25 pm »
 ////00000////

Invite the House and Senate back to the Capitol for free ice cream, pizza, and cake.

Once there are more than enough present for a quorum, lock them inside the Capitol unitl they pass a budget that spends at least $1 less than the previous  budget.

I have to do my job.  What don't they?
"It doesn't matter what temperature the room is, it's always room temperature." - Steven Wright

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2023, 03:29:50 pm »
////00000////

Invite the House and Senate back to the Capitol for free ice cream, pizza, and cake.

Once there are more than enough present for a quorum, lock them inside the Capitol unitl they pass a budget that spends at least $1 less than the previous  budget.

Well, you have some folks cheering them not being able to pass a budget because they think a shutdown is good.

Offline DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2023, 07:52:57 pm »
 ////00000////

Shutdown is worthless because they pay the Federal employees, retro-activley, for the days they were furloughed.

What Congressional weasels care about most is campaign fund raising.  When they can't leave the Capitol to fund raise, you'll see how quickly they'll reach a budget deal.
"It doesn't matter what temperature the room is, it's always room temperature." - Steven Wright

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2023, 11:56:00 pm »
Major Bill:
"Well, you have some folks cheering them not being able to pass a budget because they think a shutdown is good."

And I'm one of them.
Let them all stay home.

Offline christian

• I need to be in love, K.c. R.C.
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2023, 12:02:10 am »
oF SO MANY GOVERNMENT SHUTDOWNS OF THE PAST, WHEN DID RAMMING A SHUTDOWN DOWN THE AMERICAN peoples throats not benefit the democrats?  Fools still want to die of being fools, this time they might just succeed!
Card carrying member of the national F-Joe Biden movement, and his minions

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2023, 02:48:07 am »
    "This is a whole new concept of individuals that just want to burn the whole place down. It doesn't work," McCarthy told reporters after the Pentagon bill went up in flames.

Burning it down would be preferable to what the GOP leadership has settled for over the last 20 years.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Online roamer_1

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2023, 02:59:58 am »
Well, you have some folks cheering them not being able to pass a budget because they think a shutdown is good.

'Budget', as you used it, must be taken very, very loosely, I'd reckon.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2023, 03:01:34 am »
////00000////

Because SHUTDOWN is not on the table.