Author Topic: Cyber attacks reveal uncomfortable truths about US defenses  (Read 150 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Cyber attacks reveal uncomfortable truths about US defenses
« on: September 24, 2023, 04:41:25 pm »
Cyber attacks reveal uncomfortable truths about US defenses
By Chad Heitzenrater
 Thursday, Sep 21

As has been reported time and again, the U.S. critical infrastructure is under constant attack, held at risk by the insecurity of the computing systems that operate its most essential services. Increasingly, the means for this misconduct are the very tools employed in the name of cybersecurity.

In May. Microsoft identified Volt Typhoon, a Chinese actor targeting critical infrastructure in Guam – a critical U.S. interest in the Pacific – since at least 2021. While the campaign involved many notable features, there is one aspect that has yet to garner the attention it deserves: the security devices employed to protect the system contained the very vulnerabilities used by the actors to gain access.

This is not the first time security software has been abused, as it presents a juicy target: operating at elevated levels of privilege and storing some of the most sensitive data.

Once again, the security community is faced with a few uncomfortable truths. First, it should be recognized that cybersecurity systems can be just as flawed as the systems they protect. Development of cybersecurity tools falls victim to the same pressures and incentives that leave other software insecure, such as rushed delivery cycles and a market that values new features over greater quality.

https://www.c4isrnet.com/opinion/2023/09/21/cyber-attacks-reveal-uncomfortable-truths-about-us-defenses/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson