Author Topic: Durbin Won’t Call for Menendez to Resign Amid Bribery Charges  (Read 335 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Durbin Won’t Call for Menendez to Resign Amid Bribery Charges
« on: September 24, 2023, 02:42:31 pm »
Durbin Won’t Call for Menendez to Resign Amid Bribery Charges

Pam Key 24 Sep 2023

Sunday on CNN’s “State of the Union,” Sen. Dick Durbin (D-IL) declined to call on Sen. Bob Menendez (D-N.J.) to resign after he was indicted on federal corruption and bribery charges.

Anchor Dana Bash said, “Senator Bob Menendez is due in federal court on Wednesday on bribery and corruption charges, including allegations that he received gold bars, a luxury car, and hundreds of thousands of dollars in bribes, and he gave sensitive government information to Egypt. He is denying these charges, I should say. But many Democratic members and officials in New Jersey are saying that he should resign. Do you?”

Durbin said, “This is a very serious charge. There’s no question about it. But it bears reminding us of what I’ve said about the indictments against Donald Trump, equally serious charges. These are, in fact, indictments that have to be proven. Under the rule of law, a person who is accused is entitled to the presumption of innocence. And it’s the responsibility of the government to prove that case.”

He continued, “I said that about Donald Trump. I’ll say the same thing about Bob Menendez. But the Senate Democratic caucus has a hard and fast rule. When indicted, you lose your position in leadership or chairmanship of a committee. That is what has happened with Senator Menendez. He lost the chairmanship of one of our most important committees, the Senate Foreign Relations Committee. In terms of resignation, that’s a decision to be made by Senator Menendez and the people of New Jersey.”

Durbin added, “These are charges that have to be proven, and there is a presumption of innocence. How far it goes in terms of his future service is something to be decided by the senator and the people of New Jersey.”

more
https://www.breitbart.com/clips/2023/09/24/durbin-wont-call-for-menendez-to-resign-amid-bribery-charges/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Hoodat

Re: Durbin Won’t Call for Menendez to Resign Amid Bribery Charges
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2023, 03:50:44 pm »
Durbin has always been a worthless POS.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2023, 05:23:37 pm »
Durbin equates Menendez indictments to Trump's 'equally serious charges'

by Eden Villalovas, Breaking News Reporter
September 24, 2023 11:46 AM

Senate Majority Whip Dick Durbin (D-IL) called the charges against Sen. Bob Menendez (D-NJ), who was indicted this week on federal bribery charges alongside his wife, equally as serious as the charges brought against former President Donald Trump.

“It bears reminding us of what I've said about the indictments against Donald Trump, equally serious charges,” Durbin said on CNN’s State of the Union on Sunday.

“These are, in fact, indictments that have to be proven under the rule of law, the person who is accused is entitled to the presumption of innocence, and it's the responsibility of the government to prove that case,” Durbin said. “I said that about Donald Trump, I'll say the same thing about Bob Menendez.”

On Friday, the New Jersey senior senator was indicted for the second time in 10 years, after a 2015 indictment ended in a mistrial in 2018. In the latest investigation, Menendez and his wife, Nadine Arslanian, were accused of taking hundreds of thousands of dollars in bribes, which included a luxury car and gold bars.

Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer announced on Friday that Menendez will step down temporarily from serving as chair of the Foreign Relations Committee, noting he has a right to due process and a fair trial.

more
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/senate/durbin-menendez-indictments-trump-equally-serious-charges
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2023, 05:43:28 pm »
These are, in fact, indictments that have to be proven. Under the rule of law, a person who is accused is entitled to the presumption of innocence. And it’s the responsibility of the government to prove that case.”

I'm forced to agree with Durbin on that. I HATE the current trend of convicting people in the media before they have their day in court regardless of who it is.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online berdie

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2023, 12:14:51 am »
I'm forced to agree with Durbin on that. I HATE the current trend of convicting people in the media before they have their day in court regardless of who it is.
https://www.gopbriefingroom.com/Smileys/default/wink7777.gif