Author Topic: AOC says there is 'absolutely' grounds for effort to oust McCarthy from speakership  (Read 171 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
AOC says there is 'absolutely' grounds for effort to oust McCarthy from speakership
by Emily Jacobs, Congressional Reporter
September 24, 2023 12:40 PM

Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-NY) said on Sunday she is not ruling out potentially supporting a Republican-led effort to oust House Speaker Kevin McCarthy (R-CA).

The New York Democrat made the comments after being asked during an appearance on CBS’s Face the Nation about Rep. Matt Gaetz (R-FL) and other House Republicans threatening to bring a motion to vacate against McCarthy. Ocasio-Cortez said there were “absolutely” grounds for such a motion, arguing that McCarthy had “been very weak.”

“I think that we would have to cross that bridge when we get to it,” the progressive lawmaker said of supporting a motion against McCarthy, adding that he has “engaged in just absolutely terrible decision making for the American people … We are at the brink of a shutdown right now, and so, absolutely, I think there is grounds.”

“However, we are also in the midst of an extremely chaotic Republican Party, and we do not want chaos to reign in Washington either,” she continued. “So again, I think that is a bridge that we'd cross if we get to it. That is something that the Democratic caucus would also have to come together on and decide how we want to navigate as a collective as well.”

more
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/house/aoc-mccarthy-speakership-motion-to-vacate
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34