Author Topic: Seniors have stopped eating at Cracker Barrel, Olive Garden  (Read 1654 times)

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: Seniors have stopped eating at Cracker Barrel, Olive Garden
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2023, 06:02:31 pm »
LOL!  That just tells us you've been living in a cave.

It's no wonder you've developed the rigid POV.

Of course, I just went out this morning to remind me why I don't go out anymore!  888high58888
Well, there is an Olive Garden in the same State I am, but it's 250 miles away.

Needless to say, I haven't visited.

I have had much better luck with local diners and truck-stop type cafes than chains anyway. Franchises may have that baked in sameness that lots of folks find comfortable, and some times the local 'greasy spoon' is a disappointment, but as a rule they either serve reasonably good food or don't last long.

How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online mountaineer

« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2023, 06:07:34 pm »
Sad to say I used to cook at an OG. They were concerned with quality control, but it all depends on the manager of the individual locations. Some are more preoccupied with controlling food costs than putting out tasty dishes.

We decided to eat out this Monday - probably will visit a locally-owned Greek restaurant.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online roamer_1

« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2023, 06:14:01 pm »
I have had much better luck with local diners and truck-stop type cafes than chains anyway. Franchises may have that baked in sameness that lots of folks find comfortable, and some times the local 'greasy spoon' is a disappointment, but as a rule they either serve reasonably good food or don't last long.

That's right. Diners, rib joints, cafes, and truck stops... All right up my alley.  888high58888

Online libertybele

« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2023, 06:19:36 pm »
Sad to say I used to cook at an OG. They were concerned with quality control, but it all depends on the manager of the individual locations. Some are more preoccupied with controlling food costs than putting out tasty dishes.

We decided to eat out this Monday - probably will visit a locally-owned Greek restaurant.

Our local Olive Garden was one of the first restaurants to offer 'curbside' during the pandemic. They opened up as soon as they were allowed and still offer curbside and orders are usually ready within a half hour. Their portions are pretty large and I think the quality is decent and pretty tasty; lots of meat with the sauces and lots of salad and breadsticks.  Usually they give us enough for a second meal for the both of us. For a chain restaurant, I really can't complain.

Enjoy your Greek restaurant -- we don't have one around here.  :shrug: 
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2023, 06:22:33 pm »
I haven't eaten at many OGs (not even when I worked there), but believe the food quality is fairly consistent from restaurant to restaurant. My Cracker Barrel experience is even more limited - can think of only one visit at least 10 years ago, and can't recall what I had. Nevertheless, restaurants around here seem pretty busy, post-Covid. Their big problem is getting kitchen help, as no one wants to work.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2023, 06:25:52 pm »

:yowsa: and for reasons unknown the management at our local OG changes very frequently making visits there like a box of chocolates. You never know what you are going to get.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online libertybele

« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2023, 06:29:13 pm »
:yowsa: and for reasons unknown the management at our local OG changes very frequently making visits there like a box of chocolates. You never know what you are going to get.

:laugh:
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #32 on: September 23, 2023, 06:45:36 pm »

There was a time I was going to bail on MickeyD's and one of the employers I interviewed with was OG. It was an eye opener, the hours they wanted a manager to work were more than the high hours I was already earning, plus it would have been an income drop...BUT they said the potential wage was much higher with bonuses. Yeah I had no trouble envisioning what it would take in cuts to food costs and labor to even get a shot at a bonus. I took a pass on their offer **nononono*

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #33 on: September 23, 2023, 06:59:02 pm »
Years ago when my boys were 10-12 years old we went to Springfield to the OG there...my son doesn't like tomato sauce so he ordered spaghetti with just butter..after a few bites he spits out a mouthful of spaghetti into his napkin...and there was a broken part of the metal draining pot...I noticed our server and motioned for him to come over and said...*I need to see the manager*...he asked why and I showed him the hunk of metal my son almost choked on....the manager was very apologetic..I could have made a scene but no harm was done..he sent us all a slice of tiramisu which I love and no one else does so I took home 3 slices of tiramisu for myself.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #34 on: September 23, 2023, 09:26:30 pm »
Begs the question...who paid?

I can't recall. 
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline berdie

« Reply #36 on: September 23, 2023, 10:18:41 pm »
We only eat out locally on special occasions -- birthday, anniversary, valentines -- or when we are out of town. I cook. I guarantee you that when we do eat out, it won't be at Olive Garden or Cracker Barrel. I already have the restaurant picked out for my November birthday, a steakhouse. They have a senior menu and it will be the first time I'm qualified to order from that menu.

Happy early Birthday! @ladylibery Next month is mine, and it is one of the BDs that the first number changes on. :facepalm:

Much like you, my choice of restaurants is the local steakhouse. I can't wait. When I worked, I ate out for lunch (my main meal) every day. Now I cook every day so it will be a treat. :laugh: Although it still amazes me how the prices have gone up.