Author Topic: Army failing to ensure family housing ‘safe’ from lead paint, asbestos  (Read 325 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Army failing to ensure family housing ‘safe’ from lead paint, asbestos
Internal auditors faulted Army officials for failed oversight of recent policy changes.
By Davis Winkie
 Sep 21, 06:47 AM

The Army’s internal auditors recently concluded that the service has failed to ensure that privatized on-base homes with lead-based paint or asbestos are “safe for Army families,” according to an August 2023 report exclusively obtained by Army Times via the Freedom of Information Act.

The report, based on an Army Audit Agency study, said that the Army’s revamped housing inspection program, established in 2020, has lacked “effective oversight.” The study reviewed inspections of 201 homes built before 1978 — when lead-based paint and asbestos materials were banned from use in new homes — at three installations: Fort Cavazos, Texas; Fort Liberty, North Carolina; and Joint Base Lewis-McChord, Washington.

“Army housing office personnel didn’t ensure all assessments were done and documented to certify that homes with lead-based paint and asbestos-containing material were habitable,” the agency found. “This occurred primarily because Army housing supervisors didn’t provide effective oversight.”

https://www.militarytimes.com/news/your-army/2023/09/21/army-failing-to-ensure-family-housing-safe-from-lead-paint-asbestos/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: Army failing to ensure family housing ‘safe’ from lead paint, asbestos
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2023, 05:16:27 pm »
I'm sure news such as this has no effect on recruiting! :whistle:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2023, 05:23:33 pm »
 ////00000////

No effect on recruiting, whatsoever.

Overseas military members sleep well at night knowing that their families are safe at home, consuming the USDA recommended daily allowance of lead and asbestos.
"It doesn't matter what temperature the room is, it's always room temperature." - Steven Wright

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2023, 09:53:11 pm »
Well in all fairness to current Army leadership(much as it galls me), the Army has failed to ensure family housing safe....period! Whether you are talking about lead pain, black mold, rotten plumbing which by the way probably fails all current codes for lead exposure, and just plain decrepit buildings. I have lost count of how many times over the years I have read horror stories of military housing that not only the enlisted but their families live in. Always the democrats reach into the deep pocket of taxpayers for illegals and now the Ukraine, but somehow for decades they can never find the money to decently house those who have committed their lives to the defense of America and Americans 9999hair out0000 9999hair out0000