Author Topic: Chip Roy furious at fellow Republicans over spending debacle: 'Eat a s--- sandwich'  (Read 214 times)

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
Chip Roy furious at fellow Republicans over spending debacle: 'Eat a s--- sandwich'

Rep. Chip Roy, R-Texas, vented frustration at his Republican colleagues who are opposing a stopgap proposal to avert a government shutdown cobbled together by the conservative House Freedom Caucus and the more pragmatic Main Street Caucus.

Rep. Chip Roy, R-Texas, vented frustration at his Republican colleagues who are opposing a stopgap proposal to avert a government shutdown cobbled together by the conservative House Freedom Caucus and the more pragmatic Main Street Caucus.

FIRST ON FOX: Rep. Chip Roy, R-Texas, vented frustration at his Republican colleagues who are opposing a stopgap proposal to avert a government shutdown cobbled together by the conservative House Freedom Caucus and the more pragmatic Main Street Caucus.

If a Republican opposes a 30-day, 8% cut to the non-defense, non-veteran federal government with the best border security bill we've ever had attached to it, I honestly don't know what to say to my fellow Republicans other than you're gonna eat a s--- sandwich, and you probably deserve to eat it
," Roy told Fox News Digital on Wednesday.

"I'm an equal opportunity basher of stupid, and I think this is stupid."

It comes after negotiators for the Freedom Caucus, including Roy, and the Main Street Caucus unveiled their proposal for a continuing resolution, known as a CR, on Sunday night. It would cut discretionary government spending by 8% from current levels, except for the military and Veterans Affairs, and included most of H.R. 2 save for a provision on eVerify.

But more than a dozen conservatives voiced opposition to the deal. Some said they wanted to see commitments on total spending from all 12 appropriations bills to not exceed $1.471 trillion before they would move on a CR.

Man of those holdouts are members of the House Freedom Caucus, of which Roy is the policy chair.

Roy told reporters outside a House Judiciary Committee hearing on Wednesday, "I mean, right now, again, everything is centered on what will be a spending topline and to get appropriations done."

"I mean, I'm happy to if we can move a couple of appropriations bills at [$1.471 trillion], meaning their relative amounts that would achieve [$1.471 trillion], great, I'd be on board with doing that. But, you know, we don't have agreement on that," he said.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/chip-roy-furious-at-fellow-republicans-over-spending-debacle-eat-a-s-sandwich

That's the policy chair of the Freedom Caucus calling out those who are obstructing the deal.

In short, there isn't yet agreement within the GOP caucus on how to get all 12 bills in under the total target number.  That's what happens when you have a razor thin majority and everyone doesn't agree.

So they crafted a 30 day stopgap bill just to buy time to hammer out agreement on those bills, and those handful refuse.  And that's just within the GOP caucus.

What this means is that there is going to be a government shutdown not because of disagreement between the Republican House and Democrat Senate, but because the Republican House refuses to pass even a temporary measure.

I'm sure that a shutdown sounds wonderful to some -and the longer the better - but that's not what is going to happen.

The most likely consequence of this is that a few House Republicans will join with the Democrats to pass a "clean" continuing resolution with no cuts, and no border security bill.  Why?  Because there isn't even a GOP alternative for which they can vote.

That's the sh*t sandwich to which Roy is referring.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2023, 10:50:53 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »