Author Topic: West Point sued over using race as an admissions factor  (Read 266 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
West Point sued over using race as an admissions factor
« on: September 20, 2023, 03:31:15 pm »
West Point sued over using race as an admissions factor
By Michael Hill, The Associated Press
 Sep 19, 06:08 PM

Students for Fair Admissions claims the U.S. Military Academy sets benchmarks for how many Black, Hispanic and Asian cadets there should be in each class. The lawsuit filed in New York’s Southern District claims West Point is violating the Fifth Amendment of the U.S. Constitution, which contains an equal-protection principle that binds the federal government.

Proposals to the annual defense authorization bill would extend the Supreme Court's ban on the practice to military schools.

By Leo Shane III
“Instead of admitting future cadets based on objective metrics and leadership potential, West Point focuses on race,” according to the complaint. “In fact, it openly publishes its racial composition ‘goals,’ and its director of admissions brags that race is wholly determinative for hundreds if not thousands of applicants.”

The academy said in a prepared statement that it “does not comment on ongoing investigations to protect the integrity of its outcome for all parties involved.”

https://www.armytimes.com/news/your-army/2023/09/19/west-point-sued-over-using-race-as-an-admissions-factor/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: West Point sued over using race as an admissions factor
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2023, 03:32:51 pm »
The lead horse in the race for Chairman of the Joint Chiefs must be disappointed. :pondering:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
Re: West Point sued over using race as an admissions factor
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2023, 11:22:17 pm »
It's good that this is happening.

Yeah, the Supreme Court court said that it's decision this past summer doesn't address the military academies.  But they might nevertheless be forced to actually admit it, which would be a good thing.  And if the Supreme Court says "yes, but we're going to allow the military to discriminate because we will defer to their professional judgment as to what is necessary", we may be able to use that principle later with respect to undoing some of the social engineering.