Author Topic: Marine’s adoption of Afghan orphan could be seen as abduction, US says  (Read 358 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Marine’s adoption of Afghan orphan could be seen as abduction, US says
By Martha Mendoza, Claire Galofaro and Juliet Linderman, The Associated Press
 Sep 15, 11:15 AM

The U.S. government has warned a Virginia judge that allowing an American Marine to keep an Afghan war orphan risks violating international law and could be viewed around the world as “endorsing an act of international child abduction,” according to secret court records reviewed by The Associated Press.

It is rare for the federal government to step into a local custody case, but concern about the child’s fate has stretched across the Trump and Biden administrations. The Justice Department argued in the court documents that the dispute has ramifications that extend far beyond the rural courthouse where the girl’s future is being decided.

Failing to return the child, now age 4, to Afghan relatives in the U.S. could jeopardize American efforts to resettle Afghan refugees, threaten international security pacts and might be used as propaganda by Islamic extremists — potentially endangering U.S soldiers overseas, Justice Department attorneys and other U.S. officials warned in court filings seeking to intervene in the case.

https://www.militarytimes.com/news/your-marine-corps/2023/09/15/marines-adoption-of-afghan-orphan-could-be-seen-as-abduction-us-says/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Re: Marine’s adoption of Afghan orphan could be seen as abduction, US says
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2023, 10:12:25 pm »
Failing to return the child, now age 4, to Afghan relatives in the U.S. could jeopardize American efforts to resettle Afghan refugees, threaten international security pacts and might be used as propaganda by Islamic extremists — potentially endangering U.S soldiers overseas, Justice Department attorneys and other U.S. officials warned in court filings seeking to intervene in the case.

Gee golly, will they hate us more?
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Re: Marine’s adoption of Afghan orphan could be seen as abduction, US says
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2023, 12:49:46 am »
I don't get it.  If the boys relatives who are no living in the US wanted the boy,they could have stopped the adoption before they left Shitstainistan.

I SUSPECT the only reason they want him now if for another government check to come in the mail each  month.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!