Author Topic: Marines Considering Autonomous Systems for Almost Everything, General Says  (Read 279 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Marines Considering Autonomous Systems for Almost Everything, General Says
By: John Grady
September 6, 2023 8:45 PM

Marines are looking to push as many tasks as possible to autonomous systems as the service aims to operate across wide swaths of the Pacific.

The Marines are working on several avenues to add autonomy to the service, Lt. Gen. Karsten Heckl, Marine Corps deputy commandant for combat development and integration, told the audience at the Defense News conference Wednesday.

“If you take the [person] out of it, things get simpler and they typically get more efficient, and they get less expensive,” he said.

“You should try to go after everything.”

An example is the under-development low-profile autonomous ships the Marines are considering for contested resupply. The idea came from America’s ongoing counter-narcotics operations in the Caribbean and the Eastern Pacific, Heckl said.

“We just copied the drug lords out of South America,” he said.

https://news.usni.org/2023/09/06/marines-considering-autonomous-systems-for-almost-everything-general-says
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Re: Marines Considering Autonomous Systems for Almost Everything, General Says
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2023, 05:59:25 pm »
At one point the Marines were just an army for the navy sort of thing right? No disrespect meant at all.

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: Marines Considering Autonomous Systems for Almost Everything, General Says
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2023, 05:59:27 pm »

“We just copied the drug lords out of South America,” he said.

Is this an admission drug dealers are more creative than the Pentagon? :pondering:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson