Author Topic: DeSantis needles Trump, Biden over their ages: ‘Legitimate concern’  (Read 442 times)

Offline Kamaji

DeSantis needles Trump, Biden over their ages: ‘Legitimate concern’

By Victor Nava
Published Sep. 13, 2023

Former President Donald Trump and President Biden are both too old to run the country effectively, Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis argued Tuesday.

An “energetic president” is needed in the Oval Office, according to the 2024 White House hopeful, who called the advanced age of the Republican presidential primary front-runner and the sitting commander-in-chief a “legitimate concern” for voters in an interview with “CBS Evening News” host Norah O’Donnell.

“I think that’s absolutely a legitimate concern. The presidency is not a job for someone who is 80 years old,” DeSantis, 44, said when O’Donnell asked if the electorate should be concerned about Trump and Biden’s age.

Trump, 77, would be 82 years old by the end of his second term in office if he were to defeat Biden in 2024.

Biden, 80, is already the oldest president in US history and would be 86 years old by the end of his second term, if re-elected.

“There’s nothing wrong with being 80. Obviously, I’m the governor of Florida. I know a lot of people who are elderly. They’re great people, but you’re talking about a job where you need to give it 100%,” DeSantis argued.

Source:  https://nypost.com/2023/09/13/desantis-needles-trump-biden-over-their-ages/

Offline LMAO

Re: DeSantis needles Trump, Biden over their ages: ‘Legitimate concern’
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2023, 12:49:38 pm »
Although both men’s ages are a legitimate concern, when it comes to cognitive functioning, the difference between Biden and Trump is obvious
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2023, 01:12:50 pm »
Although both men’s ages are a legitimate concern, when it comes to cognitive functioning, the difference between Biden and Trump is obvious

I'd agree...but when you get up to Trump's age, decline is a legit possibilty.  And once someone is elected, it's too late as a practical matter.

Plus, it's a legit taking point/issue for some voters regardless.  After watching Biden's decline, they may not want to take a risk like that again.

Offline LMAO

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2023, 03:16:54 pm »
I'd agree...but when you get up to Trump's age, decline is a legit possibilty.  And once someone is elected, it's too late as a practical matter.

Plus, it's a legit taking point/issue for some voters regardless.  After watching Biden's decline, they may not want to take a risk like that again.

And I think voters are not only going to scrutinize geriatric candidates more intensely than they have in the past, but also their character

I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2023, 03:30:30 pm »
And I think voters are not only going to scrutinize geriatric candidates more intensely than they have in the past, but also their character

I'd like to believe that's true, but there is a certain number of people who are going to pull the lever for anything with a "D" behind the name. 
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2023, 03:40:46 pm »
I'd like to believe that's true, but there is a certain number of people who are going to pull the lever for anything with a "D" behind the name. 

:thumbsup:

Offline cato potatoe

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2023, 04:20:55 pm »
80 is too old to be working full time, much less POTUS.  Let's face it --- Biden and Trump entered a state of mental decline years ago.  Donald may use uppers to high-energy sniff n' snort his way through an interview, but his answers are shallow and he tends to ramble just like Joe.

Offline DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2023, 04:42:48 pm »
Joe Biden is no Strom Thurmond.

Joe Biden is dealing with cognitive decline.

Donald Trump is a malignant narcissistic pyschopath.

Neither are mentally fit to be President again.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2023, 08:17:58 pm »
Yes, but different types of senility (frontotemporal in Trump's case vs. Lewy body/Alzheimer's-like in Biden's) are still senile.

Biden looks lost, but Trump looks agitated.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2023, 08:20:04 pm »

Because that's exactly what they did last time.