Author Topic: Former Marine Corps general says the Taliban’s relationship with al-Qaeda is ‘far stronger’ than wit  (Read 238 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Former Marine Corps general says the Taliban’s relationship with al-Qaeda is ‘far stronger’ than with US
BY MIRANDA NAZZARO - 09/10/23 2:55 PM ET

Gen. Frank McKenzie, a former commander of the United States Central Command, said Sunday the Taliban’s relationship with al-Qaeda is “far stronger” than with the United States.

McKenzie was shown a clip of President Biden in June where he responded to some of the documented failures of the U.S. withdrawal from Afghanistan, telling reporters, “Remember what I said about Afghanistan? I said al-Qaeda would not be there. I said it wouldn’t be there. I said we get help from the Taliban. I was right.”

When asked on CBS’s “Face The Nation” about Biden’s description of the U.S. working with the Taliban, McKenzie said, “While [the Taliban] might … make some temporary accommodation as they did when we withdrew from Afghanistan, they weren’t to be trusted, and they actually have a long-term familial and customary relationship with al-Qaeda, and it’s very difficult to think that would change. I think that relationship is far stronger than any potential relationship they choose with the United States.”

https://thehill.com/policy/international/4196912-former-marine-corps-general-says-the-talibans-relationship-with-al-qaeda-is-far-stronger-than-with-us/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson