General Category > Health/Education

FDA panel says common over-the-counter decongestant doesn’t work

(1/5) > >>

mystery-ak:
FDA panel says common over-the-counter decongestant doesn’t work
Story by Berkeley Lovelace Jr

A key ingredient in many over-the-counter cold and allergy medications called phenylephrine doesn’t work to get rid of nasal congestion, a Food and Drug Administration advisory panel concluded Tuesday.

The unanimous vote, which specifically declared oral formulations of phenylephrine ineffective, is expected to disrupt the market for OTC cold and allergy remedies, where consumers largely prefer pills over nasal sprays.

Phenylephrine — found in drugs including Sudafed PE, Vicks Sinex and Benadryl Allergy Plus Congestion — is the most popular oral decongestant in the United States, generating almost $1.8 billion in sales last year, according to data presented Monday by FDA officials.

The drug is thought to relieve congestion by reducing the swelling of blood vessels in the nasal passages.

more
https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/other/fda-panel-says-common-over-the-counter-decongestant-doesn-t-work/ar-AA1gC0kL?ocid=winp2fptaskbarhover&cvid=d803cb18d27047da9e06d52d481e7568&ei=9

Smokin Joe:
If it reduces swelling, is it an anti-inflamatory?

Apparently a lot of people think it works, or it would not be a top selling decongestant ingredient.

Polly Ticks:
Apparently the behind-the-counter-so-you-supposedly-can't-make-meth version is still good, though.  My husband can't take it though, due to blood pressure issues. 

PeteS in CA:
I can't comment wrt dosage, but phenylephrine works well for me on the rare occasion I use it. Nasal sprays, while effective have a nasty rebound effect as it wears off, to as bad or worse than before using it. One can easily get "hooked" if you do not realize what it does (BTDTGTTS).

corbe:
   Like all drugs they disapprove were once approved by this same organization.  Follow the $$$$.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version