Author Topic: Countering China’s Use of Information Laundering via Minds and Media  (Read 227 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Countering China’s Use of Information Laundering via Minds and Media
By Sakeena S. Siddiqi
September 12, 2023
Mariia Shalabaieva via Unsplash

Earlier this year, The Strategy Bridge asked civilian and military students around the world to participate in our seventh annual student writing contest on the subject of strategy.

Now, we are pleased to present an essay selected for Honorable Mention from Sakeena Siddiqi, a recent graduate of the Eisenhower School.

China’s influence operations have evolved to employ “information laundering” to shape global narratives. Information laundering—the process of introducing disinformation into the Internet ecosystem and legitimizing it through transitions from fringe sites to public discourse—is the next generation of information operations. While Russia’s 2016 election interference is a well-documented and heavily litigated example of this process, China’s social media forays have been characterized as more overt and less skillful.[1] Their actions have garnered minimal engagements, were easily attributed, and were ultimately blocked as state-sponsored content.[2] However, China’s recent history with influence operations demonstrates a continually evolving tactic and narrative, with information laundering as the most recent and successful approach. “Borrowing a boat out to sea” translates to a Chinese term for the government’s approach to using foreign media to deliver its message.[3]

What It Is
Information laundering follows a three-step process.[4]

Placement constitutes the development of a counterfeit narrative.

Layering progresses the narrative through multiple platforms, using enablers, amplifiers (e.g., influencers), and accelerators (e.g., echo chambers) to help the narrative to go viral while hiding the original source.

Integration introduces this narrative into mainstream discourse via traditional and new media.

The process benefits the originator by obscuring their identity while influencing perceptions, gaining followers, and normalizing the positions of the originator.[5] The narrative washes through four types of enablers: “discovery (search engines), information (news and research), opinion (blogs and discussion forums), and expression (social networks, gaming, and online shopping).”[6] Borrowing their credibility results in the counterfeit narrative appearing factual.[7]

https://www.realcleardefense.com/articles/2023/09/12/countering_chinas_use_of_information_laundering_via_minds_and_media_978925.html
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: Countering China’s Use of Information Laundering via Minds and Media
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2023, 05:29:14 pm »
I thought wokeness and CRT were what counters all that! *****rollingeyes*****
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson