Author Topic: Chicago to house migrants in tents, mayor open to budget cuts like NYC  (Read 225 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Chicago to house migrants in tents, mayor open to budget cuts like NYC
Chicago is projected to spend more than $250 million on migrants in 2023 alone.

National Border Patrol Council President Brandon Judd says New York Governor Kathy Hochul is using federal humanitarian aid to encourage asylum seekers to cross the border illegally. “This is a politician that went out and sent a clear message to all people that might want to cross our borders illegally: ‘Go ahead and come and we’re going to give you a reward. We’re going to reward you for violating our laws’,” says Judd.

By Madeleine Hubbard
September 12, 2023 9:10am

Updated: September 12, 2023 9:10am

Chicago is setting up tents to house an influx of illegal migrants, more than 1,500 of whom have been sleeping in police stations for months, as Mayor Brandon Johnson says he is open to budget cuts similar to New York City to address the growing crisis.

"The City Council was briefed on the Mayor's plan to establish military grade tent basecamps in order to decompress police stations, whose floors are where over 1,500 asylum seekers will be sleeping tonight, as they have for months," Chicago Alderman Andre Vasquez said after a meeting Friday, the Center Square reported Monday.

Chicago is projected to spend more than $250 million on migrants in 2023 alone.

"I believe that it is important that everything is on the table, that's my position," Johnson said Friday about the city's budget conversations. "As far as how I am thinking about it, it really is about making sure the priorities that we set position us to grow our economy in the budgets to come."

https://justthenews.com/government/local/chicago-house-migrants-tents-mayor-open-budget-cuts-nyc
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline dfwgator

Re: Chicago to house migrants in tents, mayor open to budget cuts like NYC
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2023, 05:11:22 pm »
Send More!

Offline Kamaji