Author Topic: Are You Better Off Today Than You Were Four Years Ago?  (Read 334 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Are You Better Off Today Than You Were Four Years Ago?
« on: September 11, 2023, 03:50:54 pm »
September 11, 2023
Are You Better Off Today Than You Were Four Years Ago?
By Brian C. Joondeph

What a great question going into the 2024 presidential election!

It was asked over 40 years ago and led to one of the biggest landslide elections in U.S. history.

As the Harvard Kennedy School summarized:

In the final week of the 1980 presidential campaign between Democratic President Jimmy Carter and Republican nominee Ronald Reagan, the two candidates held their only debate. Going into the Oct. 28 event, Carter had managed to turn a dismal summer into a close race for a second term. And then, during the debate, Reagan posed what has become one of the most important campaign questions of all time: “Are you better off today than you were four years ago?” Carter’s answer was a resounding “NO,” and in the final, crucial days of the campaign, his numbers tanked. On Election Day, Reagan won a huge popular vote and electoral victory. The “better off” question has been with us ever since. It’s simple common sense makes it a great way to think about elections. And yet the answers are rarely simple.

This is the question that Donald Trump, or whoever is the ultimate GOP nominee, should be constantly asking. At the next GOP debate, rather than debating Trump’s temperament and fitness to serve, while he is leading the GOP pack by 50 points, they should be hammering the question of whether average Americans are better or worse off than they were four years ago.

more
https://www.americanthinker.com/articles/2023/09/are_you_better_off_today_than_you_were_four_years_ago.html
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Re: Are You Better Off Today Than You Were Four Years Ago?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2023, 03:59:50 pm »
I'm not. It's not all Biden's fault, as we went from 2 incomes to 1.5 as my wife now works part time. But things like energy prices are out of control.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2023, 04:04:17 pm by Weird Tolkienish Figure »

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2023, 04:03:24 pm »
I am... But surgery that cleared up 20 years of screaming pain probably ain't what they're going for  happy77

Offline LMAO

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2023, 04:44:44 pm »
I think most people would answer that with a resounding “no.”

But the administration keeps telling everybody how great things are going
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2023, 11:46:21 pm »
Marginally so, for reasons completely unrelated to national and state government that have both done their darndest to make my life a living Hell, and there are a lot of days it feels like it.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2023, 11:47:32 pm »
September, 2019 ... yes, I was better off than I am in September, 2023.
"It doesn't matter what temperature the room is, it's always room temperature." - Steven Wright

Offline catfish1957

• FJB!!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2023, 11:48:22 pm »
Yeah, but is my own doing, and despite our idiotic corrupt government
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2023, 12:51:34 am »
No, we are not better off today than four years ago.  We are experiencing skyrocketing prices on insurance, groceries, gas, and taxes, like many people.
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.