Author Topic: Americans Overwhelmingly Support Age Limits For Elected Officials: POLL  (Read 267 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Americans Overwhelmingly Support Age Limits For Elected Officials: POLL
Senator Feinstein Returns To Capitol Hill After Months-Long Absence

GRAHAM DUDLEY
ASSISTANT EDITOR
September 10, 2023
1:31 PM ET

More than three-quarters of Americans believe there should be a maximum age limit for elected officials, a position backed by voters of all ages and across the political spectrum, according to a poll released Sunday.

Seventy-seven percent of all Americans hold this view, including 76% of Democrats surveyed and 79% of Republicans, the CBS News/YouGov poll found. The poll comes as 80-year-old President Joe Biden faces withering approval numbers ahead of his reelection bid, 81-year-old Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell struggles with public health problems and Republicans seem poised to renominate former President Donald Trump, 77. (RELATED: Biden Is ‘Too Old,” Harris Is Not Electable, Former Democrat Senator Says)

Responses were nearly identical across all ages in the survey, which found that voters under 45 (77%), voters between 45 and 65 (77%) and even voters over age 65 (78%) all back the maximum age proposal in equal measure. Age 70 was pegged most frequently as the appropriate limit, with 45% of respondents backing that option.

https://dailycaller.com/2023/09/10/overwhelming-majority-americans-support-maximum-age-limits-elected-officials/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
Re: Americans Overwhelmingly Support Age Limits For Elected Officials: POLL
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2023, 05:06:29 pm »
Easiest way to get this passed is for Congress to pass a constitutional amendment with a provision delaying its effect until some years down the road. That would remove politics of the moment from the debate as it would not be seen as targeted at any particular individuals.

Offline Kamaji

Re: Americans Overwhelmingly Support Age Limits For Elected Officials: POLL
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2023, 05:54:13 pm »
Easiest way to get this passed is for Congress to pass a constitutional amendment with a provision delaying its effect until some years down the road. That would remove politics of the moment from the debate as it would not be seen as targeted at any particular individuals.

:thumbsup: