General Category > Crime And Punishment

Portland City Council passes ban on hard drug use in public — but state lawmakers must give OK

(1/1)

Kamaji:
Portland City Council passes ban on hard drug use in public — but state lawmakers must give OK

By Allie Griffin
Published Sep. 6, 2023

Portland City Council unanimously voted Wednesday to enact a ban on the use of hard drugs like fentanyl, heroin and meth on public property in an effort to improve the Oregon city’s livability.

The council voted 5-0 to approve the emergency ordinance which adds criminal penalties to public drug use, including up to six months in jail or a $500 fine, the Oregonian reported.

“These are necessary, common-sense steps to disrupt debilitating drug use on the streets of Portland that does deep damage to our city’s livability, overwhelms our emergency response system and destroys lives,” Commissioner Rene Gonzalez said, according to the local outlet.

However, the ordinance is powerless unless Oregon state lawmakers pass a new law that would allow cities and other municipalities the authority to regulate public drug consumption — which residents voted to decriminalize in a 2020 ballot measure.

Source:  https://nypost.com/2023/09/06/portland-passes-ban-on-hard-drug-use-in-public-but-state-pols-must-ok/

Kamaji:
Well, y'all did vote to allow it originally.  Sucks when you get exactly what you asked for, doesn't it?

GtHawk:
Good luck stuffing the Genie back in the bottle now that you have taught the most undesirable of humankind that they could get away with anything in your city. Where will you find the police to enforce your ban? And even if the police do arrest and jail violators what difference will it make when your DA's and prosecutors release them back to the streets almost immediately? It would almost easier to nuke Portland and start all over.

DefiantMassRINO:
I bet I'd do hard time if I used a gasoline-powered leaf blower.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version