Author Topic: Trump-era official Mick Mulvaney floats idea of a constitutional amendment to block older Americans  (Read 400 times)

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
Trump-era official Mick Mulvaney floats idea of a constitutional amendment to block older Americans from running for election

Mick Mulvaney has floated the idea of a constitutional amendment to bar older Americans from running for public office or serving as an Article III judge.

"Consider something along the lines of the following: 'It shall be unlawful for any person to stand for federal election after that person has reached 75 years of age. Furthermore, it shall be unlawful for any Article III judge to serve after reaching the age of 75,'" Mulvaney wrote.

He acknowledged that ratification of such an amendment would render both President Joe Biden and former President Donald Trump ineligible to run in 2024. Currently, the two men are the clear frontrunners in their respective parties' presidential primaries.

"Ratification would immediately upend both the 2024 presidential election, as both Joe Biden (80) and Donald Trump (77) would be disqualified. Justice Clarence Thomas (75) would be forced to retire. And roughly 20 percent of the U.S. Senate, including Mitch McConnell (81), Bernie Sanders (81), and Joe Manchin (76), would be prohibited from running for re-election," Mulvaney noted. ..............

https://www.theblaze.com/news/mick-mulvaney-constitutional-amendment-age
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
If it's a good idea (I don't think it is....), make it not effective until 3 years after the date it is ratified by the requisite number of states.  Take the politic of the moment out of it, and it might pass.

Hell, make it inapplicable to current office holders.

Offline Kamaji

If it's a good idea (I don't think it is....), make it not effective until 3 years after the date it is ratified by the requisite number of states.  Take the politic of the moment out of it, and it might pass.

Hell, make it inapplicable to current office holders.

Generally agree, although the effective date should be long enough so that it doesn't influence the current, and the next succeeding, election cycle, so it may need to be more than three years.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Meh, let the people decide no?

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Meh, let the people decide no?
I'm with you.  If the people don't want to elect people who are competent, that's up to them. Note that an age limit might keep out fully qualified people who are capable without blocking those who are not. An age limit would not have kept Fetterman out, for instance.

I think term limits for Congress are a good idea, though.

Neither, however, would limit the tenure of the deep state bureaucrats.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online mountaineer

Chuck Grassley will turn 90 in about 11 days, and he's still sharp as a tack. John Fetterman is 54, and he's drooling in his marijuana stash.
It's not age, it's mental infirmity. I agree, the voters should decide whether the old candidate is suitable to serve.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org