Author Topic: Live Stream: Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton’s Impeachment Trial  (Read 10410 times)

Offline Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
Your head is screwed on very straight @Ghost Bear

Always good to know!  :0012: :beer:
Let it burn.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
I think #4 (defeating George P.) and #6 above are specifically what triggered this impeachment.  I have no insider information, I am a complete outsider, so that's just my impression.

I think it's a sound impression.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
I think it's a sound impression.

It is! But don't think for a minute that those other four things didn't play into it.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
It is! But don't think for a minute that those other four things didn't play into it.

Sure, but I think his handing Prescott Bush his ass in the election was a major precipitating factor.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
Sure, but I think his handing Prescott Bush his ass in the election was a major precipitating factor.

:yowsa: There can be no doubt about that. Joe Straus and Dade Phelan grew on the same vine. Or, put another way, fruits of the same poison tree.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2023, 07:22:30 pm by Bigun »

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Former Paxton Deputy Accused of Staging a Coup

Texas Scorecard by  Brandon Waltens September 6, 2023

Jeff Mateer and other employees sent correspondence from the Office of the Attorney General on which they had removed Paxton’s name from the letterhead.

Testimony offered in the Senate’s impeachment trial of Attorney General Ken Paxton raises questions about who has been behind the movement to oust him from office, with a former top deputy accused of staging a coup.

Wednesday marked the second day of the trial and picked up where yesterday’s proceedings stopped, with the prosecutions’ first witness, Jeff Mateer.

Mateer, who is currently the Chief Legal Officer at First Liberty Institute, formerly served as the First Assistant Attorney General under Paxton.

He resigned from the position in October of 2020 after he, along with seven members of the AG’s office, accused Paxton of engaging in unethical acts and abuse of office in order to help real estate developer Nate Paul.

Additionally, Buzbee revealed that Mateer and other employees had sent correspondence from the Office of the Attorney General on which they had removed Paxton’s name from the letterhead.

“You were involved in staging a coup, weren’t you?” Buzbee asked, pointing to Mateer’s meeting with the governor’s office, communication with Texans for Lawsuit Reform, and the removal of Paxton’s name from the letterhead.

More: https://texasscorecard.com/state/former-paxton-deputy-accused-of-staging-a-coup/

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Already, 8 senators line up to support Ken Paxton in 'ambush' impeachment

WND 9/6/2023

'An undemocratic assault on the will of voters'

There's an impeachment going on in the Texas legislature now. Attorney General Ken Paxton is being targeted on allegations of bribery and such.

But the case also has been described as largely political by critics and as the proceedings begin, he already has support from eight of the 10 state senators he would need to be cleared.

That's the number who voted that most of the case should be thrown out because the events happened before his most recent election.

He was voted to trial in the state Senate by a vote in the state House, and is facing 16 counts related to misuse of his office.

A commentary from WND columnist Andy Schlafly charged that the case was an "ambush impeachment" and an "undemocratic assault on the will of voters."

They had returned him to the AG's office by some 800,000 votes last year.

Schlafly explained, "Texas House Speaker Dade Phelan, who was elected by pandering to Democrats, 'kept this under wraps until the end, there wasn't a lot of time for Paxton's defenders to react,' observes Rice University political scientist Mark Jones."

Paxton certainly has offended a number of major powers, with his fight against Joe Biden's open borders agenda and his decision to investigate Pfizer over COVID-19.

Sen. Ted Cruz, R-Texas, has called him "the strongest conservative AG in the country. Bar none" in recent years.

More: https://www.wnd.com/2023/09/already-8-senators-line-support-ken-paxton-ambush-impeachment/

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Re: Live Stream: Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton’s Impeachment Trial
« Reply #32 on: September 06, 2023, 11:26:58 pm »
Title correction
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #33 on: September 07, 2023, 01:05:42 am »
His fellow republicans voted to have this trial.  Let's see how this plays out.

Ever heard of the back room term "arm twisting"?

That happens when you have semi-local wet noodled pols, who realize that Dade Phelan could doom their political careers with 2 or 3 calls.

And for the record, I am not a DJT supporter, so that theorie is out.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2023, 01:10:49 am by mystery-ak »
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #34 on: September 07, 2023, 12:02:47 pm »
Live Updates From the Ken Paxton Impeachment Trial’s Second Day

Texas Monthly 9/6/2023

Tuesday, Texas senators decided that the Texas attorney general must stand trial. Today we’ll get straight to testimony.

Why Tony Buzbee Keeps Bringing Up George P. Bush

Alexandra Samuels, 3:22 p.m.

Buzbee’s questions and occasional editorial comments on testimony are trying to suggest that the impeachment proceeding has been orchestrated by a group of Republicans in Name Only, including Jeff Mateer, currently on the stand, and . . . former land commissioner George P. Bush. In various instances, Buzbee has pushed Mateer, one of the staffers who blew the whistle on Paxton, to elaborate on the timeline of the whistleblower lawsuit and his communication with the attorney general about it. Specifically, Buzbee is angling for an answer as to why the eight former aides didn’t tell Paxton that they went to the FBI until October 1, 2020—the same day, Buzbee noted, that Bush applied to reactivate his law license.

Bush is one of several Republicans who levied a primary challenge against Paxton in 2022. Paxton routed him in a runoff. Buzbee hasn’t said it directly, but it seems like he’s trying to get Mateer to admit, under oath, that the whistleblowers, Bush, and leadership-aligned groups such as Texans for Lawsuit Reform were trying to get Paxton out of office. It’s unclear whether this argument will pass muster—especially because one doesn’t need a law license to serve as attorney general of Texas.

The Jury Is Starting to Get Restless

Mimi Swartz, 2:55 pm.

Tony Buzbee scored his points early in his cross-examination of Jeff Mateer, as I wrote before. Now the examination has devolved, for a seeming eternity, into a back-and-forth concerning the hiring of Brandon Cammack, a lawyer Paxton brought on to investigate complaints Nate Paul had raised about the FBI raid of his home. Hardin, who stayed quiet during the cross-examination before the lunch break, finally objected to the line of questioning.

The senators, for the most part, are trying to stay alert, though degrees of slumping can be observed. Donna Campbell of New Braunfels was momentarily curled over her desk in a position of seeming abject despair. Angela Paxton, crisp in a blue-and-white-checked jacket and a matching blue shirt, meanwhile, is watching intently. Her husband is still MIA.

Why One Allegation Against Paxton Keeps Getting Considerable Play

Christopher Hooks, 1:50 p.m.

The flashiest allegations levied against Ken Paxton involve personal misconduct or venal corruption, and they have gotten a lot of attention: Nate Paul hired Paxton’s mistress, Nate Paul paid for Paxton’s kitchen renovation, that sort of thing. But a much lesser-known incident has already surfaced a couple times, and it has to do with an unexpected topic: Ken Paxton’s conditional appreciation for COVID restrictions.

Knowledge of the incident in question is not new. According to House investigators, Paul’s real estate empire was floundering, and he needed breathing room. In a remarkable coincidence, Paxton’s AG’s office fired off an opinion that public foreclosure sales could not be held because of restrictions limiting crowd size during the early days of the pandemic. (Side note: his office asked Senator Bryan Hughes, of Mineola, to request the opinion—creating the circumstances for what would become one of the impeachment proceeding’s many conflicts of interest.) When the employee tasked with writing the opinion initially opined that foreclosure sales were fine, he was allegedly told that Paxton wanted it to say otherwise.

More: https://12ft.io/proxy?q=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.texasmonthly.com%2Fnews-politics%2Fken-paxton-impeachment-day-two-witness-testimony%2F

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #35 on: September 07, 2023, 01:34:18 pm »
Really doesn't seem like anything ground shattering.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #36 on: September 07, 2023, 01:40:27 pm »
Really doesn't seem like anything ground shattering.

Unless you are a member of the Bush clan and someone has the audacity to kick your @$$ in an election.

Texas Attorney Tony Buzbee Cuts Right to the Heart of it, The Bush Family Influence

As the second day of the impeachment trial of Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton took place, his lawyer Tony Buzbee brought immediate sunlight onto the motives of those who want Paxton removed.

Ken Paxton defeated George P Bush in the primary race. The Bush clan and professional republicans in the Texas political circle were not happy.

Jeff Mateer was the Asst. AG when Paxton took office; Mateer is part of the professional republican apparatus who did not like Paxton, and Mator became a whistleblower against his boss. In this soundbite Tony Buzbee puts the timeline of activity in front of Mateer, including the date that George P Bush reactivated his law license.

https://youtu.be/vu3KYszCDhU
« Last Edit: September 07, 2023, 02:08:33 pm by Bigun »

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Last Edit: September 07, 2023, 03:15:34 pm by mystery-ak »
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #38 on: September 08, 2023, 10:01:17 pm »
Paxton defense presses whistleblower on what evidence he brought to FBI

Texas Tribune by Patrick Svitek Sept. 8, 2023

On cross examination, Paxton’s defense attorney launched into whistleblower Ryan Vassar for bringing no physical evidence when he and others reported their boss to the FBI. Vassar said he was a witness and not an investigator.

A whistleblower’s comment that he and his associates “took no evidence” when they reported Ken Paxton to the FBI has turned into an early flashpoint in the attorney general’s impeachment trial.

The comment Thursday from Ryan Vassar set off jubilation among Paxton supporters and prompted a House lawyer, Rusty Hardin, to coach Vassar through a clarification Friday.

Vassar said he meant physical evidence, and Hardin asserted that Vassar going to the FBI was inherently a form of evidence because he was a witness to a potential crime.

Vassar, the former deputy attorney general for legal counsel, was among the top Paxton aides who went to the FBI in October 2020 to share concerns that Paxton was abusing his office to help Nate Paul, an Austin real estate investor and Paxton campaign donor. The articles of impeachment accuse Paxton of going to extraordinary lengths to help Paul investigate his perceived enemies as his businesses were floundering.

Cross examining Vassar on the witness stand Thursday afternoon, Paxton lawyer Mitch Little zeroed in on the decisions the whistleblowers made before reporting Paxton to the FBI. As part of that, he pointedly asked Vassar: “I want to get this straight: You went to the FBI on Sept. 30 with your compatriots and reported the elected attorney general of this state for a crime without any evidence, yes?”

“That’s right,” a stone-faced Vassar replied. “We took no evidence.”

Little paused for dramatic effect.

Vassar had previously disputed the premise of the line of questioning — that the whistleblowers would be expected to bring evidence to the FBI to report their concerns. But his “no evidence” comment quickly took on a life of its own, giving pro-Paxton forces an opening after a trial that began Tuesday with a barrage of setbacks as senators rejected all of Paxton’s pretrial motions to dismiss the articles of impeachment.

“BOMBSHELL: Lead ‘Whistleblower’ In AG Ken Paxton Impeachment ADMITS No Evidence Submitted To FBI,” the pro-Paxton Conservative Political Action Conference tweeted.

"Their entire case is falling apart," Jonathan Stickland, the head of a pro-Paxton group, said Friday on Steve Bannon's "War Room" podcast. "We have witnesses come up and say, 'Yeah, I went to the FBI with absolutely no evidence.'"

More: https://www.texastribune.org/2023/09/08/ken-paxton-impeachment-trial-ryan-vassar/

Offline PeteS in CA

« Reply #39 on: September 09, 2023, 12:06:00 am »
OK, I'm half a continent away, but the contradiction between this shampeachment claim:

The articles of impeachment accuse Paxton of going to extraordinary lengths to help Paul investigate his perceived enemies as his businesses were floundering.

and this accuser's testimony:

My opinion was that our experiences were evidence, but we did not take our own investigation to provide documentary evidence of what we had come to learn,” Vassar said.

is grossly obvious. Paxton went "to extraordinary lengths", but the accusers went to the FBI with no memos, no cell phone recordings, no meeting notes (not even their own!), no emails, not even a fortune from a fortune cookie?! There should have been eyes rolling on the floor from rolling out of their sockets.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2023, 12:07:08 am by PeteS in CA »
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Idiot

« Reply #40 on: September 09, 2023, 02:13:17 am »
Evidence so far is making this a waste of time.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #41 on: September 09, 2023, 02:18:18 am »
Evidence so far is making this a waste of time.

Like I told you at the beginning, they have no evidence!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #42 on: September 09, 2023, 01:32:00 pm »
Bush-Connected Lawyer Hasn’t Billed Paxton ‘Whistleblowers’ for 3 Years

Texas Scorecard by  Brandon Waltens   September 8, 2023

Paxton’s defense once again noted, “there are no coincidences in Austin.”

Testimony in the Senate’s impeachment trial of Attorney General Ken Paxton has revealed that a Bush-connected lawyer has not billed whistleblowers for his representation.

Many of the impeachment charges were spurred by a group of employees of the Office of the Attorney General that reported Ken Paxton to the FBI in 2020 due to what they said was illegal and unethical abuse of office.

On Friday, cross-examination continued of Ryan Vassar, former deputy assistant attorney general for legal counsel and one of those whistleblowers.

Mitch Little, one of Paxton’s lawyers, asked Vassar about his legal representation by Johnny Sutton.

Sutton has strong ties to the Bush family. He was an advisor to George W. Bush when he served as Texas governor, and Sutton was later appointed to be a U.S. attorney when Bush was in the White House.

More: https://texasscorecard.com/state/bush-connected-lawyer-hasnt-billed-paxton-whistleblowers-for-3-years/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q387s3IWaGM

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #43 on: September 10, 2023, 03:01:10 pm »
I have voted for Paxton since 2014 and will continue to do so whenever he's on the ballot. You can make up your own mind. I ain't a teacher. I try to stay away from religion and politics discussions. I just post articles I find interesting. No one is perfect.

Offline PeteS in CA

« Reply #44 on: September 10, 2023, 03:32:09 pm »
I'm not a Texan, so I don't vote there, but when an unrighteous or flawed individual does right things, they did right things. Some wise guy wrote about that about 2 millennia ago. And when religious people do unrighteous things, they are hypocrites who did unrighteous things. That wise guy wrote about that, also, in the same context.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2023, 03:34:10 pm by PeteS in CA »
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #45 on: September 10, 2023, 03:45:26 pm »
I'm not a Texan, so I don't vote there, but when an unrighteous or flawed individual does right things, they did right things. Some wise guy wrote about that about 2 millennia ago. And when religious people do unrighteous things, they are hypocrites who did unrighteous things. That wise guy wrote about that, also, in the same context.

:thumbsup:

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #46 on: September 10, 2023, 04:38:51 pm »
I have voted for Paxton since 2014 and will continue to do so whenever he's on the ballot. You can make up your own mind. I ain't a teacher. I try to stay away from religion and politics discussions. I just post articles I find interesting. No one is perfect.

I've known Ken Paxton for quite a while. I have never attended Church with him or asked anything about his personal life, but I will vote FOR him for any office he seeks either here in Texas or elsewhere.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2023, 04:45:41 pm by Bigun »

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #47 on: September 11, 2023, 09:11:20 pm »
Paxton Trial: Where We Stand

The Luke Macias Show Sep 11, 2023

Back in may, Andrew Murr, Ann Johnson and the leadership in the Texas House promised that Ken Paxton was a felon. That he was a criminal. They promised that even though they didn't produce any evidence, or cross examine any witnesses, that the facts and the law would be determined by the Senate, with the evidence produced at the trial.

Well, we are not more than halfway through the trial, and the Texas House has not produced evidence.

Also, the Defend Texas Liberty PAC has released its monthly statewide GOP voter poll and there are some remarkable findings this month. Donald Trump has experienced a post debate bump, and voters are almost unanimous in their opposition of Jacey Jetton's bill to give taxpayer money to mental health facilities that use transgedner ideology in their treatment with children.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afxKXjivDjQ&t=0

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #48 on: September 11, 2023, 09:21:58 pm »
Today's (9/11/2023) proceedings have been nothing other than SOSDD.

Bottom line is that a cabal of Office of the Attorney General employees went to the FBI with exactly ZERO evidence of any crime.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2023, 09:22:54 pm by Bigun »

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline PeteS in CA

« Reply #49 on: September 11, 2023, 10:35:42 pm »
Is it time to cue Clara Peller?