Author Topic: US vice chair of Armed Services Committee promises ‘resolute reaction’ if Taiwan is attacked  (Read 243 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
US vice chair of Armed Services Committee promises ‘resolute reaction’ if Taiwan is attacked
BY HUIZHONG WU
Updated 5:20 AM EDT, September 1, 2023

TAIPEI, Taiwan (AP) — A United States congressional delegation visiting Taiwan said Friday that Washington would act if the island was attacked and promised to resolve the $19-billion backlog in its defense purchases from the U.S.

“Know that any hostile unprovoked attack on Taiwan will result in a resolute reaction from the U.S.,” said Rob Wittman, vice chair of the House Armed Services Committee, in a speech, ahead of meetings with President Tsai Ing-Wen.

U.S. law requires Washington provide Taiwan with the means to defend itself and treat all threats to the island as matters of “grave concern,” but remains ambiguous on whether it would commit forces in response to an attack from China.

Wittman of Virginia, along with Carlos Gimenez of Florida and Jen Kiggans of Virginia, arrived Thursday for a three-day visit to Taiwan. The three Republicans are meeting with Tsai and the head of Taiwan’s National Security Council Wellington Koo.

https://apnews.com/article/taiwan-us-congress-defense-aid-spending-a8cfb03d6a96aaec3a473a169e793677
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
First of all, what does "resolute reaction" entail?  That is political mumbo-jumbo for the "action" will depend on how many political points can be scored and who can be blamed if it fails? :tongue2:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
Milley will use his covert "backchannels" which he brags about, to warn his commanding officers in the China government of any attack.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline catfish1957

• FJB!!!!
  • Political Researcher
I seriously doubt the Chicoms are scared of military leadership more hell bent worrying woke causes and faggotry than core mission.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.