Author Topic: The time is now to go all in on modernizing weapon systems  (Read 211 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
The time is now to go all in on modernizing weapon systems
« on: September 04, 2023, 04:26:47 pm »
The time is now to go all in on modernizing weapon systems
By Mike Weigand
 Friday, Aug 11

A communications pod installed in a KC-46 Pegasus will allow the F-35 Lightning II and F-22 Raptor to connect and instantly receive and transmit the most up-to-date information to ensure the warfighters maintain decision superiority. This concept is known as Capability Release #1 under the Advanced Battle Management System framework. The ABMS is the Department of the Air Force’s contribution to Joint All Domain Command and Control, or CJADC2, a DoD effort to digitally connect all elements of the U.S. military – from sensors to shooters – across all five warfighting domains: air, land, sea, space and cyberspace. (U.S. Air Force graphic)

In the fifteen months since Putin’s unprovoked and illegal invasion of Ukraine, the Ukrainian armed forces have been engaged in what some have called the first hybrid war, combatting their invaders on the ground, in the air, at sea, and in cyberspace at the same time. As the largest military conflict of the cyber age, there is much to be learned from the war in Ukraine. But today, one thing is already clear: weapon systems are vulnerable to cyberattack.

In recent years, there has been a growing drumbeat of warnings about the vulnerability of American weapon systems. In its January 2023 report Challenges in Establishing a Comprehensive Cybersecurity Strategy and Performing Effective Oversight, the Government Accountability Office raised warnings about mission-critical vulnerabilities and security risks to Operational Technology assets – such as the Department of Defense’s weapon systems. As far back as 2018, GAO had raised the issue in its report, Weapon Systems Cybersecurity: DOD Just Beginning to Grapple with Scale of Vulnerabilities; very little has changed in the ensuing five years.

There is, however, reason to be hopeful.

In recent months, many senior leaders at the DoD and in Congress have all approached weapon system’s vulnerabilities with a renewed sense of urgency.

https://www.c4isrnet.com/opinion/2023/08/11/the-time-is-now-to-go-all-in-on-modernizing-weapon-systems/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: The time is now to go all in on modernizing weapon systems
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2023, 04:28:48 pm »
Great!  Will they work like on the drawing board?  Probably not based on recent military "successes." :shrug:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: The time is now to go all in on modernizing weapon systems
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2023, 10:48:02 pm »
Reliability is paramount.

God knows how many great set-ups were wasted with bad torpedoes in the early part of the War in the Pacific in WWII.

Especially with air defense, this could win or lose a war.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis