Author Topic: ‘Latinx’: Why do many Hispanics hate the term?  (Read 602 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
‘Latinx’: Why do many Hispanics hate the term?
« on: September 04, 2023, 12:09:22 pm »
KTLA5 by Russell Falcon 9/2/2023

National Hispanic Heritage Month officially kicks off Sept. 15, marking the 35th year of the celebration of Hispanic cultures and their contributions to the U.S. As Hispanic people continue being one of the U.S.’ most visible communities, many questions about terminology arise.

The current most common ways Hispanic populations refer to themselves are “Hispanic,” “Latino/Latina” and “Chicano,” but the newer gender-neutral term “Latinx” attempts to be more inclusive to non-binary members of the population.

“Non-binary” means those who don’t identify as male or female: These are people who have a gender that blends elements of either, or people have a gender that is neither male or female. Additionally, as the National Center for Transgender Equality says, some people don’t identify with any gender and some people’s gender identity changes over time.

But although it may have good intentions, the term has yet to be integrated by most Hispanic people, data shows. And while some people’s reasonings for disliking the term may well be rooted in transphobia, for others, the issue is the word itself.

Naysayers call the term a form of “neocolonialism,” or a way for non-Hispanic progressives to control what Latin people call themselves — in other words, a “white people thing.”

“This is a blatant form of linguistic imperialism — the forcing of U.S. ideals upon a language in a way that does not grammatically or orally correspond with it,” say authors of a notable Swarthmore College essay titled “The argument against the use of the term ‘Latinx.'”

Authors Gilbert Guerra and Gilbert Orbea — who are not opposed to non-binary language, they say — continue: “It seems that U.S. English speakers came upon Spanish, deemed it too backwards compared to their own progressive leanings, and rather than working within the language to address any of their concerns, ‘fixed’ it from a foreign perspective that has already had too much influence on Latino and Latin American culture.”

More: https://ktla.com/news/nationworld/latinx-why-do-many-hispanics-hate-the-term/

Online mountaineer

Re: ‘Latinx’: Why do many Hispanics hate the term?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2023, 12:58:55 pm »
But although it may have good intentions, the term has yet to be integrated by most Hispanic people, data shows. And while some people’s reasonings for disliking the term may well be rooted in transphobia, for others, the issue is the word itself.
Who said good intentions were behind it? I don't think so. And it has nothing to do with "transphobia" - is that even a real thing? - but the fact that it's stupid and invented and meaningless. We already have words to describe our particular ethnic backgrounds. We don't need new idiotic ones.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2023, 04:18:14 pm »
Who said good intentions were behind it? I don't think so. And it has nothing to do with "transphobia" - is that even a real thing? - but the fact that it's stupid and invented and meaningless. We already have words to describe our particular ethnic backgrounds. We don't need new idiotic ones.

These are people who think "Xe" and "Xem" are reasonable pronouns....
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2023, 09:30:39 pm »
I can see a segment of the population pronouncing that as "La Tinks"
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2023, 09:35:38 pm »
I can see a segment of the population pronouncing that as "La Tinks"

Did somebody call me over here?  :cool:

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2023, 10:23:05 pm »
Did somebody call me over here?  :cool:
Have you guys got a lot of smoke today? It's thick here.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2023, 11:58:17 pm »
Ok,someone needs to explain to me WHY they need a new name.

I honestly don't understand what was wrong with the "Hispanic" identifier? It covers them all,regardless of skin tone or gender,right?
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2023, 01:38:46 am »
Have you guys got a lot of smoke today? It's thick here.

Nope. Clear as a bell coming at you if the flow comes normal.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2023, 03:08:21 am »
Nope. Clear as a bell coming at you if the flow comes normal.
Wind is from the north, not the west...

C S Lewis

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2023, 05:02:16 am »
Wind is from the north, not the west...

Nuts.  :shrug:

Must be the hump keeping it off of us... Like I said more than once, we're tied harder to the PacNW than the rest of the continent because of the divide.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2023, 07:12:37 am »
Nuts.  :shrug:

Must be the hump keeping it off of us... Like I said more than once, we're tied harder to the PacNW than the rest of the continent because of the divide.
Different wind pattern.
Best site for smoke because it also has wind vectors on it: https://www.iqair.com/us/usa/montana  If I can get the scratch together, I may become a contributor to this network. We are in a huge data gap here. You can go full page, zoom in or out and move the map, too.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2023, 07:13:38 am by Smokin Joe »

C S Lewis