Author Topic: The Pentagon’s Replicator effort to counter China is the right call  (Read 217 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor

The Pentagon’s Replicator effort to counter China is the right call
By Alex Plitsas
 Thursday, Aug 31

This week, Deputy Defense Secretary Kathleen Hicks announced a new and important initiative, named Replicator, which is designed to “field attritable autonomous systems at scale of multiple thousands, in multiple domains, within the next 18-to-24 months.” The initiative is specifically designed to help counter China’s growing military power. Some of those versed in the Pentagon acquisition bureaucracy took to social media following the announcement to express their doubts about the initiative due to the size, scale and timeline. Their concerns are rooted in bureaucratic tradition and an aversion to change — and they couldn’t be more wrong.

This is not the first time in the past few decades that the Pentagon has embarked on an aggressive acquisition initiative to meet a strategic threat. Last month, I had the privilege to meet some of the engineers and workers who assembled and built my mine-resistant, ambush-protected vehicle, or MRAP, that I was issued during the Iraq War in 2008. These vehicles were designed and rapidly manufactured and deployed to the war zones to counter the No. 1 killer of U.S. troops in Iraq and Afghanistan: improvised explosive devices, commonly referred to as roadside bombs, which the Pentagon had declared a weapon of strategic influence.

https://www.defensenews.com/opinion/2023/08/31/the-pentagons-replicator-effort-to-counter-china-is-the-right-call/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: The Pentagon’s Replicator effort to counter China is the right call
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2023, 05:14:41 pm »
At one point, the Zumwalt class destroyer was the right call, too.  Like everything else, the proof will be in the pudding and the pudding was rotten for the Zumwalt destroyer.  Until it's proven, this is propaganda and wishful thinking.
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson