Author Topic: Top Marine orders ‘culture of safety’ review after deadly crashes  (Read 196 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Top Marine orders ‘culture of safety’ review after deadly crashes
By Irene Loewenson
 Thursday, Aug 31

The top Marine Corps leader on Tuesday ordered every Marine unit to review its approach to safety, after two aircraft crashes within days of each other killed four Marines total, and a Marine died during live-fire training earlier in the month.

Acting Commandant Gen. Eric Smith ordered units to gather at various levels — battalion, squadron, platoon and so on — to discuss their “culture of safety” no later than Sept. 15.

“Every aspect of training from safe weapons handling to proper ground guides to the ruthless adherence to standards in our aircraft and vehicles, demonstrates that we are indeed professional warriors,” Smith, who also is the assistant commandant, wrote in an all-Marine message Tuesday.

Marines will have to participate in group discussions about safety, centered on a mishap scenario applicable to their unit, according to the message. The discussions should focus on the conditions leading up to the mishap and what could be done to prevent them.

https://www.marinecorpstimes.com/news/your-marine-corps/2023/08/31/top-marine-orders-culture-of-safety-review-after-deadly-crashes/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: Top Marine orders ‘culture of safety’ review after deadly crashes
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2023, 04:56:38 pm »
However, only positive statements toward the Corps will be accepted. :whistle:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson