Author Topic: Second GOP Debate Co-Moderator Ilia Calderón Accused Trump of ‘Racist’ Rhetoric: He ‘Empowers White  (Read 347 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Second GOP Debate Co-Moderator Ilia Calderón Accused Trump of ‘Racist’ Rhetoric: He ‘Empowers White Supremacists’

Nick Gilbertson 31 Aug 2023

Univision’s Ilia Calderón, who will co-moderate the second Republican presidential debate, is a staunch critic of former President Donald Trump, having accused him of empowering white supremacists and “racist” rhetoric in the past.

Fox News and Univision announced that Calderón, along with Fox News’s Dana Perino and Fox Business Network’s Stuart Varney, will moderate the September 27 debate at the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library in Simi Valley, California.

Calderón, who co-moderated the last Democrat presidential debate in 2020 between Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-VT) and President Joe Biden, has railed against Trump on the social media platform X, formerly Twitter, over the years.

After the first 2020 presidential debate on September 19, 2020, Calderon joined others in accusing Trump of not condemning white supremacists when moderator Chris Wallace asked if Trump would condemn them and militia groups and say that “they need to stand down.”

While Trump said “sure,” he caught criticism for stating, “Proud Boys, stand back and stand by,” as Breitbart News Senior Editor Joel Pollak pointed out in a fact check at the time. “Wallace is the one who introduced the “stand down” language — not Trump, who was doing what he was asked,” Pollak emphasized:

more
https://www.breitbart.com/2024-election/2023/08/31/ilia-calderon-accused-trump-empowering-white-supremacists/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
Well, if Trump was participating in the debates, he'd have good grounds to argue for this guy's exclusion.  But since he's not....

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Major Bill:
"But since he's not...."

...it proves how savvy Mr. Trump was for deciding against participating in such "debates" ...

Offline DB

Major Bill:
"But since he's not...."

...it proves how savvy Mr. Trump was for deciding against participating in such "debates" ...

We'll see.

Offline libertybele

Major Bill:
"But since he's not...."

Savvy? That's a matter of opinion.  IMHO he was afraid to debate against DeSantis; otherwise he wouldn't have attacked him before he announced and he would attend the debates.  Pretty obvious.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
Major Bill:
"But since he's not...."

The moderator wasn't named until after they already knew Trump wasn't participating so it wasn't an issue.

But suppose Trump had said he was going to participate, and they named this guy anyway.  That gives him a huge opening to slam "the establishment" for violating their own rules (read the RNC letter to the Commission on Presidential Debates) by naming a moderator with a record of bias against a participant.

But he can't do any of that because he already said he was out.

If he hadn't refused, he could have pointed to his guy as evidence of bias by and refused to debate unless this clearly anti-Trump modrator was removed

Offline DefiantMassRINO

Trump won't be able to resist the draw of the spotlight for too much longer.

He can't have that upstart punk, Meatball Ron, steal the spotlight.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.