Author Topic: US troops awarded Presidential Unit Citation for Kabul evacuation  (Read 374 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
US troops awarded Presidential Unit Citation for Kabul evacuation
« on: September 01, 2023, 05:49:58 pm »
US troops awarded Presidential Unit Citation for Kabul evacuation

The Kabul evacuation rescued more than 124,000 people. Some troops say that more individual awards should be approved from the mission.

BY JEFF SCHOGOL | PUBLISHED AUG 31, 2023 2:17 PM EDT

The Army and Marine Corps units that rushed to Afghanistan in August 2021 to oversee the evacuation of more than 124,000 civilians from Kabul in roughly two weeks will receive the Presidential Unit Citation, Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin announced on Thursday.

Troops will be able to wear the award if they were assigned to those units for those missions. But some troops told Task & Purpose that the unit awards should be paired with further individual awards for so-far unacknowledged acts of heroism by individual service members.

Awarded for extraordinary heroism on vital missions, the Presidential Unit Citation is the highest honor that a military unit can receive. The award has gone to units that parachuted or stormed ashore on D-Day, the Navy SEAL team that killed Osama Bin Laden, and Coast Guard units behind that service’s full-throttle response to Hurricane Katrina.

“In recognition of teams that operated and excelled under these difficult and dangerous conditions, I am proud to announce the approval of the Presidential Unit Citation for the 24th Marine Expeditionary Unit, the Special Purpose Marine Air Ground Task Force-Crisis Response-Central Command, and Joint Task Force 82 of the 82nd Airborne Division and its supporting units,” Austin said in a statement recognizing the second anniversary of the end of the Afghanistan War.

https://taskandpurpose.com/news/us-troops-kabul-evacuation-presidential-unit-citation/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: US troops awarded Presidential Unit Citation for Kabul evacuation
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2023, 05:54:43 pm »
Never have so few been given so many medals over a total debacle!  The Pentagon and POTUS keep trying to minimize the disaster they created by throwing out so many medals whenever they get a chance.  It is disgusting the way they have used deaths and injuries of the troops there to try to take the focus off the terrible decisions of the leadership. 9999hair out0000
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2023, 06:07:25 pm »
13 families would rather have their loved ones back.

What happened in Kabul was everone had to run for their lives because the American Government was not prepared.

The weakness and ineptitude of the American Government inspired Putin to invade Ukraine.

"It doesn't matter what temperature the room is, it's always room temperature." - Steven Wright

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2023, 06:13:12 pm »
There is one worthy of giving it the John Kerry  treatment
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.