Author Topic: Army Delivers Massive Fleet of 3,000 New, Multi-Variant AMPV Infantry Carriers  (Read 145 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Army Delivers Massive Fleet of 3,000 New, Multi-Variant AMPV Infantry Carriers

The first AMPVs have been delivered to the Army out of a planned initial fleet size of 3,000, a number which is still less than one-third of the Army's massive M113 fleet of 13,000 vehicles

KRIS OSBORN, WARRIOR MAVEN - CENTER FOR MILITARY MODERNIZATIONAUG 29, 2023
By Kris Osborn, President, Center for Military Modernization

The Army is delivering a massive force of thousands of new Armored Multi-Purpose Vehicles (AMPV), infantry vehicles of different variants intended to follow on and ultimately replace the service's Vietnam-era M113 and streamline modernization across its armored vehicle formations.

The first AMPVs have been delivered to the Army out of a planned initial fleet size of 3,000, a number which is still less than one-third of the Army's massive M113 fleet of 13,000 vehicles.  M113s make up as much as one-third of the entire fleet.

The Army's Armored Multi-Purpose Vehicle, designed to transport troops under armor, conduct reconnaissance missions, evacuate injured soldiers, fire weapons and withstand major enemy ground-war attacks

The initial 3,000, however, may just a beginning for the Army as the service anticipates it will ultimately fully replace the M113 in coming years.  The service does say it will deliver the 3,000 AMPVs over the next 20 years, however it would not seem surprising if the Army added more given the versatility of the vehicle and the number of different variants.  The Army is already underway with a General Purpose variant, along with a Mortar Carrier, Mission Command, Medical Evacuation and Medical Treatment variants.

https://warriormaven.com/land/army-delivers-massive-fleet-of-3000-new-multi-variant-ampv-infantry-carriers
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson