Author Topic: EXCLUSIVE: Navy weighs creation of ‘Disruptive Capabilities’ office to rapidly field tech to fleet  (Read 173 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
EXCLUSIVE: Navy weighs creation of ‘Disruptive Capabilities’ office to rapidly field tech to fleet

The Navy's top leaders still need to sign out the creation and final details of the new office, but a draft document indicates the focus will be on moving advanced but existing technologies into the field for operational use.
By   JUSTIN KATZ
on August 30, 2023 at 12:07 PM

Updated 8/30/23 at 2:54 pm ET with comments from Navy Under Secretary Erik Raven.

WASHINGTON — The US Navy is considering the establishment of a “Disruptive Capabilities Office” focused on rapidly fielding existing technologies to address operational problems, according to sources as well as a draft document obtained by Breaking Defense.

The final details of this new office are still in flux and plans could change pending approvals from Navy Secretary Carlos Del Toro and acting Chief of Naval Operations Adm. Lisa Franchetti. But a draft charter, dated for late June 2023 and circulated this summer at an industry event, stated the DCO would be a “unique office” capable of “rapidly [solving] emerging operational problems with a broad aperture unconstrained by legacy processes.”

Further, if the Navy’s top officials sign the new office into life, it could trigger the end of the Unmanned Task Force, established by former CNO Adm. Michael Gilday in September 2021. “The DCO will leverage the UTF’s lessons learned, best practices and processes, and incorporate key UTF personnel,” according to the document. “Upon standup of the DCO, the UTF will be disestablished.”

https://breakingdefense.com/2023/08/exclusive-navy-weighs-creation-of-disruptive-capabilities-office-to-rapidly-field-tech-to-fleet/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Just what the Navy needs, more flag officers sitting on their asses thinking. 8bs8
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson