Author Topic: Hurricane Response Reveals Ron DeSantis' Competence and Leadership and Trump’s Pettiness  (Read 13104 times)

Online DB

Out of 50 states, Washington DC, and Puerto Rico, Florida came in #31 out of 52 when covid death rates were age adjusted (with 1 being the worst). They did far better than many states that had draconian lock downs.  https://www.bioinformaticscro.com/blog/states-ranked-by-age-adjusted-covid-deaths/

Thank you.

Offline Hoodat

In knowing that DeSantis failed in his obligation to help Florida residents.

Sounds just like something Chuck Schumer would say.

So let's review.  Trump got DeSantis elected.  DeSantis got Florida residents killed.  Therefore, Trump killed those Florida residents.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2023, 03:29:46 am by Hoodat »
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
There was no "promotion" involved. The NIH director was going to do that anyway.

And just so you know, I am personally convinced that this entire Covid mess was carefully planned and executed to perfection.

Yep.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Sounds just like something Chuck Schumer would say.

So let's review.  Trump got DeSantis elected.  DeSantis got Florida residents killed.  Therefore, Trump killed those Florida residents.
The Transitive property of finger-pointing!
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
@Bigun and @catfish1957

Even when you two go at it with heat, I still think the world of both of ya. Yall both sorta skirt both sides of where I stand/stood, mainly cause I give the benefit of the doubt to Trump because I didn't have a clue where to stand in the debacle of covid for the longest time. I was way out of my league on the issue (so if I was in Trump's shoes, would I have done better, maybe, maybe not). I think DeSantis was also like me in the beginning, but recovered far faster.

In hindsight, I see the error of Trump clearly now. But I must be honest, I am ashamed how slow I was to pick a side to stand (not as slow as Trump, not as fast as DeSantis). I came this close to getting the "vaccine", and the only thing that stopped me probable was this site (TBR) posting articles about potential blood-clots.

Thanks guys for the lively debate. The questions I still debate, if covid had been worse (say 5X more deadly) would I err on the side of "freedom" or "lockdowns"... I still don't know. I guess I would like to say I would lean on towards people knowing what is best for themselves over government, but then again we are talking a public that votes 50% for democrats. Would I look at people like Fauci with vested interests $$ in this, someone that couldn't bring himself to say China probable leaked this virus (that the US under his leadership invested in creating). This issue still has me lacking good insight without yall's opinions helping paddle towards figuring it out.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2023, 06:59:04 am by Sighlass »
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Online Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
Trump hired neither Fauci nor Birx. Both were in place LONG before Trump came along. If Trump had tried to rid himself of either during the "pandemic" he would undoubtedly have been impeached and removed from office over it. Truth matters @catfish1957

Wrong.

The White House Coronavirus Task Force didn't even exist until Trump created it on January 29, 2020, and he personally chaired the first meeting.  While everyone Trump assigned to the task force already had some other job with the federal government, it was Trump who assigned them to that Task Force.  Here's Trump's own press secretary making the announcement of the creation and staffing of the Task Force:

https://trumpwhitehouse.archives.gov/briefings-statements/statement-press-secretary-regarding-presidents-coronavirus-task-force/

As you can see, Birx wasn't even on it then.  She wasn't added until Trump named her Response Coordinator a month later.  Again, Trump's call.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2020/02/27/coronavirus-what-we-know-mike-pence-and-task-force/4891905002/

So just as Trump chose to assign them to that task force, he could just have easily have unassigned them, and they would have just continued doing their normal federal job.
No "firing" involved.

The funny thing is that neither Birx (who was actually in a diplomatic position when Trump selected her as Response Coordinator) for the Task Force nor Fauci was the senior U.S. government medical professionals assigned to that Task Force. 

The highest ranking U.S. government medical person on the task force was Dr. Robert Redfield, who was the actual Director of the CDV itself - Fauci's boss.  He also happened to be someone who believed the virus came from a Chinese lab, not from nature.  But he wasn't the guy Trump chose to put in charge....

The bottom line is that Trump was entitled to selected whomever he wanted - anyone - to be his point person on Covid. The people assigned to the task force were all already government employees and it was just an additional job duty on a White House task force so there was no nomination or Senate confirmation required.

It was Trump's call.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Wrong.

The White House Coronavirus Task Force didn't even exist until Trump created it on January 29, 2020, and he personally chaired the first meeting.  While everyone Trump assigned to the task force already had some other job with the federal government, it was Trump who assigned them to that Task Force.  Here's Trump's own press secretary making the announcement of the creation and staffing of the Task Force:

https://trumpwhitehouse.archives.gov/briefings-statements/statement-press-secretary-regarding-presidents-coronavirus-task-force/

As you can see, Birx wasn't even on it then.  She wasn't added until Trump named her Response Coordinator a month later.  Again, Trump's call.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2020/02/27/coronavirus-what-we-know-mike-pence-and-task-force/4891905002/

So just as Trump chose to assign them to that task force, he could just have easily have unassigned them, and they would have just continued doing their normal federal job.
No "firing" involved.

The funny thing is that neither Birx (who was actually in a diplomatic position when Trump selected her as Response Coordinator) for the Task Force nor Fauci was the senior U.S. government medical professionals assigned to that Task Force. 

The highest ranking U.S. government medical person on the task force was Dr. Robert Redfield, who was the actual Director of the CDV itself - Fauci's boss.  He also happened to be someone who believed the virus came from a Chinese lab, not from nature.  But he wasn't the guy Trump chose to put in charge....

The bottom line is that Trump was entitled to selected whomever he wanted - anyone - to be his point person on Covid. The people assigned to the task force were all already government employees and it was just an additional job duty on a White House task force so there was no nomination or Senate confirmation required.

It was Trump's call.

IMHO that is TOTAL BS! Having the ability to do something and being free to do whatever you like are two entirely separate things and had Trump named anyone but who he did to head that taskforce all parties would have severely criticized him at least and removed him from office at worst. I cannot stand either of those people (Fauci or Birx) but the FACT is that they were long time federal employees LONG before Trump got there. He had no choice but to appoint them despite his obvious (to me) personal animosity toward both. Presidents are NOT dictators!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Maj. Bill Martin

I'll chalk that up to failed logic on steroids, and that you don't have an answer.

Sometimes, it's like they're trying to give people another reason not to vote for Trump.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
@Bigun and @catfish1957

Even when you two go at it with heat, I still think the world of both of ya. Yall both sorta skirt both sides of where I stand/stood, mainly cause I give the benefit of the doubt to Trump because I didn't have a clue where to stand in the debacle of covid for the longest time. I was way out of my league on the issue (so if I was in Trump's shoes, would I have done better, maybe, maybe not). I think DeSantis was also like me in the beginning, but recovered far faster.

In hindsight, I see the error of Trump clearly now. But I must be honest, I am ashamed how slow I was to pick a side to stand (not as slow as Trump, not as fast as DeSantis). I came this close to getting the "vaccine", and the only thing that stopped me probable was this site (TBR) posting articles about potential blood-clots.

Thanks guys for the lively debate. The questions I still debate, if covid had been worse (say 5X more deadly) would I err on the side of "freedom" or "lockdowns"... I still don't know. I guess I would like to say I would lean on towards people knowing what is best for themselves over government, but then again we are talking a public that votes 50% for democrats. Would I look at people like Fauci with vested interests $$ in this, someone that couldn't bring himself to say China probable leaked this virus (that the US under his leadership invested in creating). This issue still has me lacking good insight without yall's opinions helping paddle towards figuring it out.

Thanks for the kind words @Sighlass @catfish1957 and I have long been friends on this forum and I know that this little dust up isn't going to affect that one bit as far as I'm concerned.

In 2016 I was probably the most anti Trump person posting here based on the evidence I had before me at the time, and I refused to vote for him that year. What happened in the rules committee at the national convention that year caused me to turn in all my long standing RPT credentials at the national level (I'm still somewhat active in the party here in Texas). By 2020 I would have walked barefoot over a mile of broken glass to vote for Trump based on his performance in office and the fact that the swamp was so dead set against him (what they don't want is exactly what we need IMHO). And then they stole the election from him!

I said all that to say this. I have always called them as I see them and I'm never going to change. Take it or leave it.   
« Last Edit: September 01, 2023, 02:46:57 pm by Bigun »

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Maj. Bill Martin

IMHO that is TOTAL BS! Having the ability to do something and being free to do whatever you like are two entirely separate things and had Trump named anyone but who he did to head that taskforce all parties would have severely criticized him at least and removed him from office at worst.

Where is there a shred of evidence of that?  Trump didn't even try, so how could you possibly know?  Hell, he skipped right over Redfield, the Head of the CDC itself, and nobody said "boo".

And do you know what Birx' job was when she was named coordinator by Trump?  "Ambassador at Large and U.S. Global AIDS Coordinator.". You're seriously claiming that Trump would have been removed from office if he hadn't named her Coronavirus Coordinator??

As for Fauci, he wasn't even the senior most person, and any number of other people could have been out up there.  Hell, Trump skipped right over Redfield, and nobody said crap about that.

He had no choice but to appoint them despite his obvious (to me) personal animosity toward both. Presidents are NOT dictators![/size]

No, he didn't have to appoint them.  And this was a White House Task Force.  Nobody else gets to say boo about that.  It's like the various "czars" that Presidents name.  People they want to put in charge of something but who can't get passed the Senate are appointed as White House czars because there is no confirmation required.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2023, 02:02:06 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline bilo

Then you have allowed the democrats to select your choice for you, and furthermore, you've allowed them to select for you the weakest candidate.  Congratulations.

Just the opposite.

I refuse to accept banana republic tactics. The establishment Pubs have done nothing to fight the totalitarian state the Rats are constructing. Trump alone stood and took it on. Now the corrupt establishment is using the corrupt legal system to try and keep Trump off the ballot, or to tie him up in court rooms so he can't campaign and win.

It is the Republic that is up for grabs in the coming election. Trump represents the possibility the Republic can be saved. If the Rats win we can forget any possibility that a constitutional Republic will remain.

A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
Just the opposite.

I refuse to accept banana republic tactics. The establishment Pubs have done nothing to fight the totalitarian state the Rats are constructing. Trump alone stood and took it on. Now the corrupt establishment is using the corrupt legal system to try and keep Trump off the ballot, or to tie him up in court rooms so he can't campaign and win.

It is the Republic that is up for grabs in the coming election. Trump represents the possibility the Republic can be saved. If the Rats win we can forget any possibility that a constitutional Republic will remain.

:yowsa:  pointing-up

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline bilo

And had he done ANYTHING else he would have been impeached and removed from office. There was NO WAY he could have gotten away with appointing any other than those he did. And he did not "HIRE" any of them!

Initially, I was really impressed in how Trump took charge and got things done. It's hindsight where I see the errors in listening to the govt "experts". I agree with you that there was no way he could have gotten rid of Fauci, or scarf lady.

Offline bilo

I have not yet declared for anyone this year but will tell you that I'm moving more in your direction every day @bilo . It isn't just Trump that the lawfare bastards aew trying to railroad!

It's the bottom line for me.

I see a lot of things I like in DeSantis, but saving the Republic comes first!

Online roamer_1

No. Not in any way... The reality is that if you vote Tumpy in again, and he wins, he will once again be corralled off in the White House, blustering his ass off, and rolling out EOs... As the swamp gets bigger, and he doesn't do a damn thing about it.

Same time as last time, all over again. One man can't do anything. He needs a political machine behind  him to move bills, negotiate, plan and execute... He has none. Nothing. Again.

That is what will happen... If he gets that far, you can mark my words.

Offline bilo

How do you explain excess deaths in Florida?

The vaccines.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
No. Not in any way... The reality is that if you vote Tumpy in again, and he wins, he will once again be corralled off in the White House, blustering his ass off, and rolling out EOs... As the swamp gets bigger, and he doesn't do a damn thing about it.

Same time as last time, all over again. One man can't do anything. He needs a political machine behind  him to move bills, negotiate, plan and execute... He has none. Nothing. Again.

I strongly suspect that we are about to find out my friend! And @bilo is 100% right about not allowing the lawfare bastards to win.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Just the opposite.

HEAR!  HEAR!!

And @Kamaji ...you're a smart guy.  No excuse for you to NOT recognize that already, if not long ago.

And the same goes for all the rest of you anti-Trump grumpy bass turds.    :patriot:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer

What makes you think the swamp is going to roll over just because someone other than Trump shows up?
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Kamaji

Just the opposite.

You can fool yourself all you want if it makes you feel better, but the fact is, you are letting them choose your candidate for you, and they are certainly not choosing the best the GOP has to offer.

Offline Kamaji

What makes you think the swamp is going to roll over just because someone other than Trump shows up?

They won't, but we do know for certain that Trump will not do anything about the swamp because he didn't do a damned thing when he had four years to do something.  We also know that someone like DeSantis is much, much better at building coalitions and at getting things done, and therefore is more likely to actually get something done against the swamp, much more so than Trump ever could.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
Thanks for the kind words @Sighlass @catfish1957 and I have long been friends on this forum and I know that this little dust up isn't going to affect that one bit as far as I'm concerned.

In 2016 I was probably the most anti Trump person posting here based on the evidence I had before me at the time, and I refused to vote for him that year. What happened in the rules committee at the national convention that year caused me to turn in all my long standing RPT credentials at the national level (I'm still somewhat active in the party here in Texas). By 2020 I would have walked barefoot over a mile of broken glass to vote for Trump based on his performance in office and the fact that the swamp was so dead set against him (what they don't want is exactly what we need IMHO). And then they stole the election from him!

I said all that to say this. I have always called them as I see them and I'm never going to change. Take it or leave it.   

@Bigun @Sighlass

Hey, through the years big and I have been 99% in agreement on most issues.  Pretty rare we stray on a particular manner.

Big also did a really good job of explaining his rationale of supporting DJT.  Here is my reason for the opposite.

Back in '16, I was horrified and angered by the tactics that DJT and his Stone Pecker Slime machine used against Cruz. It was reprehensibable, and I am suprised, I even gave him a second look.  Still,  I put that all aside after his election, and supported him whole heartedly in '20.  I also supported his contention that it was stolen.

However,  when DJT returned to those '16 tactics, after gathering donations supposedly earmarked for legal battle, and applied them to attacking RDS, it just got too much for me to bare.  Secondly, he really went off the narcissitic rails as the heat ensued.  That mouth of his is not an asset, but an extreme liability for winning a general election.  3rd?  His FDR endorsement to building Freedom Cities and Baby Bonuses was the last straw.  That alone is enough for me to do everything in my power to siphon off votes toward another Republican candidate.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
@Bigun @Sighlass

Hey, through the years big and I have been 99% in agreement on most issues.  Pretty rare we stray on a particular manner.

Big also did a really good job of explaining his rationale of supporting DJT.  Here is my reason for the opposite.

Back in '16, I was horrified and angered by the tactics that DJT and his Stone Pecker Slime machine used against Cruz. It was reprehensibable, and I am suprised, I even gave him a second look.  Still,  I put that all aside after his election, and supported him whole heartedly in '20.  I also supported his contention that it was stolen.

However,  when DJT returned to those '16 tactics, after gathering donations supposedly earmarked for legal battle, and applied them to attacking RDS, it just got too much for me to bare.  Secondly, he really went off the narcissitic rails as the heat ensued.  That mouth of his is not an asset, but an extreme liability for winning a general election.  3rd?  His FDR endorsement to building Freedom Cities and Baby Bonuses was the last straw.  That alone is enough for me to do everything in my power to siphon off votes toward another Republican candidate.

@catfish1957

888high58888  :beer:

A few quick points of follow up:

1. We aren't as far apart as you think on this. (I have not committed to vote for DJT next year. Many of the things you mention about him irritate the living HELL out of me as well.)

2. I'm just trying to keep the record straight.

3. As much as Trump irritates me, I HATE the swamp one hundred times more and refuse to let the lawfare bastards win at the games they are playing. I value the rule of law more than anything else when it comes to government.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2023, 08:45:31 pm by Bigun »

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online libertybele

Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online libertybele

Ron DeSantis
@GovRonDeSantis
Waffle House was open right after the storm providing hot meals after Hurricane Idalia.

Thank you for serving Floridians during their time of need.

« Last Edit: September 01, 2023, 08:58:36 pm by libertybele »
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.