Author Topic: Ten-Hut Time Machine? West Point To Open Time Capsule Possibly Left by Cadets in the 1820s  (Read 429 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Ten-Hut Time Machine? West Point To Open Time Capsule Possibly Left by Cadets in the 1820s
.By Michael Hill

This photo provided by the U.S. Military Academy at West Point, shows a time capsule uncovered, Friday, June 9, 2023. The long-forgotten time capsule, a small lead box measuring about a cubic foot, was discovered in May 2023, during restoration to a monument honoring Revolutionary War hero Thaddeus Kosciuszko, on the grounds of West Point, in New York. The box will be opened during a livestreamed event, Monday, Aug. 28. (Christopher Hennen/U.S. Army via AP)

A long-forgotten time capsule at West Point recently discovered inside the base of a monument and believed to have been left by cadets in the late 1820s is expected to be pried open Monday.

The contents of the small lead box could possibly provide a window into the early, more Spartan days of the storied U.S. Military Academy.

It’s not certain exactly when the box was placed in the monument’s marble base or who chose any items inside, though a committee of five cadets that may have been involved with the time capsule included 1829 graduate Robert E. Lee, the future Confederate general.

The box will be opened during a livestreamed event.

https://www.realcleardefense.com/articles/2023/08/28/ten-hut_time_machine_west_point_to_open_time_capsule_possibly_left_by_cadets_in_the_1820s_975738.html
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Thank God those cadets can't see what a shit show things have become since they buried the time capsule.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Thank God those cadets can't see what a shit show things have become since they buried the time capsule.

I hope nothing in the capsule offends them and all. 
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Polly Ticks

Looks like they should have had Geraldo open it.

A muddy reveal for mysterious West Point time capsule from 1820s

Staff and students at West Point, the famed US military academy, gathered on Monday for what was supposed to be a historic moment: the opening of a mysterious 1820s time capsule, discovered months ago at the base of a campus monument.

The event was live-streamed, starting with pre-recorded remarks from academy historian Jennifer Voigtschild, inviting the audience to "literally uncover a piece of West Point history". Cadets were filmed offering their own predictions for what was inside the nearly 200-year-old lead box: an American flag, boots, or maybe a class ring.

But instead, there was mud.

[...]

"We're not sure if it's soil or mud or dust," he said, adding later: "The box didn't quite meet expectations."

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-66641401
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline Polly Ticks

I hope nothing in the capsule offends them and all.

:rolling:
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra