Author Topic: New York AG Threatens Legal Action Against Schools Blocking Illegal Migrants From Enrolling  (Read 207 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
New York AG Threatens Legal Action Against Schools Blocking Illegal Migrants From Enrolling

JENNIE TAER
INVESTIGATIVE REPORTER
August 28, 2023
12:05 PM ET

New York Attorney General Letitia James and the state’s education commissioner are urging local schools not to block migrants from enrolling in public schools, according to a Monday statement.

James and New York State Education Commissioner Betty Rosa are asking New Yorkers to file complaints with the state’s civil rights office if they’ve been denied enrollment at a public school in the state, according to the statement. In the last year, thousands of migrant children have been enrolled in New York schools, where resources are being stretched thin. (RELATED: Former GOP Mayoral Candidate Arrested After Violent Clashes Ensue During Protest)

New York law dictates that students ages five to 21 are entitled to a free public school education, according to the statement. At both the federal and state levels, public schools are required to accept and enroll migrant students even if they can’t provide proof of residency, school records and other required documents.

https://dailycaller.com/2023/08/28/new-york-ag-threatens-legal-action-against-schools-blocking-illegal-migrants-from-enrolling/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Kamaji