Author Topic: ‘IMPEACH the BUM or Fade into OBLIVION!’ Trump unloads on Republicans for not impeaching Biden  (Read 2079 times)

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
Now, the question is one of not being able to use the institutions to fight them, (DOJ FBI, Courts, press, all corrupt, impeachment won't work, elections compromised) then what means to fight this?

The press shouldn't be viewed as an "institution", especially in this country.  And it takes the same authority to "destroy" them as it does to "fix" them, so if you don't have the power to fix, you don't have the power to destroy anyway.

We have a majority of the Supreme Court, and the other things you mentioned require the Presidency to fix.  With the right person, they can indeed be cleaned up.

But the person we elect has to have a freaking clue about how such agencies work, and has to have the judgment to hire the right subordinates.  He's also got to have good enough relationships with Congress to get through any necessary legislation.

The last Republican we elected had none of that, so they weren't cleaned up.   And it looks right now like he's the most likely nominee again, so the prospects of fixing them even if he win the election are very slim.

Offline Kamaji

The press shouldn't be viewed as an "institution", especially in this country.  And it takes the same authority to "destroy" them as it does to "fix" them, so if you don't have the power to fix, you don't have the power to destroy anyway.

We have a majority of the Supreme Court, and the other things you mentioned require the Presidency to fix.  With the right person, they can indeed be cleaned up.

But the person we elect has to have a freaking clue about how such agencies work, and has to have the judgment to hire the right subordinates.  He's also got to have good enough relationships with Congress to get through any necessary legislation.

The last Republican we elected had none of that, so they weren't cleaned up.   And it looks right now like he's the most likely nominee again, so the prospects of fixing them even if he win the election are very slim.

:thumbsup:

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
@sneakypete

I think you don't understand, Sneaks.

@roamer_1

And I think you don't understand.

You SEEM to think we can restore Constitutional order and freedoms by "going along to get along without alarming anyone".

I THINK EVERYBODY that values freedom should be alarmed,because if we keep ignoring the moves of the left and their RINO butt-buddies,America will cease to exist as a free and independent nation.

AND,it will happen within the next 4 or 5 years.

I also think the upcoming election cycle will be our last chance to save and restore America and Constitutional laws because the left is not only determined to make America a part of "World-Wide Government,Inc",they are damn  near "there",and if you count the illegal alien voters they are allowing into the country,they make already BE "THERE".

You know this to be a VERY serious probability,teetering on being an established fact.

We either "man up" and take our country  back in 2024,or we may not have a country left to live in.

This MIGHT very well be the LAST chance we have to restore American values and the US Constitution in our lifetimes. It is literally,"Now or never".

Not really THAT big a deal for me because I am old and have all sorts of health issues,plus I don't have a family.

That does NOT mean I am ready to roll over and beg for belly rubs,though. I am NOT surrendering my right to own firearms,or ANY OTHER Constitutional RIGHT that I and all other Americans are born to. If they left wants to take them,bring it on,bitches!

We either stand firm on keeping America as a free nation of free people THIS election cycle,or we might not have another election cycle.

As none other than Joseph Stalin noted when one of his advisors panicked when he heard that Stalin was going to let everybody vote,"It is not important who votes or who they vote for. What is important is WHO COUNTS THE VOTES!

« Last Edit: August 29, 2023, 04:09:02 am by sneakypete »
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
This 100%.

Their goal is to destroy the institutions of democracy/republicanism.  If they can corrupt them, and then get us to destroy them from our end, they've won.   Because then, they'll replace them with their own kind of institutions that are rotted/biased by design.

So even though the temptation is to destroy the institutions they've corrupted, the correct - and harder - response is to fight the corruption and save the institution.

@Maj. Bill Martin

Tell me,kind Sir,HTF are we going to restore the freedoms the left and their RINO butt-buddies have ALREADY taken without getting in their face and waving hangman's nooses?

Anybody that reads the daily news,as biased as it is,and not realize the left has been fighting a war against us for decades now,and due to our lack of a response,may just take over America come the next election.

PLEASE note that I am NOT merely saying they are going to steal an election,because that is already established as a very likely FACT,I am saying they are in the process RIGHT NOW,of STEALING America and making us a member of the International Borg with all the rights they are willing to allow us to have.

We,the people,passed right by that "there seems to be a difference of opinion" signs,when Obomber was "elected".

Now we have a senile old child molester and professional thief in the WH,and the SOB has MASSIVE support come the next election because he and his handlers have been using taxpayer money to buy votes.

My friends,it really IS "Now or  never" if we are to have ANY hope at all of living as a free people. ONE more Dim administration,and America is OVER.

Hell,one more RINO administration and America is over.

If we can't get serious about protecting our birth rights now,we will never be in a situation to to protect them again without gunfire erupting from both sides.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits

@Maj. Bill Martin

In other words,he has to be an "insider" who is also a member of the "Borg" that is dedicated to destroying America for personal profits and power.

You MUST think that or you wouldn't be promoting the election of a political insider.

It is too far gone to be "fixed" by mere elections at this point.

While I am NOT happy about this situation myself,I see no way America can survive as a free and independent nation by playing "kissy face" with the traitors who are dedicated to destroying America for personal power and profits.

Not that any of THEM or their families will be doing any fighting.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2023, 04:06:08 am by sneakypete »

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

@Maj. Bill Martin

Tell me,kind Sir,HTF are we going to restore the freedoms the left and their RINO butt-buddies have ALREADY taken without getting in their face and waving hangman's nooses?

@sneakypete

By winning elections, and then not wasting that opportunity because the guy we elected "doesn't have experience" and was "tricked by his advisors".

Oh, and you're not going to win many of those elections by waving a hangman's noose in the faces of the people whose support you may need.

My friends,it really IS "Now or  never" if we are to have ANY hope at all of living as a free people. ONE more Dim administration,and America is OVER. Hell, one more RINO administration and America is over.

You seem to define RINO as anyone who doesn't support Trump.  However, I will agree with you on this - it is entirely possible to elect someone who is running as a "Republican", and end up completely screwed if he wins.  So we at least agree on that.

Let me ask you this - are we in worse shape now than we were in 2016?

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

@Maj. Bill Martin

In other words,he has to be an "insider" who is also a member of the "Borg" that is dedicated to destroying America for personal profits and power.  You MUST think that or you wouldn't be promoting the election of a political insider.

Cruz is an insider - Second Term Senator who has spent more time in Washington than most of the candidates running against Trump.  Hell, Trump has spent more time in Washington than some of the candidates running against him.[/quote]

Being "gung ho" and willing to charge straight into a machine gun emplacement may sound noble, but it usually accomplishes nothing other than getting you killed.  Trump is the equivalent of the fired-up boot Lt. who thinks being smart is for wimps, and all you need is courage. 

I've seen guys like that, and I wouldn't follow them into a strip club.  Give me a guy with some real brains who knows what the hell he is doing.  Experience is a plus.

I just don't see that as Trump. 

Offline roamer_1

And I think you don't understand.

You SEEM to think we can restore Constitutional order and freedoms by "going along to get along without alarming anyone".

@sneakypete

I think no such thing.

While you are right in whats going on, you're dead wrong on fixing it. A blustering blowhard ain't gonna fix sh*t.

And relying on the idea that he can is costing us - 4 years already with little (I am being kind) to show for it... By your own reckoning, we can't afford another 4.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

@sneakypete

I think no such thing.

While you are right in whats going on, you're dead wrong on fixing it. A blustering blowhard ain't gonna fix sh*t.

And relying on the idea that he can is costing us - 4 years already with little (I am being kind) to show for it... By your own reckoning, we can't afford another 4.

That's my issue.  After 4 years of Trump and 2 of a Democratic successor, we're in much worse shape than when Trump took office.  And what's funny but sad is that even according to his supporters, it was the very swamp that he failed to corral that turned this country over to a Democrat.

Fool me once Donald, shame on you.  Fool me twice....

Offline roamer_1

That's my issue.  After 4 years of Trump and 2 of a Democratic successor, we're in much worse shape than when Trump took office.  And what's funny but sad is that even according to his supporters, it was the very swamp that he failed to corral that turned this country over to a Democrat.

Fool me once Donald, shame on you.  Fool me twice....

That's how I see it too... It ain't gonna be any different this time around. Or maybe the Tumpsters can try to show me otherwise.

I think not.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
@sneakypete

By winning elections, and then not wasting that opportunity because the guy we elected "doesn't have experience" and was "tricked by his advisors".

@Maj. Bill Martin

HOW are you  going to "win elections" when the left already  has set into motion the ability to steal them via voter fraud,including the votes of the illegal aliens they are allowing into the country?

Do you REALLY think that Biden was elected "fair and square"? I really do want an answer to this question.

Oh, and you're not going to win many of those elections by waving a hangman's noose in the faces of the people whose support you may need.

BY DEFINITION,if they are the people whose votes you need to win,why would you want to threaten them with hanging?

AFATG,I can't honestly blame the illegal aliens for coming to America and selling their souls for "free" housing,food,clothing,schooling,electricity,etc,etc,etc. Anybody who has ever been to a Third World Country can understand why they are doing what they are doing.

The irony is by doing it,they are helping to turn America into a 3rd World County.

And this ain't even addressing the insanity of allowing people like "Farmer" Bill Gates control our food supplies.

You seem to define RINO as anyone who doesn't support Trump. 

Not really,but I DO understand why you and others who still think democracy will win think that. As I have stated before,just because I am determined to vote for Trump based on his massive ego pushing him to go down in the history books as "the man that saved America" doesn't mean I like him,or that I would even allow him to come inside my house.

Trump is important BECAUSE of his ego. He can't be bought and he can't be scared away because there is NOTHING more important to him than how he is written about in the history books,and there is nothing he lusts after more than the title of "The President that saved America".

However, I will agree with you on this - it is entirely possible to elect someone who is running as a "Republican", and end up completely screwed if he wins.  So we at least agree on that.

That has been glaringly obvious ever since the Bush Crime Family took control of the WH.

Let me ask you this - are we in worse shape now than we were in 2016?

Depends on how you define it. YES,we ARE,if you look at all the gains the left has made and the failures of the right,and understand that change doesn't necessarily take place today. It can take years for the real effects of some legislative BS to take full effect and show their ugly faces.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
We all (on this site) have at least a loose handle on what 'should be', but if we are going to realistically take stock of our situation, what should be is only an indicator of how far things have gone off track.

There is a hell of a lot out there that "shouldn't" be, but so obviously is.
Failure to recognize that guarantees its persistence.

We can't fix the media, only boycott and work around it for now.

If the press were not being managed on major platforms by "former" intelligence and investigative agency personnel, for the purpose of controlling what news gets out on the major platforms I might agree. However, the "MSM" and "Social Media" have been compromised to the extent that links to peer reviewed papers in the National Institute of Health Library were effectively scrubbed from Facebook, or labelled as "misinformation".

Just the links to the papers, no commentary attached.

Web searches fail to bring up links that were easily found just five years ago.

It is no accident that all the major broadcast news networks and their affiliates use the same buzzwords to describe the same situations, delivering the same bias on virtually any issue, all in lockstep with the Administration approved viewpoints. None are asking questions, none are deviating from the narrative. That is not only not coincidence, it is no accident.

In the instances of COVID and Climate, especially, but also in virtually every other subject as well, The censorship continues, forcing experts in their respective fields who dissent with the "settled science" to post their findings and even journal published (peer reviewed) research on less than mainstream sites for public consumption. This leaves some highly accredited researchers open to accusations of charlatanry, because the only 'lay' platforms available to get peer-reviewed information counter to the approved narrative to the public are not the mainstream purveyors of approved information. While those platforms may be open to publishing summaries of that research, they are often decried as "fringe", "crackpot", or otherwise discredited, sometimes from past content, sometimes just by virtue of being willing to publish information not found on more mainstream sites. Which is why I follow the links from those sites back to the primary research, as published in the journals. Many, however, even here, dismiss the accounts without doing so, just by virtue of the site willing to publish those summaries. In doing so, they summarily dismiss the research without ever having examined it, and ignore the dynamic that is adding some respectability to sites that formerly were home to more questionable sources and ideas.

The other outlets are professional scientific journals--not the usual surfing fare of the masses, and often hidden behind a paywall for those not in academia or government.  However, any port in a storm.

Because of where the information is published outside of academic journals which are not always open to the layman, the information is summarily dismissed.  This is a way to bury solid, peer-reviewed science behind and underneath an avalanche of crap, and discredit it when it does dig its way out.
Even more insidious is control by grant, where funding is made available to produce a desired result, resulting in an atmosphere of 'if you can prove this, you might get another grant' as opposed to letting evidence lead to conclusions. 

Which is why people demanded COVID lockdowns, masks, and passports, and why there is an all too significant portion of the population who has been convinced that we are doomed to some sort of "Climate Catastrophe", even as the political entities which stand to gain one Hell of a lot of power, milk those "crises" for every crumb of power they can grab, and make regulations to guarantee that food production, energy production, and the very mobility a thriving economy requires are thwarted. This is the result of two generations of claiming humans are a significant driving force in the climate, to the point that the fundamental question of "ARE humans a significant driving force in climate?" has been abandoned to the assumption that we are. Once the desired axiom has become so pervasive it is no longer questioned in mainstream discourse, the discussion shifts away from the seminal question, and proceeds on a basis of truism, with the same results as assuming 3+3=7 instead of 6.

It's like emplacing decades of forestry policy/regulation that guarantees the accumulation of forest floor fuel loads, and then proclaiming in a dry year when very large fires occur that it is a result of Climate Change. Meh. More like Munchausen's by Proxy.

So yes, the media are an institution where the Federal Government has been controlling the 'narrative', and after Elon Musk purchased Twitter, some of the insidiousness and scope of that control was revealed. Recall, he fired 5,000 employees, and now has a better running platform. It takes a lot of people to beat down the truth, and now the push is for AI to be able to do the same thing (like the more primitive Facebook censor bots, only better).

What? Facebook had censor bots? in far less time than it would have taken the average speed reader to read one of my posts there, commenting on fuel prices, the post was stopped for not meeting community standards. I was allowed to edit the post to bring it up to their snuff. I had commented that fuel prices were much lower during the Trump Administration, and on a hunch, replaced the word "Trump" with the word "previous". The post sailed through.

Enough to make you say "Doubleplus ungood,Winston".

So, for all practical purposes, yes, Major media is still a government institution. Control of information is control of thought. Control of language is control of thought. Control of modern Major Media and censorship of Social Media is control of thought on a scale the totalitarians of history could only have stuck to their sheets in the morning over.  Social Media has become a significant component, because there is a multitude who gets their information from their phone, which they also use to access social media. The same phones they use to bank, purchase, communicate, and which can be used to track their position at any given time to within a couple of meters or less. The devices which, with access, reveal intimate details about the life, politics, habits, networks, health, possessions, etc. of the owner,

And that has already happened, and is getting more efficient by the day.

How to stop it? Don't buy in. Research everything, trust nothing but the original source, and examine that for motives which might hide behind the cloak of scientific credibility.  Educate yourself, analyze whether the conclusions are supported by the data, and remember science is NEVER settled. Everything is, and should be, open to question, and anyone who claims otherwise is suspect.

As an aside, why do you think the public school system (good in some places, a dismal failure in many others) is graduating (via all sorts of excuses, the latest "Equity") students who can't balance a checkbook, don't have a conceptual understanding of percentages, much less higher math, and could not read or understand the ramifications of the credit contracts they sign?

Because such sheep are good for the bottom line, and form a herd that can be sent bleating in the desired direction for a maximized ROI in a heartbeat.

Because control of the purse strings amounts to control over who researches, and what research gets done, and access: what results get buried or even 'discredited/debunked' (only the claim in the media is needed, with a few pejoratives, and the bobblehead masses who have no notion of how their world works will believe). The power of industry and government to fund research that provides conclusions that further their goals regardless of accuracy is only hindered by the integrity of and and willingness of individual researchers to turn down funding others will gladly accept, integrity be damned, for a life of profit and prestige. If those individuals can be silenced, marginalized, or discredited in the minds of the masses, political and economic control can be achieved.
 For this reason, the Media are an essential institutional part of any attempt at totalitarian government and what we have developing in the world today (not just here in the USA), is just that.

How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
We all (on this site) have at least a loose handle on what 'should be', but if we are going to realistically take stock of our situation, what should be is only an indicator of how far things have gone off track.

@Smokin Joe

EXCELLENT,well thought-out post!

Thank you.

Offline Smokin Joe

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

@Smokin Joe

Thank you for the detailed response.  I'm not quoting it just because it would make my own response longer than it already is.  I'll just quote the bit necessary to get a clarification before maybe finding out we mostly agree

So, for all practical purposes, yes, Major media is still a government institution.

Just to start, the specific statement I made was:

The press shouldn't be viewed as an "institution", especially in this country.

1) The first thing that was running through my mind when I said that were the almost unlimited number of media companies, organizations, and "press" out there, many of which not only disagree with but actively hate each other.  That's all the major print legacy media -- NYT, WP, Wall Street Journal, L.A. Times, etc.; the network broadcast and cable news (CBS, NBA, FoxNews, NewsMax, MSNBC, CNN, and a variety of upstart news organizations that seem to pop up all the time; "Alternative Media", which is everything from Breitbart and Drudge down to the never-ending geyser of bloggers and news aggregation groups of all political persuasions (Conservative Treehouse, Gateway Pundit, etc..) ; a multitude of publishers of all kinds, journals, etc....  That's not even mentioning local news, talk radio, etc..  Anyway, the list of disparate media members and sources is just massive, and they all certainly are not aligned into a single "institution" of any kind.  Even the "major media" is not in agreement on every issue.  The Wall Street Journal was a great source of dissenting opinions on Covid right from the start.

The best evidence of that is that all of us actually did acquire the information and evidence necessary to oppose a lot of what was going on.  All the stuff you mentioned in your post is knowledge you acquired through "the press".  Really, the problem isn't that we can't get access to information -- the problem is that there is so much information available out there in the press/media that it can be very difficult to locate and discern the "good stuff".

2)  The second thing that was running through my mind was the First Amendment, which is still unique to the U.S. and still very powerful.  What it basically means is that there are no barriers to entry, at all, into the "media' world.  Any chucklehead with a computer can start a blog, email list, etc..  Give the chucklehead some money and backers, and you have something any of the other newsletter-type groups running around.  We still have the complete freedom to do that.  So that again argues against the idea that the press as a whole is some kind of "institution".  No central control, no ability to limit membership, etc..

3) The corollary to the ability to create a new member of the press at will is that we also don't have any capability of eliminating members of the press we don't like, nor can we prevent individual media organizations from choosing to be government lapdogs.  The First Amendment gives them the right to parrot the government line if they so choose, and there is nothing that can (or should) be done to prevent that by law.  You can advocate for boycotts, etc.., but those are doomed to fail.  Media is sufficiently fragmented and niche-y at this point that a successful media organization only needs to appeal to a relatively small percentage of the citizenry to be successful.  So as long as there is a faction that supports that POV, they'll survive.  Maybe even thrive.

Okay, so I suppose I'd call all of those the "content creators", and for those groups who are all part of the press, I think thinking of them as an "institution" is just wrong.

In a complete different category are the very large social media companies that can act as an information gateway for a significant percentage of the population -- YouTube, Twitter, etc..  If those are the groups to whom you are referring, then I think that is a point definitely worth discussing.

« Last Edit: August 31, 2023, 05:01:39 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline DefiantMassRINO

If Biden is Impeached.  Trump will still have to deal with President Kamala Harris overseeing DOJ.

Trump doesn't have great luck with African American women in positions of power.

Biden Impeachment is a long shot to stop the ongoing state and Federal prosecutions of Tangerine Mussolini.

Good luck getting those wet-noodle Congressional Republicans to grow a spine.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline Smokin Joe

@Maj. Bill Martin
@Smokin Joe

Thank you for the detailed response.  I'm not quoting it just because it would make my own response longer than it already is.  I'll just quote the bit necessary to get a clarification before maybe finding out we mostly agree

Just to start, the specific statement I made was:

1) The first thing that was running through my mind when I said that were the almost unlimited number of media companies, organizations, and "press" out there, many of which not only disagree with but actively hate each other.  That's all the major print legacy media -- NYT, WP, Wall Street Journal, L.A. Times, etc.; the network broadcast and cable news (CBS, NBA, FoxNews, NewsMax, MSNBC, CNN, and a variety of upstart news organizations that seem to pop up all the time; "Alternative Media", which is everything from Breitbart and Drudge down to the never-ending geyser of bloggers and news aggregation groups of all political persuasions (Conservative Treehouse, Gateway Pundit, etc..) ; a multitude of publishers of all kinds, journals, etc....  That's not even mentioning local news, talk radio, etc..  Anyway, the list of disparate media members and sources is just massive, and they all certainly are not aligned into a single "institution" of any kind.  Even the "major media" is not in agreement on every issue.  The Wall Street Journal was a great source of dissenting opinions on Covid right from the start.

The best evidence of that is that all of us actually did acquire the information and evidence necessary to oppose a lot of what was going on.  All the stuff you mentioned in your post is knowledge you acquired through "the press".  Really, the problem isn't that we can't get access to information -- the problem is that there is so much information available out there in the press/media that it can be very difficult to locate and discern the "good stuff".

Nope. I didn't acquire my information through the press. After reading the article in Nature, a paywall journal under ordinary circumstances, I searched medical journals. Peer reviewed papers of generally limited scope in ordinary circumstances, targeting specific audiences in the medical field and specialties, mainly used to either convey findings of studies conducted or to keep afloat in a 'publish or perish' university environment.
I did not rely on the WSJ (don't have a subscription), NYT, WaPo, ABCNNBCBS or FOX (except to tell me what I should be looking for as they denied it).

Generally, it took a bit of finagling to find the same peer-reviewed study results that were not behind a paywall (Elsevier, for one, controls access to an awful lot of scientific information, and for just 39.95, you, too can read the article, or log in with your institutional account).

As for generally available media, however, the vast majority of that is controlled by relatively few corporations. Rather than reproduce the content of the Wiki article on that, I will just post this link.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Media_cross-ownership_in_the_United_States

Consider that most news stories which are not local originate with the wire services, AP and Reuters being the dominant two. Which is why virtually any newspaper or local TV station will have the same story, same sources, same spin, and yes, the same buzzwords. "an obvious threat to our democracy" being a favorite.
(2)  The second thing that was running through my mind was the First Amendment, which is still unique to the U.S. and still very powerful.  What it basically means is that there are no barriers to entry, at all, into the "media' world.  Any chucklehead with a computer can start a blog, email list, etc..  Give the chucklehead some money and backers, and you have something any of the other newsletter-type groups running around.  We still have the complete freedom to do that.  So that again argues against the idea that the press as a whole is some kind of "institution".  No central control, no ability to limit membership, etc..

...and with rare exception, that 'chucklehead' might get a few clicks a day. Their news or commentary, if not posted on a major platform, will be buried by search engine bias.
Sure, some go viral, get monetized on YouTube, but they have to get past the platform censors first. As I said, I attempted to post links to peer-reviewed scientific papers on Facebook and got flagged, twitter was a complete nevermind, and that was WITHOUT COMMENTARY. This was science, in the NIH library, and because it did not march in lockstep with the narrative, it was censored.  Yeah, I could have started a website, but how many views would that have had?
3) The corollary to the ability to create a new member of the press at will is that we also don't have any capability of eliminating members of the press we don't like, nor can we prevent individual media organizations from choosing to be government lapdogs.  The First Amendment gives them the right to parrot the government line if they so choose, and there is nothing that can (or should) be done to prevent that by law.  You can advocate for boycotts, etc.., but those are doomed to fail.  Media is sufficiently fragmented and niche-y at this point that a successful media organization only needs to appeal to a relatively small percentage of the citizenry to be successful.  So as long as there is a faction that supports that POV, they'll survive.  Maybe even thrive.
Again, most of what passes for news out there is controlled by seven major corporations. Those corporations are commonly controlled by one person or family who has the majority of stock in the corporation. That leaves us with a room full of people controlling the vast majority of the so-called information out there. You may (or may not be) free to post what you want on line, but the effects of this were readily apparent in the manifestation of mass panic during COVID, for example.

Yes there were alternatives, but people had to lose that deer-in-the-headlights attitude of doom so effectively imparted by the MSM to even be rational enough to look for other answers.
I'm a scientist, and picked up on a few lies right out of the gate ("hydroxychloroquine kills" being notable, because I know someone who had been taking it for seven years who was then, and is still alive), so I went looking in the scientific journals for information, but not many people will do that, or can even interpret the results, check the validity of the conclusions based on the data, and verify whether the study was set up to produce a desired result or whether it did a fair and complete assessment of the question at hand. I saw a lot of 'bad' science done during COVID, and the number of scientific journal articles withdrawn/retracted in a short period of time has been unprecedented. But you won't read about that in the NYT, nor hear about it on ABCNNBCBS.

Okay, so I suppose I'd call all of those the "content creators", and for those groups who are all part of the press, I think thinking of them as an "institution" is just wrong.
As I have indicated, those 'content creators' for the mainstream media are limited to a handful of people who feed the upstream end of the wire services. That content is widely distributed through the handful of media networks that control the major markets. It is like finding scattered placer gold and following it upstream to the mother lode. Aside from local news and human interest stories unique to that local market, the vast majority of what you read in the papers is from one or two news wire services, and Gannet owns a tremendous chunk of the smaller newspaper market https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_assets_owned_by_Gannett along with USA Today. The others are the NYT, Tribune Publishing, Hearst, Bloomberg, Newscorp, Advance Publications, and Nash.
So, all of this may fly a lot of banners above the headlines, but essentially has the same content and format.

Even online, Alphabet, Amazon, Apple, Meta, and Microsoft control a tremendous amount of content or access through search engine bias.

About the only relatively major independent out there is The Epoch Times.

In a complete different category are the very large social media companies that can act as an information gateway for a significant percentage of the population -- YouTube, Twitter, etc..  If those are the groups to whom you are referring, then I think that is a point definitely worth discussing.
See my comment about online content above. Consider that with the revelations after Elon Musk bought Twitter of definite Government collusion and even extensive "former" three letter agency employees on staff at Twitter and other Social Media Platforms influencing what content was even allowed on the platforms (AKA: censorship) some severe violations of the First Amendment were commonplace, because those violations were not just a platform deciding what they wanted to allow (legal under the 1st), but were heavily influenced, if not dictated by, government entities, a violation of the 1st Amendment.

Do I think that's right? Oh, Hell no. But it happened. Government took a hand in what was allowed on Social Media.

As I said, Major media is still a government institution.

Even the protections granted under Section 230 did not require removal of harmful content (and some of it undeniably is), censorship of content based on government input creates something different than an unbiased platform for discussion and debate, it creates a government controlled narrative. That narrative was used to convince people to push for lockdowns wear (useless) masks, and to get injections of questionable value and possible harm.

Did the word get out otherwise? Sure. some of us out here posted not only what, but why, the narrative was at best incomplete, and at times downright wrong. We also indicated where following the narrative (official policy, like putting COVID patients in extended care facilities without the means for isolation, but with a population of vulnerable patients with multiple comorbidities) contributed to unnecessary deaths. But we aren't the NYT or WaPo, we don't have that distribution, and censored from major Social Media platforms, were left with 'the grapevine' of comments on news aggregator sites (which is why I posted links to the research papers, so any out there could look and assess, and spread that information,with the peer-reviewed studies in hand).

But the Major media did their job, and induced such panic that some out there were calling for rounding up the "unvaccinated" and putting them in camps, if not  summary execution for not getting the injections that were supposed to protect them from getting sick, not considering the cognitive disconnect that if they, themselves, had those injections, they were supposedly immune. That's how deep the panic was, that these 'miraculous' injections were at first offered, then made a condition of employment, and in some areas the whole idea of travel and commerce was proposed to be linked to a 'vaccination passport'.

All of this was ginned up in under a year,  despite street riots and other goings on, despite 'elites' behaving as they damned well pleased off-camera, that Americans would so severely react to fundamental rights, and decry the physician-patient relationship to the degree that doctors were not allowed to use their best judgement for their patients, and that two drugs which had been administered billions of times were suddenly claimed to be ineffective or harmful.

Yes, elements of out Government were behind that, and those still exert heavy influence on what gets out through any major media platform (with the possible exception of Twitter, now X).

There are alternatives, sure, but how many who have none of the political savvy found here will go there to look for information contrary to the Government Approved Narrative that is so perfusive?

More, every day, I hope.
YMMV
« Last Edit: August 31, 2023, 08:55:10 pm by Smokin Joe »

C S Lewis

Offline roamer_1

I will rise to defend your position, primarily because controlling media is still a matter of free market - What has happened to FOX may have been caused by a court settlement, but in the end, their power rests with the people walking away to find another venue.

However, I will take exception to this bit (with emphasis in bold):

That's right, in the end, but the power exerted through the media by government was downright spooky. The COVID episode is undoubtedly the best example of that in my lifetime, and many, many steps are necessary to correct that, or we WILL have a complacent media soon enough.

And the censorship - There is no damn way that censorship was organic. It was orchestrated, and had government all over it. As it is, we were damn lucky that "all of us actually did acquire the information and evidence necessary to oppose a lot of what was going on".

As I said, media is a matter of free market. But @Smokin Joe is not wrong in his assessment either. The ones that participate in ordained 'news' from on high, and encouraged the censorship are in every sense a government propaganda tool, and to smooth that over is to ignore a snake by the path.

Offline the OlLine Rebel

If Biden is Impeached.  Trump will still have to deal with President Kamala Harris overseeing DOJ.

Trump doesn't have great luck with African American women in positions of power.

Biden Impeachment is a long shot to stop the ongoing state and Federal prosecutions of Tangerine Mussolini.

Good luck getting those wet-noodle Congressional Republicans to grow a spine.

Of course, Kamala isn’t really an “African-American” or black.  She just identifies as such.
Common sense is an uncommon virtue.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

I will rise to defend your position, primarily because controlling media is still a matter of free market - What has happened to FOX may have been caused by a court settlement, but in the end, their power rests with the people walking away to find another venue.

However, I will take exception to this bit (with emphasis in bold):

That's right, in the end, but the power exerted through the media by government was downright spooky. The COVID episode is undoubtedly the best example of that in my lifetime, and many, many steps are necessary to correct that, or we WILL have a complacent media soon enough.

And the censorship - There is no damn way that censorship was organic. It was orchestrated, and had government all over it. As it is, we were damn lucky that "all of us actually did acquire the information and evidence necessary to oppose a lot of what was going on".

As I said, media is a matter of free market. But @Smokin Joe is not wrong in his assessment either. The ones that participate in ordained 'news' from on high, and encouraged the censorship are in every sense a government propaganda tool, and to smooth that over is to ignore a snake by the path.

This is the YouTube/Twitter/Facebook censorship argument, and I'm 100% on board with that. That is the problem, not the media sources/content creators themselves.  Hell, there are orders of magnitude more -- and more diverse in terms of viewpoint, etc., -- content creators now than there were 50 years ago.  And that content is far more accessible than it has ever been.

I mean, it's scary to think how powerful individual content creators/providers were back then.  One man saying "what the hell is going on - I thought we were winning this war" changed the political trajectory of an entire war.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2023, 06:05:01 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

@Maj. Bill Martin 

Nope. I didn't acquire my information through the press. After reading the article in Nature, a paywall journal under ordinary circumstances, I searched medical journals. Peer reviewed papers of generally limited scope in ordinary circumstances, targeting specific audiences in the medical field and specialties, mainly used to either convey findings of studies conducted or to keep afloat in a 'publish or perish' university environment.
I did not rely on the WSJ (don't have a subscription), NYT, WaPo, ABCNNBCBS or FOX (except to tell me what I should be looking for as they denied it).

Generally, it took a bit of finagling to find the same peer-reviewed study results that were not behind a paywall (Elsevier, for one, controls access to an awful lot of scientific information, and for just 39.95, you, too can read the article, or log in with your institutional account).

Media consumption was never free, nor should it be.  People have to work to produce that information and deserve to be compensated for their efforts.  We had to buy physical copies of newspapers, newsmagazines, etc., if we wanted to read that stuff.  Same with professional journals, and the electronic subscriptions are cheaper and more easily available to the masses than the hard copies ever were.

Anyway, I don't have a subscription to the WSJ either.  But there are a lot of writers out there who do, and generally, they're pretty good about disseminating the gist of what the article says.  That's pretty much true for all that stuff.  In terms of availability of information, we have never been in a better place than we are today.  Even if we don't read it all ourselves, there are plenty of secondary sources that write about this stuff and reference it.  And then getting on the internet and digging means we can all get much, much closer to the true sources than we ever could before.  Before the internet, we were 100% dependent on what Walter Cronkite and his buddies told us, or what we got from the national newspapers/newsmagazines.  Now...they can't really hide stuff like they used to.  It always gets out.

As for generally available media, however, the vast majority of that is controlled by relatively few corporations. Rather than reproduce the content of the Wiki article on that, I will just post this link.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Media_cross-ownership_in_the_United_States

Consider that most news stories which are not local originate with the wire services, AP and Reuters being the dominant two. Which is why virtually any newspaper or local TV station will have the same story, same sources, same spin, and yes, the same buzzwords. "an obvious threat to our democracy" being a favorite. ...

If you're going to limit yourself to the alphabet networks and the WP/NYT, sure.  But why in the world would you choose to do that?  My god, just look at this fire in Maui.  So there is the "traditional" news reports, but then there are also massive amounts of first person stuff from people who were actually there, posting video, describing what they've seen, then all of that getting disseminated in the blink of an eye.  The days of the "major media" have a monopoly on information control are long gone.

and with rare exception, that 'chucklehead' might get a few clicks a day. Their news or commentary, if not posted on a major platform, will be buried by search engine bias.
Sure, some go viral, get monetized on YouTube, but they have to get past the platform censors first.

As I said, censorship by the social media apparatus that disseminates (rather than creates) a lot of content -- YouTube, Facebook, Twitter, etc. -- is a separate issue where I agree there is a problem.  But even their ability to restrict the flow of information has massive, massive holes.  We know it is happening precisely because of those holes.  Something gets censored, and there are any number of outlets that immediately pick up that story and run with it.  That's how we've managed to discuss all that stuff here, right?

The single chucklehead (Matt Drudge was one at one point) was the extreme I pointed to as the example of how there are no barriers to entry.  The reality is there are tons of mid-sized sources, outlets, and publishers through which almost all that information is readily disseminated.  Breitbart, etc..  Hell, websites like this one, Free Republic, and a bunch of other news aggregation sites that put stuff out faster than we can read it.  I get friends sending me links, I see links embedded on articles, and dig on them.  You can access court documents, etc..  The amount of available information is staggering.

Again, most of what passes for news out there is controlled by seven major corporations. Those corporations are commonly controlled by one person or family who has the majority of stock in the corporation. That leaves us with a room full of people controlling the vast majority of the so-called information out there. You may (or may not be) free to post what you want on line, but the effects of this were readily apparent in the manifestation of mass panic during COVID, for example.

There are more than seven listed in the link you provided, and even those seven don't even come close to agreeing on everything.  Further, within those seven, there are vastly different approaches and agendas.  A great example of that is when the New York Post -- which is owned by NewsCorp, which is in turn owned by the Murdochs, published the Hunter Biden laptop story in 2020.   It was immediately derided by most of the other major media, but they pushed it hard, as did much of FoxNews except for Tucker, who happened to be a buddy of Hunter Biden and so wasn't going to talk about it.  And others in the media and outside the major media picked it up and ran with it.  That's not evidence of some monolithic "institution" of the press.

Yes there were alternatives, but people had to lose that deer-in-the-headlights attitude of doom so effectively imparted by the MSM to even be rational enough to look for other answers.
I'm a scientist, and picked up on a few lies right out of the gate ("hydroxychloroquine kills" being notable, because I know someone who had been taking it for seven years who was then, and is still alive), so I went looking in the scientific journals for information, but not many people will do that, or can even interpret the results, check the validity of the conclusions based on the data, and verify whether the study was set up to produce a desired result or whether it did a fair and complete assessment of the question at hand. I saw a lot of 'bad' science done during COVID, and the number of scientific journal articles withdrawn/retracted in a short period of time has been unprecedented. But you won't read about that in the NYT, nor hear about it on ABCNNBCBS.

There were plenty of stories out there very early on that challenged the so-called "mainstream media" view of things.  It was all over talk radio,

As I have indicated, those 'content creators' for the mainstream media are limited to a handful of people who feed the upstream end of the wire services.

That is simply not true.  There are literally thousands of "content creators" employed by the major media companies alone, each with their own twitter feeds, agendas, etc..  The ownership doesn't sit there and vet every article published -- that's literally impossible.  They give general guidance, but that general guidance loses impact the further down it filters in most organizations. That's why we see wild public disagreements between people like Tucker and other employees of the very same network.

That content is widely distributed through the handful of media networks that control the major markets. It is like finding scattered placer gold and following it upstream to the mother lode. Aside from local news and human interest stories unique to that local market, the vast majority of what you read in the papers is from one or two news wire services, and Gannet owns a tremendous chunk of the smaller newspaper market
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_assets_owned_by_Gannett along with USA Today. The others are the NYT, Tribune Publishing, Hearst, Bloomberg, Newscorp, Advance Publications, and Nash. 
So, all of this may fly a lot of banners above the headlines, but essentially has the same content and format. Even online, Alphabet, Amazon, Apple, Meta, and Microsoft control a tremendous amount of content or access through search engine bias.

That's not how most people get their news anymore.  They don't buy papers.  They get it online, things sent to them by friends, etc..

As I said, Major media is still a government institution.

I don't agree.  The difference is that you see the press all as some kind of top down hierarchy, but that isn't the problem at all.  If it was truly some hierarchical, government-run institution, then it would be aligned with whomever was in control of the government.  But it isn't -- it has never been pro-conservative/pro-Republican.  That's how we know it is not an institution controlled by the government because the agenda of the majority of the mainstream press -- there are exceptions -- has always been left/liberal regardless of who controlled the government. 

The problem isn't the top-down ownership, which generally is way too far removed from operations to have much direct influence, but rather the individual people who choose journalism careers.  Those people, who tend to become the editors, etc. who really do have massive influence, have overwhelmingly tended to be left-wing/liberals, or moderates.  They go into journalism in the first place because of a desire to "change the world" (most common answer given by journalism students 35 years ago as to why they went into the field).  They're not all pulling in the same direction because they are part of some monolithic institution.  They tend to go in the same directions because they happen to share the same beliefs.  You could break all those companies up, change the ownership...and you'd still have the same problem of bias to the left.

Did the word get out otherwise? Sure. some of us out here posted not only what, but why, the narrative was at best incomplete, and at times downright wrong. We also indicated where following the narrative (official policy, like putting COVID patients in extended care facilities without the means for isolation, but with a population of vulnerable patients with multiple comorbidities) contributed to unnecessary deaths. But we aren't the NYT or WaPo, we don't have that distribution, and censored from major Social Media platforms, were left with 'the grapevine' of comments on news aggregator sites (which is why I posted links to the research papers, so any out there could look and assess, and spread that information,with the peer-reviewed studies in hand).

I think you overestimate the ability of the mainstream narrative to control the narrative.  Lots of people heard about the nursing homes -- it was all over the place even if not reprinted in the NYT/WaPost or on CNN/MSNBC.  But that's because if you look at the subscriptions/viewership for that mainstream media, it is far smaller than it was in the past.  It's why so many of them are dying -- nobody reads them anymore.

But take the nursing home issue, and consider your premise of "they're all owned by just seven corporation who are all just part of the same "institution".  The New York Post, FoxNews, Breitbart, talk radio, elected politicians, etc., were all over it anyway.  The word did get out, and comparatively quickly.

But the Major media did their job, and induced such panic that some out there were calling for rounding up the "unvaccinated" and putting them in camps, if not  summary execution for not getting the injections that were supposed to protect them from getting sick, not considering the cognitive disconnect that if they, themselves, had those injections, they were supposedly immune. That's how deep the panic was, that these 'miraculous' injections were at first offered, then made a condition of employment, and in some areas the whole idea of travel and commerce was proposed to be linked to a 'vaccination passport'.

That's not because they were a singular institution.  It's because they are shared in that exact same panic and agreed with those policies. 

Offline roamer_1

This is the YouTube/Twitter/Facebook censorship argument, and I'm 100% on board with that. That is the problem, not the media sources/content creators themselves.  Hell, there are orders of magnitude more -- and more diverse in terms of viewpoint, etc., -- content creators now than there were 50 years ago.  And that content is far more accessible than it has ever been.

Well, sorta YouTube/Twitter/Facebook - That's true, but also backed by the Cable Media conglomerate... ABC/CBS/NBC/FOX etc. The narrative there carried the omission of truth and followed the company line. They too are very guilty of not carrying the other side of the argument.

And between those two groups and the 'official' narrative coming from DC... Man, that's hard to beat.
I was digging around on secondary and tertiary sites, and finding info in digital alleys and dumpsters.

While that's the fix for me and mine, still the primary narrative came right out of Washington, and that's what the lion's share heard and did.

I mean, it's scary to think how powerful individual content creators/providers were back then.  One man saying "what the hell is going on - I thought we were winning this war" changed the political trajectory of an entire war.

The Castle vs. the Bazaar
Sure... And I am with you on that. I revel in the media bazaar, and much prefer it to the media castle that governed information for decades, relying on talking heads to deliver the chunked and formed evening news... I get it.

But even as I say that, I understand that the lion's share of folks are plugging into that same old monolith like a favorite vending machine... And the spell is not easy to break.

And with the actual misinformation - *REAL* misinformation being slung about by Tumpy and Co. and  major media, and others makes it damn hard to find the truth. Most do not come to a forum to discuss. Most get a slogan at best, derived from a twitterpated post.

It is a problem.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2023, 10:10:27 pm by roamer_1 »

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

But even as I say that, I understand that the lion's share of folks are plugging into that same old monolith like a favorite vending machine... And the spell is not easy to break.

I agree.  But that's because of lazy readers, not because they are prevented from accessing that information. 

And with the actual misinformation - *REAL* misinformation being slung about by Tumpy and Co. and  major media, and others makes it damn hard to find the truth. Most do not come to a forum to discuss. Most get a slogan at best, derived from a twitterpated post.

That's the crux of it.  I mean, let's be blunt.  There are a lot of folks even here who go off at the first sign of a headline, without even reading the article.  Much less trying to vet the claims that appear in the article itself.  So we're (broadly speaking) gullible enough to believe stuff that validates what we already believe, while at the same time refuse to consider stuff that contradicts what we believe.  I mean, I like reading the NYT, WaPo, etc. because at least then I know what the other side is saying, and I can follow up or vet things as I choose.  But way, way too many people choose to live in a media bubble. 

It doesn't take a media conspiracy, or seven fatcats sitting in a room telling the rest of us what to thing.  We have the media we deserve because most of us don't do the good citizenship necessary to support better.  That's the real bottom line.  It's our fault.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2023, 04:04:31 am by Maj. Bill Martin »