General Category > Weather

Florida prepares for Tropical Storm Idalia to make landfall on Gulf Coast with lessons learned from

(1/10) > >>

mystery-ak:
 Florida prepares for Tropical Storm Idalia to make landfall on Gulf Coast with lessons learned from Ian
By Steven Yablonski , Andrew Wulfeck , Emilee Speck, FOX Weather   
August 27, 2023 8:10pm

Hurricane, Tropical Storm and Storm Surge Watches have been issued for parts of Florida as the state prepares for potential landfall of Idalia.

The National Hurricane Center (NHC) upgraded Tropical Depression Ten near the southern Gulf of Mexico to Tropical Storm Idalia on Sunday, with landfall expected as a hurricane along Florida’s Gulf Coast later this week.

There are only a few days left for Florida residents to prepare for the effects of the storm, and Gov. Ron DeSantis declared a state of emergency for 33 counties to ensure communities have the resources they need ahead of the storm’s arrival.

DeSantis said in a news conference on Sunday that everyone along Florida’s Gulf Coast needs to prepare.

The governor urged residents not to wait to get ready if they are outside the storm’s cone of uncertainty, recalling the forecast for Hurricane Ian last year, which at one point had a potential landfall in the Florida Panhandle.

Ian made landfall in Southwest Florida as a major hurricane.

“The models are probably more in agreement than when we had Ian last year. But these things can shift. There’s still some uncertainty out there,” DeSantis said.

The FOX Forecast Center does a post-analysis of data after any tropical system makes landfall to determine the agreement and accuracy of forecast models.

The NHC issued a Storm Surge Watch, Hurricane Watch and Tropical Storm Watch for the parts of the Gulf Coast of Florida on Sunday.

More watches and warnings may be issued for other areas along Florida’s Gulf Coast in the coming days.

[imgwidth=500]https://nypost.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2023/08/NYPICHPDPICT000026876428.jpg?quality=75&strip=all[/img]
Gov. Ron DeSantis declared a state of emergency for 33 counties to ensure communities have the resources they need ahead of the storm’s arrival.

much more here
https://nypost.com/2023/08/27/florida-prepares-for-tropical-storm-idalia-with-lessons-learned-from-ian/

mystery-ak:
My sister will have a heart attack..I think they are almost finished re-building their house on Sanibel Island from the last hurricane..

Wingnut:

--- Quote from: mystery-ak on August 28, 2023, 12:47:11 am ---My sister will have a heart attack..I think they are almost finished re-building their house on Sanibel Island from the last hurricane..

--- End quote ---

They are saying it will make land fall to the east of the Big Bend.   Which is probably the best place as it is mostly woodlands and marshlands and low population density.

libertybele:

--- Quote from: mystery-ak on August 28, 2023, 12:47:11 am ---My sister will have a heart attack..I think they are almost finished re-building their house on Sanibel Island from the last hurricane..

--- End quote ---

This will impact as a Cat 3 in the Big Bend area, that is what we are hearing locally.   --   We are also hearing that even without it being a hurricane as of right now we could see 2-4 foot of storm surge. Depending on the tide at the time it could have a significant impact.  I like your sister am very concerned.  Wind is one thing, water is another. 

We are under a 'watch' for right now. I am trying to remain calm.

However, and the reason for my huge concern is this is exactly the scenario that played out during Ian.  They kept telling us that the hurricane would hit the Big Bend area and it hit Lee county as a Cat5 (that's what was recorded here locally different than the 'official' records of Cat 4).  Storm surge was extreme.

Prayers up for your sister @mystery-ak

cato potatoe:
Big mess coming in Tampa Bay, unless the circulation is Andrew-sized.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version