Author Topic: Navy divers are searching for victims in Maui after deadly wildfire  (Read 261 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Navy divers are searching for victims in Maui after deadly wildfire
By Diana Stancy Correll
 Aug 25, 04:41 PM

A team of Navy divers is assisting with the relief efforts in Maui as the island recovers from massive, deadly wildfires.

The three-person mobile diving salvage unit from U.S. Pacific Fleet, which arrived this week just 24 hours after the Maui Fire Department requested them, are searching for remains and conducting underwater surveying for salvage operations in Lahaina Harbor, according to Army Col. David Fielder, the Joint Task Force 5-0 deputy commander.

“They provide an expeditionary and deployable diving and salvage operation for the harbor here and the waterway,” Fielder told reporters Thursday.

The divers are among the more than 600 Defense Department personnel and Coast Guardsmen working with the Federal Emergency Management Agency and the state of Hawaii in response to the wildfires.

JTF 5-0 continues to maintain traffic-control points and conduct 24-hour security operations in Lahaina in coordination with local law enforcement.

https://www.militarytimes.com/news/your-navy/2023/08/25/navy-divers-are-searching-for-victims-in-maui-after-deadly-wildfire/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Re: Navy divers are searching for victims in Maui after deadly wildfire
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2023, 10:08:03 pm »
Being a body recovery diver for the military or the police is a job I wouldn't take if the pay was a million dollars a dive.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Idiot

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2023, 10:16:29 pm »
Being a body recovery diver for the military or the police is a job I wouldn't take if the pay was a million dollars a dive.
A friend of mine was a marine stationed in Afghanistan.  His job was to pick up body parts after an IED exploded killing our soldiers.  He said the only time it ever bothered him was if it was someone he knew.  I can't even imagine.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2023, 10:34:59 pm »
A friend of mine was a marine stationed in Afghanistan.  His job was to pick up body parts after an IED exploded killing our soldiers.  He said the only time it ever bothered him was if it was someone he knew.  I can't even imagine.

@Jack Russell

That would be bad enough,but  coming face to face with something like the bloated and rotting body of a child that is being eaten by the fish  and crabs would be more than I could deal with.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!