Author Topic: Judge asks if poverty qualifies for Biden policy letting migrants from 4 countries into US  (Read 159 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Judge asks if poverty qualifies for Biden policy letting migrants from 4 countries into US

by: JUAN A. LOZANO, Associated Press

Posted: Aug 25, 2023 / 05:15 PM CDT

Updated: Aug 25, 2023 / 05:15 PM CDT

HOUSTON (AP) — A federal judge on Friday questioned whether living in poverty would be enough to qualify someone for a key immigration policy from President Joe Biden that allows a limited number of people from four countries in the Americas to enter the U.S. on humanitarian grounds.

The program allows up to 30,000 people into the U.S. each month from Cuba, Haiti, Nicaragua and Venezuela combined.

The program is being challenged in a lawsuit filed by Texas and 20 other Republican-leaning states. They’re accusing it of being a “shadow immigration system” that’s letting in nearly everyone who applies.

U.S. District Judge Drew Tipton said that a “massive chunk of the world” lives in poverty, adding he’s visited Haiti and seen terrible living conditions there firsthand.

https://www.borderreport.com/immigration/judge-asks-if-poverty-qualifies-for-biden-policy-letting-migrants-from-4-countries-into-us/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson