Author Topic: Could the US Stop a Massive, Sudden "Fait Accompli" Chinese Takeover of Taiwan?  (Read 405 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Could the US Stop a Massive, Sudden "Fait Accompli" Chinese Takeover of Taiwan?

It does seem realistic that a US allied force might be able to “remove” or destroy PLA forces occupying Taiwan, yet the question is “at what cost?”

KRIS OSBORN, WARRIOR MAVEN - CENTER FOR MILITARY MODERNIZATIONAUG 22, 2023
By Kris Osborn, President, Center for Military Modernization

The Pentagon's China reports refer to it as a “fait accompli,” ..... a sudden, massive, catastrophic Chinese ballistic missile attack on Taiwan designed to overwhelm its air defenses, destroy its aircraft and quickly encircle or occupy the island with an amphibious assault.

The potential Chinese thinking, according to Pentagon strategists tracking the Chinese threat, would be to annex Taiwan quickly such that it would become too costly in terms of casualties, war damage and dollars to assemble a force capable of “extricating” an occupying Chinese force from Taiwan.

Looking at available force numbers across the Pacific from countries such as South Korea and Japan, and the number of available 5th-generation aircraft and US Navy assets, it does seem realistic that a US allied force might be able to “remove” or destroy PLA forces occupying Taiwan, yet the question is “at what cost?” Including reserves, Globalfirepower.com’s 2023 force assessments says Japan can mass as many as 1 million forces and South Korea has at least 2 million in manpower. However, what would it take to assemble, stage and launch a multi-national amphibious attack force capable of removing a Chinese force embedded in Taiwan? Getting heavy armor or mechanized formations to the island of Taiwan would also likely prove quite difficult or time consuming.  Naval superiority and 5th-generation air attack, coupled with long-range surface and air land strike would seem critical to any effort of this kind. Air superiority would likely be the fastest and most expedient path through which to destroy a Chinese force occupying Taiwan.

https://warriormaven.com/china/could-the-us-stop-a-massive-sudden-fait-accompli-chinese-takeover-of-taiwan
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline DefiantMassRINO

China has the advantage of proximity and numbers.  If they also have the advantage of surprise, the West would find itself attempting to dislodge an entrenched PLA from Taiwan.

Have the UN put peace keepers in the Taiwan Straight.  Up the international risks and costs for the Chi-coms.
"It doesn't matter what temperature the room is, it's always room temperature." - Steven Wright

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
This assumes a couple of things:

1) That Taiwan would want to risk it's world class chip manufacturing infrastructure to war and not just give up after such a blitzkrieg attack.

2) That the Biden family would want to risk the Biden family's Chinese money pipeline by going to war with the Beijing over Taiwan.
The Republic is lost.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Wrong question.

The right question would be "Would America even try to stop China from taking control of Taiwan?"

With Biden as President,the answer would be "Not if the Chinese paid him off with  100 bucks and a child to molest."
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
If it is a fait accompli then there is nothing to stop.
It is a done deal.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline yodaspock

I could stop the Chinese with one sentence, told to the Chinese by someone who doesn't have dementia.

Go ahead take Taiwan, we will take back Hong Kong.