Author Topic: Some thoughts, all cynical and sour, about the Republican debate  (Read 385 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
August 24, 2023
Some thoughts, all cynical and sour, about the Republican debate
By Andrea Widburg

So, I sat through all two hours of the debate amongst the Republican primary candidates, although I was very irked by Larry Elder’s absence. Having said that, he didn’t miss much. It was like watching a junior high school debate, complete with the cool kids asking stupid questions and the geeks fighting on the stage. I hated every minute of it, thought it was embarrassing for all involved, and found it insulting to the American voters.

If you want details about questions and answers, you’ll find them elsewhere. These are just my impressions.

As is the case every election cycle, the format is appalling. It caters to the media’s assumption that voters cannot hold anything in their brains for more than a minute or two. They think we’re stupid, and the format is set up to cater to that. It’s cruel to legitimate candidates to force them to address complex issues in one-minute soundbites, and it deprives the American people of important information. It’s such a degradation of real political debate.

Within that appalling format, I couldn’t be less impressed with Bret Baier and Martha MacCallum. Their questions were shallow and, considering that it was their format, they had no control over the candidates. I also disliked that they thought it was smart to open with a question that saw them playing Oliver Anthony’s “Rich Men North of Richmond.” Yes, I understand that the song has resonated with Americans. However, if each candidate gets only one minute, don’t waste time on a song.

more..a good read
https://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2023/08/some_thoughts_all_cynical_and_sour_about_the_republican_debate.html
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Re: Some thoughts, all cynical and sour, about the Republican debate
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2023, 02:48:19 pm »
August 24, 2023
Some thoughts, all cynical and sour, about the Republican debate
By Andrea Widburg

So, I sat through all two hours of the debate amongst the Republican primary candidates, although I was very irked by Larry Elder’s absence. Having said that, he didn’t miss much. It was like watching a junior high school debate, complete with the cool kids asking stupid questions and the geeks fighting on the stage. I hated every minute of it, thought it was embarrassing for all involved, and found it insulting to the American voters.

If you want details about questions and answers, you’ll find them elsewhere. These are just my impressions.

As is the case every election cycle, the format is appalling. It caters to the media’s assumption that voters cannot hold anything in their brains for more than a minute or two. They think we’re stupid, and the format is set up to cater to that. It’s cruel to legitimate candidates to force them to address complex issues in one-minute soundbites, and it deprives the American people of important information. It’s such a degradation of real political debate.

Within that appalling format, I couldn’t be less impressed with Bret Baier and Martha MacCallum. Their questions were shallow and, considering that it was their format, they had no control over the candidates. I also disliked that they thought it was smart to open with a question that saw them playing Oliver Anthony’s “Rich Men North of Richmond.” Yes, I understand that the song has resonated with Americans. However, if each candidate gets only one minute, don’t waste time on a song.

more..a good read
https://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2023/08/some_thoughts_all_cynical_and_sour_about_the_republican_debate.html

Can we maybe insist on longer times to answer questions, than quick condensed sound bite versions?

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2023, 02:49:50 pm »
The most important part of the debate was when they asked Christie about UFO's. Riveting. Really.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2023, 03:50:54 pm »
The most important part of the debate was when they asked Christie about UFO's. Riveting. Really.

Christie had a great response to that, though.  He openly mocked the question itself, but broadened the question when he answered it to actually sound important.   He's better on his feet than any of the rest of them.

But yeah, wasting time with stupid questions is frustrating.  I suppose the hope is that if we're down to just six next time, each candidate will get more time to answer to they can go a bit deeper.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2023, 03:51:28 pm »
Christie had a great response to that, though.  He openly mocked the question itself, but broadened the question when he answered it to actually sound important.   He's better on his feet than any of the rest of them.

But yeah, wasting time with stupid questions is frustrating.  I suppose the hope is that if we're down to just six next time, each candidate will get more time to answer to they can go a bit deeper.

I'd love to see video of that.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline catfish1957

• FJB!!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2023, 04:07:19 pm »

I would have looked at McCollum, and said.  "Nice Try"  "How about a serious question this time?"

This made the debate mods look like idiots.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline cato potatoe

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2023, 04:14:56 pm »
Well, it's Fox News after all.  Did we expect anything more?

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2023, 04:20:11 pm »
@Weird Tolkienish Figure

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c74_b94dzNI&ab_channel=FoxNews

A perfect illustration of just how unserious that "debate" last night was. Not one substantive question was asked by anyone. No policy question of substance at all.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2023, 05:03:22 pm »
A perfect illustration of just how unserious that "debate" last night was. Not one substantive question was asked by anyone. No policy question of substance at all.

It's tough in that kind of format with that many candidates because they can only hit a limited number of topics.  The UFO question obviously was the worst one of the night, though.  Presumably, they'll hit other topics in other debates.