Author Topic: Trump Floats Tariff Plan That Will Make Everything More Expensive  (Read 1368 times)

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Re: Trump Floats Tariff Plan That Will Make Everything More Expensive
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2023, 03:37:41 am »
I've had disagreements with you before j. myrle, but you're dead-on right above...
As another longtime member might say...  :beer:
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2023, 03:57:35 am »
Trump Floats Tariff Plan That Will Make Everything More Expensive

Sounds just like something a Democrat would do.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2023, 03:58:51 am »
The trade border is just as much a line of defense as the land borders with Mexico and Canada and our air and sea ports. It baffles me to see "conservatives" take a path that willingly rewards communist countries with "no tax" trade.

If trade with China is bad, then ban trade with China.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2023, 09:46:45 am »
The trade border is just as much a line of defense as the land borders with Mexico and Canada and our air and sea ports. It baffles me to see "conservatives" take a path that willingly rewards communist countries with "no tax" trade.

We used to be against communists, remember? But NOOOO... that might make it cost-effective to bring that production here to America again. And we don't want that, because... unions? We don't want to do physical labor anymore? Cheaper is always better? None of that makes sense. Why?

We, allegedly the strongest economy in the world, have been importing more than we export for decades. We can't supply our own needs under the current system; is that healthy? Of course it's not, and it's especially not healthy to be beholden to communist nations to provide basics.

This is where primciples/ideology meets reality: this plan will massively make thing smore expensive. No doubt about it. Much as I hate communism in China there are very limited elements of capitalism and they are keeping hyperinflration at bay (somewhat) in the current world fiat currency scheme.. In principle, in normal times, i'd agree, but these aren't normal times. Just saying.

Offline LMAO

« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2023, 10:53:31 am »
This is where primciples/ideology meets reality: this plan will massively make thing smore expensive. No doubt about it.

Yup

I don’t oppose renegotiating trade deals, and it doesn’t mean I am for our factories leaving and going to places like China

I’m just simply pointing out the reality of what protectionists tariffs do and  did. Tariffs are a tax. And the cost is always eventually passed on to the consumer

And Trump is promising even more tariffs. So it’s completely fair to evaluate what his tariffs did the first time

« Last Edit: August 27, 2023, 11:09:55 am by LMAO »
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy