Author Topic: Trump called for ‘termination’ of parts of Constitution in December  (Read 1360 times)

Offline Hoodat

Re: Trump called for ‘termination’ of parts of Constitution in December
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2023, 12:39:11 am »
"Trump called for ‘termination’ of parts of Constitution in December"

Well, at least he's not as bad as the DCommunists.

Hey, there's a winning campaign slogan.

No thanks.  I prefer a candidate who wants to keep all of it.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2023, 12:40:32 am »
Hey...Hey...HEY!!!

And not just any "nutjobs" either.  They are a protected species 'round here.   :laugh:

As are you.  A protected endangered species.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2023, 12:45:36 am »
  Trumpslaining.

Nope! Just honest, in full context, reading.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online LMAO

« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2023, 12:46:23 am »
My job allows me to screw as many women as I want
I love being a mortician

Lol
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Online LMAO

« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2023, 12:46:48 am »

Yup
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

Online roamer_1

« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2023, 01:06:06 am »
This is why I'm glad to see that most of the candidates stuck by Mike Pence, who did do his constitutional duty on that day and has taken tremendous flak for it.

That's right. But he's off the table for me due to his gubernatorial record.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #31 on: August 25, 2023, 01:11:09 am »

Amen!
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #32 on: August 25, 2023, 01:26:04 am »
This is why I'm glad to see that most of the candidates stuck by Mike Pence, who did do his constitutional duty on that day and has taken tremendous flak for it.
Well, except the part that got skipped, The part about Objections.

And that is why I would vote for my garbage collector before I'd vote for Pence. The Garbage collector manages to do his whole job, consistently, no matter what is going on outside.

https://crsreports.congress.gov/product/pdf/RL/RL32717/12

Objecting to the Counting of One or More Electoral Votes

Provisions in 3 U.S.C. §15 include a procedure for making and acting on objections to the
counting of one or more of the electoral votes from a state or the District of Columbia. When the
certificate or equivalent paper from each state (or the District of Columbia) is read, “the President
of the Senate shall call for objections, if any.” Any such objection must be presented in writing
and must be signed by at least one Senator and one Representative. The objection “shall state
clearly and concisely, and without argument, the ground thereof.... ” During the joint session of
January 6, 2001, the presiding officer intervened on several occasions to halt attempts to make
speeches under the guise of offering an objection.
When an objection, properly made in writing and endorsed by at least one Senator and one
Representative, is received, each house is to meet and consider it separately. The statute states
that “[n]o votes or papers from any other State shall be acted upon until the objections previously
made to the votes or papers from any State shall have been finally disposed of.” However, in
1873, before enactment of the law now in force, the joint session agreed, without objection and
for reasons of convenience, to entertain objections with regard to two or more states before the
houses met separately on any of them.

Disposing of Objections

The joint session does not act on any objections that are made. Instead, the joint session is
suspended while each house meets separately to debate the objection and vote whether, based on
the objection, to count the vote or votes in question. Both houses must vote separately to agree to
the objection. Otherwise, the objection fails and the vote or votes are counted. (3 U.S.C. §15,
provides that “the two Houses concurrently may reject the vote or votes.... ”)
These procedures have been invoked twice since enactment of the 1887 law. The first was an
instance of what has been called the “faithless elector” problem. In 1969, a Representative (James
O’Hara of Michigan) and a Senator (Edmund S. Muskie of Maine) objected in writing to counting
the vote of an elector from North Carolina who had been expected to cast his vote for Richard
Nixon and Spiro Agnew, but who instead cast his vote for George Wallace and Curtis LeMay.
Both chambers met and voted separately to reject the objection, so when the joint session
resumed, the challenged electoral vote was counted as cast.11 In that instance, the elector whose
vote was challenged was from a state that did not by law “bind” its electors to vote only for the
candidates to whom they were pledged. The instance of a “faithless” elector from a state that
does, in fact, bind the elector by law to vote for the candidate to whom listed or pledged has not
yet been expressly addressed by Congress or the courts.12

11 When the two chambers reconvened in joint session, the Secretary of the Senate reported that the Senate had agreed to the following action: “Ordered, that the Senate by a vote of 33 ayes to 58 nays rejects the objection to the electoral votes cast in the State of North Carolina for George C. Wallace for President and Curtis E. LeMay for Vice President.”
The Clerk of the House stated the results of the House action: “Ordered, that the House of Representatives rejects the objection to the electoral vote of the State of North Carolina submitted by the Representative from Michigan, Mr. O’Hara, and the Senator from Maine, Mr. Muskie.” Congressional Record, vol. 115 (January 6, 1969), p. 171. The House vote was 170-228. See also Deschler’s Precedents, vol. 3, chap. 10, §3.6. Both houses used roll call votes to
decide the question.

12 See Ray v. Blair, 343 U.S. 214 (1952) in which the Court upheld the permissibility of such state limitations but did not address their enforceability.
[/size]
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline The_Reader_David

« Reply #33 on: August 25, 2023, 01:59:58 am »
The way I read that leads me to believe that he is talking about what was done by the perpetrators of the fraud not anything HE wanted to do.

The problem with your reading is that in the previous sentence he is asking about extra-constitutional remedies for the outcome of the election he purports was due to fraud.  You have to throw out part of the Constitution to have a new election.  You have to throw out part of the Constitution to declare a different "rightful" winner, there being no authority within the Constitution to do that. 

The sentence following also supports the reading that it is Trump who wants to abrogate part of the Constitution, appealing to his own judgement of how the Founders would have handled a fraudulent election as support for his position.

« Last Edit: August 25, 2023, 02:02:59 am by The_Reader_David »
And when they behead your own people in the wars which are to come, then you will know what this was all about.

Online Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #34 on: August 25, 2023, 02:32:06 am »
Well, except the part that got skipped, The part about Objections.

But the Objections didn't get skipped.  That's a myth.  They were debated voted upon separately by the House and Senate as required.  The debate on the first one was interrupted by the riots, but when they reconvened, the two objections were processed in accordance with the ACA.

What makes you think they weren't?
« Last Edit: August 25, 2023, 03:30:49 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Online Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #35 on: August 25, 2023, 02:50:32 am »
The problem with your reading is that in the previous sentence he is asking about extra-constitutional remedies for the outcome of the election he purports was due to fraud.  You have to throw out part of the Constitution to have a new election.  You have to throw out part of the Constitution to declare a different "rightful" winner, there being no authority within the Constitution to do that. 

Exactly. In that same "Truth",  Trump expressly demanded a remedy - new elections - that does not exist in the Constitution.  So the only reasonable interpretation of the whole thing is that he believes the commission of fraud justifies overriding the rules, laws, and Constitution regarding elections.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2023, 02:51:38 am by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #36 on: August 25, 2023, 12:26:06 pm »

:thumbsup:

Online LMAO

« Reply #37 on: August 25, 2023, 12:27:32 pm »
Waiting for a couple in here to tell us what he 'meant' to say.  *****rollingeyes*****

As to be expected

But I would rather see them attempt to spin what he said here versus defend it.

Barry Goldwater