Author Topic: DeSantis was winner of the first 2024 Republican debate — man best suited to unseat Trump  (Read 321 times)

Offline Kamaji

Ron DeSantis was winner of the first 2024 Republican debate — man best suited to unseat Trump

By Isaac Schorr
August 23, 2023

Only two questions mattered going into Wednesday night’s GOP primary debate.

Number one: Would any one viable candidate stand out among the crowd?

Number two: If the answer to the first was “Yes,” would our champion distinguish themselves by acting as the absent Donald Trump’s proxy or by setting up a favorable contrast with the frontrunner?

Trump’s decision to sit out the first forum of the 2024 primary season has been cast as a cautious, cowardly decision.

It was undoubtedly the latter, but despite the illusion of political safety, the choice also came with considerable risks.

It was up to the other five candidates – Ron DeSantis, Mike Pence, Tim Scott, Nikki Haley,, and Vivek Ramaswamy – to answer the evening’s operative questions.

DeSantis answered the first with a resounding yes.

And even if he didn’t go for the kill on Wednesday, DeSantis demonstrated a willingness – and ability – to take Trump on.

He’s playing for the top prize, not a place in Trump’s Cabinet, or more likely his court at Mar-a-Lago.

With his performance, DeSantis cemented himself as the man best suited to unseat Trump as the undisputed champion of Republican politics.

Source:  https://nypost.com/2023/08/23/ron-desantis-was-winner-of-the-first-2024-republican-debate/

Online Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
I tuned in for a brief second, I saw the audience booing loudly while Christie was speaking, the whole thing seemed ridiculous.

Offline deb

• Sinner saved by grace.
I don’t know if anyone won last night. Is this really the best this country has to offer? And that includes Trump. YUCK!
Brothers, sisters, come on down to that river
Guaranteed you'll never be the same
There's a fountain flowing from the heart of the Savior
Bring your sins and all your guilty stains
Let that river of life wash it all away

River of Life - Mac Powell

• Technical
I don’t know if anyone won last night. Is this really the best this country has to offer? And that includes Trump. YUCK!

I thought Vivek was good actually. Made good points about what was happening.

Offline deb

• Sinner saved by grace.
I thought Vivek was good actually. Made good points about what was happening.

He did make some good points, but I found myself wanting to slap him.  :nono:
I don’t think he is quite ready for prime time, but he certainly has a pulse on the current state of affairs (as opposed to Pence).
Brothers, sisters, come on down to that river
Guaranteed you'll never be the same
There's a fountain flowing from the heart of the Savior
Bring your sins and all your guilty stains
Let that river of life wash it all away

River of Life - Mac Powell

• Technical
He did make some good points, but I found myself wanting to slap him.  :nono:
I don’t think he is quite ready for prime time, but he certainly has a pulse on the current state of affairs (as opposed to Pence).

I thought Pence came off as having no soul, personally.