Author Topic: Live Thread: GOP Debate  (Read 13971 times)

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
Re: Live Thread: GOP Debate
« Reply #425 on: August 24, 2023, 10:17:22 pm »
That's really his biggest strength. He did best in the debate when he was pointing to the record of what he had accomplished rather than just saying what he would do.

So on the issue of education, he was able to point to banning the teaching of critical race theory and gender studies from Florida classrooms.  On the issue of crime, while everybody else just talked about Soros' prosecutors, he pointed out that he had fired two of them who were refusing to enforce the law in Florida.

To me, that is the real difference between him and the rest of the candidates. We're all used to politicians talking about the things that they would do differently, but it is rare that they can point so specifically to actual examples of how they have done that.

This is also an area where DeSantis is miles above Trump - He has proved his willingness to take strong actions despite massive condemnation from the left.  The left and MSM went after him hard for getting CRT and gender studies out of classrooms, but he stuck with it anyway. They did the same thing when he fired the prosecutors, filing lawsuits against him, etc.. But he's stuck to his guns.

The most obvious difference though, is on COVID. RiV's revisionism aside, most of us remember actually reading at the time how much flack DeSantis was taking for defying government recommendations. I remember reading all the articles from the Washington Post, from the New York times, and Fauci's own comments, saying how DeSantis was essentially murdering older people in Florida.   He took all that flak but stuck to his decisions anyway.

In contrast, the excuse we have been offered on this very site  for Trump's actions regarding Fauci and those recommendations is that he would have taken too much political flack if he had rejected Fauci's recommendations or removed him from that position.  Trump shied away from that kind of political heat, and DeSantis didn't. That is the difference to me.

The problem with DeSantis claiming he got CRT out of Florida schools is the refutation by various schools and/or districts saying  CRT was never part of the curriculum.  Another DeSantis lie? I'll let you decide.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2023, 10:19:05 pm by bigheadfred »
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #426 on: August 24, 2023, 10:51:32 pm »
The problem with DeSantis claiming he got CRT out of Florida schools is the refutation by various schools and/or districts saying  CRT was never part of the curriculum.  Another DeSantis lie? I'll let you decide.

The second they start taking about "systemic racism", it's essentially CRT even if they don't attach that label.  And that's not an exaggeration.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2023, 10:54:19 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #427 on: August 24, 2023, 11:09:10 pm »
Considering Trump will be arrested tonight for the fourth time, your post sounds insane @libertybele

Considering that CNN and the NY Times are now attacking DeSantis in defense of Trump, her post is quite sane.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #428 on: August 25, 2023, 12:29:27 am »

Florida bans teaching critical race theory in schools

Leah Asmelash, CNN     |     Updated 7:38 PM EDT, Thu June 10, 2021

CNN
 —
Florida has become the latest state to ban critical race theory, continuing the growing charge by Republican lawmakers against schools teaching about systemic racism.

After hours of debate and public comment Thursday, the Florida State Board of Education unanimously approved the amendment banning critical race theory. Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis, who appointed much of the board, spoke ahead of the meeting, saying critical race theory would teach children “the country is rotten and that our institutions are illegitimate.”

“That is not worth any taxpayer dollars,” he said.

The amendment states topics must be “factual and objective,” and specifically prohibits “the teaching of Critical Race Theory, meaning the theory that racism is not merely the product of prejudice, but that racism is embedded in American society and its legal systems in order to uphold the supremacy of white persons.”

The amendment also bans material from the 1619 Project, a Pulitzer Prize-winning initiative by The New York Times that reframed American history around the date of August 1619, when the first slave ship arrived on America’s shores.

In a statement posted to Twitter, DeSantis said the amendment protects students from being “indoctrinated to think a certain way,” mirroring language used by other states and locales that have made similar moves.

“Critical Race Theory teaches kids to hate our country and to hate each other. It is state-sanctioned racism and has no place in Florida schools,” he wrote.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/06/10/us/critical-race-theory-florida-ban-trnd/index.html
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline DB

« Reply #429 on: August 25, 2023, 12:45:58 am »

Many said it wasn't in their curriculum. It was proven to be a lie repeatedly.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #430 on: August 25, 2023, 12:46:37 am »
He has a very good record as Governor of North Dakota but otherwise I don't know much about him beyond what anyone can find on the internet.

He's a smart guy who loves his home state. Mortgaged his family land to fund a software startup which became very successful and later sold to Microsoft for $1.1 billion. Worked for MS at a high level for several years before becoming Governor.

I would be very interested in hearing from our N.D. residents on the matter. @deb @Smokin Joe

He has been a reasonable Governor. If you want better insight, read his veto messages
https://www.governor.nd.gov/sites/www/files/documents/SB-2055-veto-message.pdf
https://www.governor.nd.gov/sites/www/files/documents/Senate%20Bill%202015%20veto%20message.pdf which tend to disclose a rational approach to fiscal and separation of powers within the State Government.

But there is this, on social matters: https://apnews.com/article/transgender-pronouns-schools-veto-north-dakota-3f867fcf1460c11af5da4d7e0f7661e8 Text of Bill: https://legiscan.com/ND/text/SB2231/2023 Senate overturned, House failed to overturn the veto.

He's a mixedbag, some good, some I don't agree with.

https://www.omb.nd.gov/sites/www/files/documents/financial-transparency/state-budgets/2021-23-budget-highlights-brochure.pdf
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #431 on: August 25, 2023, 12:47:18 am »
@roamer_1

I have always read "The CP candidate" as being a shortcut  to writing "The Communist Party Candidate".

My mistake.

Sorry.

Yep... Your mistake.  :shrug:

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #432 on: August 25, 2023, 12:51:26 am »

Considering that CNN and the NY Times are now attacking DeSantis in defense of Trump, her post is quite sane.
They think they finally have the goods on Trump, so it's time to stop No. 2.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #433 on: August 25, 2023, 12:51:47 am »
He has been a reasonable Governor. If you want better insight, read his veto messages
https://www.governor.nd.gov/sites/www/files/documents/SB-2055-veto-message.pdf
https://www.governor.nd.gov/sites/www/files/documents/Senate%20Bill%202015%20veto%20message.pdf which tend to disclose a rational approach to fiscal and separation of powers within the State Government.

But there is this, on social matters: https://apnews.com/article/transgender-pronouns-schools-veto-north-dakota-3f867fcf1460c11af5da4d7e0f7661e8 Text of Bill: https://legiscan.com/ND/text/SB2231/2023 Senate overturned, House failed to overturn the veto.

He's a mixedbag, some good, some I don't agree with.

https://www.omb.nd.gov/sites/www/files/documents/financial-transparency/state-budgets/2021-23-budget-highlights-brochure.pdf

Thanks @Smokin Joe that veto is a deal killer for me.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #434 on: August 25, 2023, 12:52:20 am »

@Hoodat

WTH?????

Has the world turned upside down while I was napping?
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
« Reply #435 on: August 25, 2023, 12:54:09 am »

Different schools have different curriculum.  Different school boards are much more liberal than others.

As for DeSantis getting rid of CRT -- perhaps it wasn't in their curriculum, but he made certain that it didn't become part of their curriculum.  He is trying like heck to protect our kids!! 
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #436 on: August 25, 2023, 12:54:10 am »
Yep... Your mistake.  :shrug:

@roamer_1

??????

Correct me if I am wrong,but didn't I already say that?
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline corbe

« Reply #437 on: August 25, 2023, 12:54:10 am »
Pedro L. Gonzalez
@emeriticus
Trump is Truthing nonstop, Trump surrogates are juicing Vivek after he imploded although he isn’t their candidate and are fuming about Don Jr. getting deported from Fox’s spin room at a debate Trump didn’t attend because they said it doesn’t matter even though they’re acting now like it matters a lot to control perception of an event nobody supposedly watched. They obviously do care, and they’re worried.

The truth is they’re freaking out because they saw last night the possibility of a movement without Trump and without them. For a moment, neither they nor Trump were the center of attention and it was actually constructive. Normal people got a glimpse of something beyond a circus. That’s bad for the clowns, but it’s good for everyone else.
12:19 PM · Aug 24, 2023
·
 Views
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #438 on: August 25, 2023, 12:54:36 am »
Thanks @Smokin Joe that veto is a deal killer for me.
For me, too. One Awsh*t takes away all your Attaboys

C S Lewis

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #439 on: August 25, 2023, 12:58:23 am »
@roamer_1

??????

Correct me if I am wrong,but didn't I already say that?

Sure. I was just expressing my agreement.

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #440 on: August 25, 2023, 01:01:19 am »

I can't find any of that. I found  that DeSantis gave three examples that they tried, but it wasn't part of the curriculum.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline the OlLine Rebel

« Reply #441 on: August 25, 2023, 01:49:59 am »

Because the “schools” are disingenuous just like this post.

No one used the term “CRT” until everything BLM “caught fire” late 2020.

But this diversity garbage has been shoved down our throats for years, and people found it out due to the COVID hysteria lock-downs.  One of the few great things about COVID hysteria.

Just because you use one term doesn’t mean other terms don’t apply.

Communists are big on the importance of words, and changing them also.  You should know that.

Yes, CRT was already being pushed, under various names.  Ron is not lying.
Common sense is an uncommon virtue.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #442 on: August 25, 2023, 02:07:50 am »
Florida rejects 54 math books, saying some contain critical race theory

Elisha Fieldstadt  |  April 18, 2022, 1:54 PM EDT

Florida's Education Department rejected 54 math books last week, claiming some of the texts referred to critical race theory, or CRT, and other "prohibited topics."

In a statement released Friday, the department said it had rejected 54 of the 132 math textbooks it reviewed, or 41 percent.

"The highest number of books rejected were for grade levels K-5, where an alarming 71 percent were not appropriately aligned with Florida standards or included prohibited topics and unsolicited strategies," the statement said.

The department said 28 of the books were rejected specifically because they "incorporate prohibited topics or unsolicited strategies, including CRT." Lists of the submitted and accepted books that were made available did not say how the rejected books referred to critical race theory.

Other rejected books did not properly align with B.E.S.T. Standards — Benchmarks for Excellent Student Thinking, Florida's answer to Common Core — which Gov. Ron DeSantis has worked to eliminate.  .  .

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/florida-rejects-54-math-books-saying-contain-critical-race-theory-rcna24842

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #443 on: August 25, 2023, 02:11:59 am »
DeSantis Moves to Ban CRT From Florida’s Public Higher Education

Florida governor announced reforms that would require education in the state’s public colleges to be “rooted in Western tradition”

NIKKI MCCANN RAMIREZ  |  JANUARY 31, 2023

FLORIDA GOVERNOR RON DeSantis announced plans to “reform” the state’s public higher education system by banning schools from “supporting campus activities or programs that promote divisive concepts like DEI and CRT.” The proposed reforms are the latest in a string of moves by DeSantis and the Florida Department of Education that target curriculums highlighting diversity and the impact of racism on American history and institutions.

Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) and Critical Race Theory (CRT) have become racial bogeymen for the reactionary right, who have twisted the academic concepts into a remixed version of historic “reverse racism” fear-mongering.

The new policies proposed by DeSantis would require “any general education course be based on providing a strong educational foundation, and not promote ideological indoctrination.” The policies would further mandate institutions of higher learning to “prioritize graduating students with degrees that lead to high-wage jobs, not degrees designed to further a political agenda.”

https://twitter.com/GovRonDeSantis/status/1620468515332587521

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-news/desantis-crt-reforms-ban-florida-higher-education-1234671910/

Still waiting for someone to post the lie that DeSantis supposedly uttered.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #444 on: August 25, 2023, 02:13:26 am »
The results are in and DeSantis won, according to those who voted, but what’s really surprising is that Vivek Ramashawarma pulled on him like crazy.
I think Pence is gone and we have two Indians and a cracker plus Trump from here on out.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #445 on: August 25, 2023, 04:18:50 am »

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #446 on: August 25, 2023, 04:40:42 am »

I found it incredibly amazing, even uplifting, that every one of those guys on stage are
Proud Dallas Cowboys fans!
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #447 on: August 25, 2023, 05:06:24 am »

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #448 on: August 25, 2023, 06:02:08 am »
Calling me insane?  Coming from you I take that as a compliment.  :laugh:

Sorry to disappoint you @libertybele  but I called your post insane, not you.  It was illogical, unjustifiable and damn near politically illiterate. 

DeSantis is the biggest DEM target and with Trump ridiculing him he is helping them.  They are hoping that Trump will take out DeSantis for them.

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
« Reply #449 on: August 25, 2023, 07:10:39 am »
I don’t know if a president DeSantis would have fire Fauci. All I know is that Trump didn’t, and gave him an award.

DeSantis claims he would have. But it’s possible there could be just some Monday morning quarterbacking he’s doing

I am not such a big DeSantis fan that I can't admit he wobbled in the beginning on the Covid issue, heck to be honest, so did I. I seriously considered taking the shot, but didn't. I just didn't know and with some lung issues (among other things), I took the hype with some reservations.

My own governor begged the public to take the shot, she cried that some of us didn't and basically shamed us in front of liberal reporters for not wearing masks.

DeSantis is probable my lead candidate at this time, but he is no deity. As pointed out in the debate, he looked around before raising his hand... He is cautious, and that is not necessarily a bad thing. Everyone of us knows we aren't God, or even close, we are human and don't know everything, but on things we do know to stand, DeSantis seems solid on social issues that are important to me.

Is @bigheadfred  wrong to point out the wobble by DeSantis on Covid, no... and yes even @Right_in_Virginia is right that @DeSantis wobbled. But given the fact that I was on shaky legs on the subject, I feel Ron gained his feet probable faster than I did. Fauci towards the end when shown in full light to be a cockroach should of been thrown out the window, not given medals, but I will give Trump a slight pass on the subject early on, because it was one of those learn as you go things, just Trump was slower than some (far slower than me) to catch up.

Like I said, right now I could vote for DeSantis, but he ain't 100% perfect (sorta like me). He is no Alan Keyes brilliant defender (when Alan was on top of his game). The difference is I ain't acting like I am being paid to support someone unlike some here. I almost expected one of our posters to be indited along with Trump today in how much they defend him (j/k of course). Face it, if you are a paid promoter, you wouldn't waste your time in a small forum like this, and we all know it.

Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....