Author Topic: Live Thread: GOP Debate  (Read 13980 times)

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Re: Live Thread: GOP Debate
« Reply #400 on: August 24, 2023, 08:12:51 pm »
Guys like DeSantis or Burgum with solid records of governance are probably screwed this round because everyone these days seems to want a 3-ring circus show for a candidate rather than an actual track record.

I don't want flash, I want a silent Cal who carries a big stick.
And we wonder where politicians get the idea that they can seize unlimited power and trample on people's enumerated rights for the flimsiest of reasons.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online Lando Lincoln

« Reply #401 on: August 24, 2023, 08:23:50 pm »
Just be aware that Governor Burgum has close ties to Bill Gates.

He does - which will be his Achilles heal should be rise in the polls.
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Online LMAO

« Reply #402 on: August 24, 2023, 08:34:42 pm »
Guys like DeSantis or Burgum with solid records of governance are probably screwed this round because everyone these days seems to want a 3-ring circus show for a candidate rather than an actual track record.

Yup

I have always made the prediction that the next Republican president will be a governor. I just don’t know which one, yet.
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Online LMAO

« Reply #403 on: August 24, 2023, 08:45:30 pm »
There is no better example of a lopsided bubble than the MAGA bubble

Trump is very popular with his voters. Definitely attracts a crowd.

But the world outside of that is a lot more hostile to them.
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #404 on: August 24, 2023, 08:46:41 pm »
Just be aware that Governor Burgum has close ties to Bill Gates.

Thank you @deb Burgum was indeed very high in the Microsoft food chain for some time. Don't know that to be a complete disqualifier but it's close.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online LMAO

« Reply #405 on: August 24, 2023, 08:49:48 pm »
Thank you @deb Burgum was indeed very high in the Microsoft food chain for some time. Don't know that to be a complete disqualifier but it's close.

If I recall, you have expressed some support for him.

If that’s true, why him? I’m not that familiar with him.

Barry Goldwater

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
« Reply #406 on: August 24, 2023, 08:51:50 pm »
There is a lot of substance to Governor Burgum. I hope he gets a look during this process. Since he is currently polling very low, there is no need to destroy him at this time.

Well Burgum who I had never heard of until last night certainly caught my attention.
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
« Reply #407 on: August 24, 2023, 08:53:31 pm »
Considering Trump will be arrested tonight for the fourth time, your post sounds insane @libertybele

Calling me insane?  Coming from you I take that as a compliment.  :laugh:
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
« Reply #408 on: August 24, 2023, 08:54:53 pm »
I want Youngkin but it doesn't look like he will announce...

I was thinking that he would run as well.

Offline deb

• Sinner saved by grace.
« Reply #409 on: August 24, 2023, 08:56:09 pm »

He’s my gov. His nickname is King Doug. He’s done some good stuff in the state (perhaps by accident), but I would not support him for president.
Brothers, sisters, come on down to that river
Guaranteed you'll never be the same
There's a fountain flowing from the heart of the Savior
Bring your sins and all your guilty stains
Let that river of life wash it all away

River of Life - Mac Powell

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #410 on: August 24, 2023, 08:59:17 pm »
I am sorry he posted this insult to you but why are you re-posting it on other threads??
https://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,510487.msg2893062.html#msg2893062

Fair question @mystery-ak   The insult encapsulates a growing sentiment that no challenge to a claim made or action/inaction by RDS or his campaign is permissable ---- even when supported by the governor's own video statements. I wanted to know if the sentiment applied to other threads, too.

Once the "kill the messenger" mantra begins on a thread,  it tends to grow exponentially and I was hoping for public support that such challenges still have a place.

I will remove the quote from the thread you referenced.

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #411 on: August 24, 2023, 09:08:51 pm »
Fair question @mystery-ak   The insult encapsulates a growing sentiment that no challenge to a claim made or action/inaction by RDS or his campaign is permissable ---- even when supported by the governor's own video statements. I wanted to know if the sentiment applied to other threads, too.

Once the "kill the messenger" mantra begins on a thread,  it tends to grow exponentially and I was hoping for public support that such challenges still have a place.

What bullshit.  Maybe if you actually started making fact-based challenges to DeSantis, instead of infantile name-calling and bald-faced lying, you might get a little bit of respect and actual discussion around here.

But you haven't, and you almost certainly won't in future, because that's not what your Cult leader does; you do as he does:  infantile insults and lying.

What you simply cannot stand is that, for whatever warts DeSantis may have, he's actually accomplished things while your cult leader hasn't accomplished much other than to engage in liberal/left-wing spending sprees.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #412 on: August 24, 2023, 09:17:02 pm »

The policy is that if a post report isn't filed I assume the *victim* isn't bothered or doesn't care...so hit the post report button and direct the Mods and I to the post in question.

When everyone starts I issue a stop the personal insults to all or I reluctantly close the thread since no one will stop as it is out of control.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #413 on: August 24, 2023, 09:19:01 pm »

He has a very good record as Governor of North Dakota but otherwise I don't know much about him beyond what anyone can find on the internet.

He's a smart guy who loves his home state. Mortgaged his family land to fund a software startup which became very successful and later sold to Microsoft for $1.1 billion. Worked for MS at a high level for several years before becoming Governor.

I would be very interested in hearing from our N.D. residents on the matter. @deb @Smokin Joe

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online LMAO

« Reply #414 on: August 24, 2023, 09:20:35 pm »
He has a very good record as Governor of North Dakota but otherwise I don't know much about him beyond what anyone can find on the internet.

He's a smart guy who loves his home state. Mortgaged his family land to fund a software startup which became very successful and later sold to Microsoft for $1.1 billion. Worked for MS at a high level for several years before becoming Governor.

I would be very interested in hearing from our N.D. residents on the matter. @deb @Smokin Joe

Thank you for the reply

I don’t know much about him myself to have an opinion about him either way

Barry Goldwater

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #415 on: August 24, 2023, 09:23:10 pm »
He’s my gov. His nickname is King Doug. He’s done some good stuff in the state (perhaps by accident), but I would not support him for president.

I would be very interested in hearing why that is @deb (the part I bolded.)

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online LMAO

« Reply #416 on: August 24, 2023, 09:23:35 pm »
What bullshit.  Maybe if you actually started making fact-based challenges to DeSantis, instead of infantile name-calling and bald-faced lying, you might get a little bit of respect and actual discussion around here.

But you haven't, and you almost certainly won't in future, because that's not what your Cult leader does; you do as he does:  infantile insults and lying.

What you simply cannot stand is that, for whatever warts DeSantis may have, he's actually accomplished things while your cult leader hasn't accomplished much other than to engage in liberal/left-wing spending sprees.

If DeSantis says something that’s not true about his record, it is absolutely fair to point out the inconsistency. But Trump has his own Covid issues and so it’s hard for him to credibly attack Ron DeSantis on the issue.

A lot of mistakes were made when it came to Covid. And I’m not suggesting that Trump nor DeSantis should get a pass. I personally prefer what Sweden did.

The problem with Donald Trump is the mistakes that he made in his first term he’s already promising to double down on those. And I just can’t go for that.

Americans are watching their standard of living decline. And this is not about starving grandmas.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2023, 09:37:49 pm by LMAO »

Barry Goldwater

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #417 on: August 24, 2023, 09:28:08 pm »
@roamer_1

There is a difference?

@sneakypete

Yes... If the CP candidate is sufficiently Conservative (which they usually are), and accessible (on the ballot or valid as write-in), then I will be voting *FOR* a Conservative.

If I must leave the top of the ballot blank, that is because there was not a Conservative to be found.

Simple as that.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #418 on: August 24, 2023, 09:39:48 pm »
That's really his biggest strength. He did best in the debate when he was pointing to the record of what he had accomplished rather than just saying what he would do.

So on the issue of education, he was able to point to banning the teaching of critical race theory and gender studies from Florida classrooms.  On the issue of crime, while everybody else just talked about Soros' prosecutors, he pointed out that he had fired two of them who were refusing to enforce the law in Florida.

To me, that is the real difference between him and the rest of the candidates. We're all used to politicians talking about the things that they would do differently, but it is rare that they can point so specifically to actual examples of how they have done that.

This is also an area where DeSantis is miles above Trump - He has proved his willingness to take strong actions despite massive condemnation from the left.  The left and MSM went after him hard for getting CRT and gender studies out of classrooms, but he stuck with it anyway. They did the same thing when he fired the prosecutors, filing lawsuits against him, etc.. But he's stuck to his guns.

The most obvious difference though, is on COVID. RiV's revisionism aside, most of us remember actually reading at the time how much flack DeSantis was taking for defying government recommendations. I remember reading all the articles from the Washington Post, from the New York times, and Fauci's own comments, saying how DeSantis was essentially murdering older people in Florida.   He took all that flak but stuck to his decisions anyway.

In contrast, the excuse we have been offered on this very site  for Trump's actions regarding Fauci and those recommendations is that he would have taken too much political flack if he had rejected Fauci's recommendations or removed him from that position.  Trump shied away from that kind of political heat, and DeSantis didn't. That is the difference to me.

THIS.  pointing-up

He stuck to his guns... and WON.

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #419 on: August 24, 2023, 09:41:02 pm »
If DeSantis says something that’s not true about his record, it is absolutely fair to point out the inconsistency. But Trump has his own Covid issues and so it’s hard for him to credibly attack Ron DeSantis on the issue.

A lot of mistakes were made when it came to Covid. And I’m not suggesting that Trump nor DeSantis should get a pass. I personally prefer what Sweden did.

The problem with Donald Trump is the mistakes that he made in his first term he’s already promising to double down on those. And I just can’t go for that.

Americans are watching their standard of living decline. And this is not about starving grandmas.

:thumbsup:

Offline berdie

« Reply #420 on: August 24, 2023, 09:46:37 pm »

:beer:

I would have liked to hear more from Burgum as well. Just because he worked for M/S doesn't mean he was tied to Gates at the hip...anymore than I was to the owner of the company I worked for.

As far as last night's debate, overall I thought it was pretty good. There were good points made by all on the stage. I don't agree 100 per cent with any of them, but that's not unusual. Any would be better than Joey or Kammie.

Although Vivek made some good points he is on my "soul searching before I vote" list. Something about him doesn't ring true and he is incredibly annoying and obnoxious. Aside from that, quoting Obama during a Pub debate is kind of dumb. No matter...our primary isn't until March.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #421 on: August 24, 2023, 09:49:17 pm »
I also think it needs to be shouted loud and clear that all of Tumpy's televised ad Beg-a-thons have helped fund the Stone-Pecker Slime machine's that was designed to take down RDS, just like they did with the '16 field.

Trump is pure trash.  He needs to fade off in the sunset ....permanently.

BUMP THAT.

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #422 on: August 24, 2023, 10:06:28 pm »
Didn't watch.
Don't care.
(my only post to this thread)

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #423 on: August 24, 2023, 10:09:32 pm »
Didn't watch.
Don't care.
(my only post to this thread)

:beer:    :patriot:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #424 on: August 24, 2023, 10:15:05 pm »
@sneakypete

Yes... If the CP candidate is sufficiently Conservative (which they usually are), and accessible (on the ballot or valid as write-in), then I will be voting *FOR* a Conservative.

If I must leave the top of the ballot blank, that is because there was not a Conservative to be found.

Simple as that.

@roamer_1

I have always read "The CP candidate" as being a shortcut  to writing "The Communist Party Candidate".

My mistake.

Sorry.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!