Author Topic: Bad Choices  (Read 476 times)

Offline Kamaji

Bad Choices
« on: August 23, 2023, 11:51:36 am »
Bad Choices

John Stossel
Aug 23, 2023

The betting odds say the next election will likely be a rematch between Joe Biden and Donald Trump.

It's odd, since polls show most Americans don't like either man.

There are good reasons for that. My new video covers some of the worst.

Trump is simply mean. He humiliates people, taking pleasure in mocking them publicly.

In his real estate work, he's famous for not paying little people who work for him. He stiffed a cabinet-builder, a dishwasher and a plumber. No one is too small to get bad treatment from Trump.

It's sad that today, America is so divided. Trump makes that worse.

Of course, Biden is divisive, too. Running for office, he promised, "I will draw on the best of us, not the worst."

But now that he's president, he does the opposite. He calls his opponents "full of anger, violence, hate and division." This is drawing on "the best of us"?

Then there are the lies.

Trump lies even about unimportant things, like the crowd at his inauguration, ratings for his TV show, even claiming he won a nonexistent "Man of the Year" award.

And of course, he lies about the big things, like winning the last election "by a landslide."

But Biden lies, too. When Georgia required voters to show identification, Biden called that "Jim Crow on steroids." He said that again and again.

But that's a lie. Jim Crow stopped Black people from voting. After Georgia's law passed, a poll found "zero percent of Black voters said they had a poor voting experience."

Source:  https://townhall.com/columnists/johnstossel/2023/08/23/bad-choices-n2627372

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Re: Bad Choices
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2023, 04:29:25 pm »
 :pondering: Not too opinionated of a piece, eh? Trump is mean, yeah okay childish insults, but Biden is just divisive? Let's be serious both lie, but Biden is the clear winner(not excusing Trump) and as far as mean, sorry Biden is far and away the worst of the two as well as the clear winner concerning divisiveness, hitting the mark on racial, economic and just about any other standard.

Still, I find both unacceptable, Biden for the most obvious reasons and Trump because he is unable to curb his pettiness or mouth and let's face it he is on a par with Biden when it come to vindictiveness. You can take Trump out of the reality TV show, but you can't take the reality TV star out of Trump.

Online Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2023, 04:44:14 pm »
He does point out that Biden is a big fat liar too.  I don't think he really favors one over the other -- his point is more that they are both unacceptably bad.

I've always liked Stossel, and I think he got it exactly right here.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2023, 04:48:39 pm »
He does point out that Biden is a big fat liar too.  I don't think he really favors one over the other -- his point is more that they are both unacceptably bad.

I've always liked Stossel, and I think he got it exactly right here.

John Stossel is an avowed Libertarian and long has been.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2023, 05:09:32 pm »
John Stossel is an avowed Libertarian and long has been.

As a libertarian-leaning conservative, I'm fine with that.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2023, 05:17:07 pm »
As a libertarian-leaning conservative, I'm fine with that.

:yowsa: I am as well. Although my differences with those folks are not reconcilable meaning I cannot be a part of their party.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2023, 05:17:47 pm »
:yowsa: I am as well. Although my differences with those folks are not reconcilable meaning I cannot be a part of their party.

I think the Libertarian Party itself tends to be bonkers.  But libertarianism is not.

Offline DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2023, 05:23:58 pm »
The Primary and General election require reforms to break the Mexican stand-off between GOP and Dem extremists.

1.) Primaries should be spread over a longer period, in order of states by the number of Electoral votes, from fewest to most.  Smaller states would receive the attention they need and deserve.

2.) States should allocate electors by which candidate won each Congressional district and allocate 2 Senate electors to overall state winner - similar to Maine and Nebraska in 2020.  Each party would have the potential to poach electors from states dominated by the other party.

There should be no safe state, nor safe districts, for either party.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline cato potatoe

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2023, 08:37:56 pm »
"Jim Crow on Steroids" has to rank among the most hideous lies uttered by a politician, anywhere.

Online Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2023, 09:07:05 pm »
The Primary and General election require reforms to break the Mexican stand-off between GOP and Dem extremists.

1.) Primaries should be spread over a longer period, in order of states by the number of Electoral votes, from fewest to most.  Smaller states would receive the attention they need and deserve.

2.) States should allocate electors by which candidate won each Congressional district and allocate 2 Senate electors to overall state winner - similar to Maine and Nebraska in 2020.  Each party would have the potential to poach electors from states dominated by the other party.

There should be no safe state, nor safe districts, for either party.

Good ideas, but I think the parties prefer for the nominations to be decided fairly quickly so candidates don't "waste" resources on the primaries.

I personally prefer your approach.