Author Topic: Ukraine war prompts new US air tactics in Europe  (Read 151 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Ukraine war prompts new US air tactics in Europe
« on: August 22, 2023, 05:47:34 pm »
Ukraine war prompts new US air tactics in Europe
By Rachel S. Cohen
 Friday, Aug 18

Nineteen months into Russia’s war on Ukraine, its lessons are shaping how the U.S. Air Force thinks about combat over Europe.

The conflict is pushing the Pentagon to focus on tactics instead of the strategic-level chess moves that have defined the U.S.-Russia military relationship in Europe since the end of the Cold War, Gen. James Hecker, the Air Force’s top officer in Europe, told Air Force Times in a recent interview.

No longer are allied air forces passively circling over Europe for the sake of visibility. U.S. pilots and their counterparts now use air policing missions to practice offensive and defensive maneuvers along NATO’s eastern border.

Struck by Russia’s inability to control Ukrainian airspace and Ukraine’s inability to fully secure it, NATO has begun working through the details of how it would maintain ownership of its own skies while breaking through enemy defenses to secure more airspace.

https://www.defensenews.com/news/your-air-force/2023/08/18/ukraine-war-prompts-new-us-air-tactics-in-europe/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson