Author Topic: HOW TO GET THROUGH SPECIAL FORCES SELECTION? DON’T BE THE ‘GREY MAN’ SPECIAL OPERATIONS  (Read 331 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
HOW TO GET THROUGH SPECIAL FORCES SELECTION? DON’T BE THE ‘GREY MAN’
SPECIAL OPERATIONS
BY STEVE BALESTRIERI
AUGUST 21, 2023

When talking about the dos and don’ts of taking on the Special Operations Assessment and Selection courses that the military has to offer, there are a ton of opinions out there, and I feel, a lot of misconceptions as well. This is particularly true when it comes to being the “Grey Man,’ which is a common name people use to describe an operator who can blend seamlessly into their environment.

I’ve been asked about this countless times in emails. One of the more common questions I receive from prospective candidates is always about trying to blend in at Assessment and Selection – being the Grey Man. I spoke with someone just in the past few weeks about this very subject.

There is no shortage of people who will tell you being the Grey Man is important, some of them will be Special Operations Selection cadre members. So, respectively, I’ll disagree. Overall, unless you’re an intelligence professional trained at blending in and being invisible, I will stick with my original advice and say in the majority of instances, it isn’t a smart thing to do. I will explain why below, but first, my caveat:

Yes, there are times when you absolutely, positively need to be the guy people standing in front of you are going to look right past while giving their attention to someone else.

https://www.sandboxx.us/news/dont-be-the-grey-man-be-yourself-at-special-forces-selection/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
I told my son to be a "gray man" in Navy bootcamp.  He did a fine job since his DIs didn't even know his name upon graduation.  Five years later, they would have had to call him sir if they were talking to him. :salute:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Kamaji

I'll keep that in mind the next time I try out!

:silly:

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
I told my son to be a "gray man" in Navy bootcamp.  He did a fine job since his DIs didn't even know his name upon graduation.  Five years later, they would have had to call him sir if they were talking to him. :salute:

@rangerrebew

Unless things have changed drastically,that won't work in SFTG. For one thing,EVERY student takes turns being the detachment commander and issuing orders as well as creating battle plans. You might see an E-4 giving orders to an 0-3 one day,and a SSG giving them both orders the next day.

And the reality is that a young E-5 may well end up leading patrols against the enemy because he just happens to be the only one available at the time.

I,personally,ended up being the company motor pool sgt once because I had the misfortune of walking past the SGM's office right after he hung up the telephone with Group Headquarters telling him they were creating a branch of the Group Motor Pool in our company. There MAY have been someone somewhere in the army that knew less than I knew about running a motor pool than me,but I have no idea who it would have been.

The SGM told me to not worry about it because he was going to send me some detail men to help me do the inventory,repaint bumper numbers,etc,etc,etc.

I was an E-4 at the time. He sent me an E-6 and 2 E-7's as detail men to work under me. No such thing as a learning curve,just throw me in and see if I sink or swim.

Worse freaking job I ever had in my entire life. Luckily for me and everyone else,Group Headquarters managed to find an actual QUALIFED motor sergeant to take over in just a few days,and I could go back to doing things like cross training in actual SF career fields.

SF may be the only military organization where E-5's and  E-9's are buddies.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2023, 11:47:39 pm by sneakypete »
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!