Author Topic: What Do Supporters of Net Zero Believe?  (Read 161 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
What Do Supporters of Net Zero Believe?
« on: August 21, 2023, 10:27:15 am »
What Do Supporters of Net Zero Believe?
Trying to understand what other people are thinking is hard

POSTED ON 05 AUG 23
BY JITIN NET ZERO, UNCATEGORIZED

Some sceptics (including YT) see Net Zero as a colossal folly, tantamount to national suicide for the UK. Its premise (the “climate crisis”) is without foundation, and worse, UK Net Zero would not answer any crisis without substantial buy-in from a large proportion of the world’s countries, which only the naïve believe will transpire. Whether the buy-in happens or not, the project will drive down living standards, freedom, trash the environment, etc. So much so obvious.

Sceptics have been taking a licking for years. Few seem to publicly agree with the above diagnosis; support for Net Zero is vocal and allegedly widespread – even if a few cracks have appeared in the last two weeks thanks to the catalyst of the unpopular extension to London’s ULEZ. We in the UK are nominally still on track for Net Zero, even if, as I believe, it will never happen: each incremental step towards Net Zero will be harder than the previous, ensuring its eventual abandonment. It would be preferable if the project was abandoned sooner rather than later; before the lights go out, and before we slide down the greasy pole of civilisation too far.

I got to wondering how supporters of Net Zero could be persuaded to change their minds. And so I fell down a rabbit hole. What induces people to support Net Zero? Do people who support Net Zero all believe that it will solve the “climate crisis”? They can’t be that naïve, surely? Perhaps they support it for other reasons – seeing the UK as bearing a standard that other countries will rally behind? Maybe there are people who claim to support Net Zero, because they don’t dare to openly oppose it?

https://cliscep.com/2023/08/05/what-do-supporters-of-net-zero-believe/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson