Author Topic: Christie: Social Security, Medicare cuts are a necessary ‘political risk’ in today’s economy  (Read 346 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
 Christie: Social Security, Medicare cuts are a necessary ‘political risk’ in today’s economy
by Nick Robertson - 08/19/23 10:42 AM ET

Former New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie (R) said it’s time to take a “political risk” and consider changes to Social Security and Medicare benefits for young people.

Changes to the programs are necessary, or they could run out of money for everyone in about a decade as the country faces a rising national debt, the presidential candidate said.

“The most disgusting part of Joe Biden’s State of the Union address this year was when he stood up, and he said, ‘We’ll all agree, right? We’re not going to do anything to Social Security?’ And both sides got up and cheered,” Christie said at conservative radio host Erick Erickson’s conference in Atlanta on Saturday. 

“[They’re] a group of liars and cowards, because they know they know that in 10 years, Medicare will be bankrupt. And in 11 years, Social Security will be bankrupt.”

The fund behind Social Security is on track to become insolvent in about a decade, according to federal analysis. If that happens, it can only pay out the amount of money it receives, meaning the average benefit would reduce significantly.

more
https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/4159979-christie-social-security-medicare-cuts-are-a-necessary-political-risk-in-todays-economy/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline LMAO

He’s right

Both of these programs cannot exist in their present form. Donald Trump has no plan, and the other Republicans seem to be avoiding the subject.

But it’s an issue that’s gonna have to be faced. Whether or not one supports these programs or not, is irrelevant. The demographics and the mathematics make them impossible to continue without major overhauls
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline Kamaji

He’s right

Both of these programs cannot exist in their present form. Donald Trump has no plan, and the other Republicans seem to be avoiding the subject.

But it’s an issue that’s gonna have to be faced. Whether or not one supports these programs or not, is irrelevant. The demographics and the mathematics make them impossible to continue without major overhauls

:thumbsup:

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
:thumbsup:

Other GOP candidates have said the same, and if that's the issue that sinks them and hands the nomination to Trump because he demagogues it, so be it.

At least they'll have lost telling the truth.

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
I note he refers to younger people. I know of younger people getting payments for 'disabilities' that could be fixed by getting a swift kick in the, a haircut and a job.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley