Author Topic: U.S. Air Force Announces Development Of Blended Wing Body Aircraft Demonstrator  (Read 197 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
U.S. Air Force Announces Development Of Blended Wing Body Aircraft Demonstrator
August 17, 2023 Military AviationSTEFANO D'URSO

JetZero was selected to develop a prototype that will help to mature BWB technology and demonstrate its capabilities.

The Department of the Air Force announced the selection of JetZero for the next phase of a blended wing body prototype aircraft project on August 16, 2023. The effort aims to mature BWB technology and demonstrate its capabilities, giving the department and commercial industry more options for future air platforms.

With a design that differs from a traditional tube-and-wing aircraft, the BWB blends the aircraft body into its high-aspect-ratio wing, decreasing aerodynamic drag by at least 30% and providing additional lift. This increased efficiency will enable extended range, more loiter time, and increased payload delivery efficiencies, capabilities that are vital to mitigating logistics risks, especially in a possible fight over the Pacific Ocean.

“Blended wing body aircraft have the potential to significantly reduce fuel demand and increase global reach,” said Secretary of the Air Force Frank Kendall. “Moving forces and cargo quickly, efficiently, and over long distance is a critical capability to enable national security strategy.” In fact, according to the USAF, the logistics aircraft types account for approximately 60% of the Air Force’s total annual jet fuel consumption, so the capabilities of the BWB could make a huge impact.

https://theaviationist.com/2023/08/17/usaf-blended-wing-body-aircraft/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson